Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 11:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You're clean, wearing a suit. Oh, wait - you play a nerd game? Fuck you then.
You're clean, wearing a suit. Oh, wait - you play a nerd game? Fuck you then.
I preserved the main text as the kind woman who wrote it has taken to revising (read as rewriting it) this piece to make her seem less like a judgmental bitch (which she is, given the differences between this version and the current one).

However, I found the aspect of "betrayal" (bolded in the segment below) to be interesting.

Reddit is hopping mad all over her, but frankly, I feel a bit put out that the world champion of a highly competitive card game is not good enough for a person who helps author some online rag.

REF: http://gizmodo.com/5833787/my-brief-okcu...ing-player

Quote:

At dinner I got straight down to it. Did he still play? "Yes." Strike one. How often? "I’m preparing for a tournament this weekend." Strike two. Who did he hang out with? "I’ve met all my best friends through Magic." Strike three. I smiled and nodded and listened. Eventually I even felt a little bit bad that I didn’t know shit about the game. Here was a guy who had dedicated a good chunk of his life to mastering Magic, on a date with a girl who can barely play Solitaire. This is what happens, I thought, when you lie in your online profile. I was lured on a date thinking I’d met a normal finance guy, only to realise he was a champion dweeb in hedge funder’s clothing.

I later found out that he infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people I sort of know, including one of my co-workers. Mothers, warn your daughters! This could happen to you. You’ll think you’ve found a normal bearded guy with a job, only to end up sharing goat cheese with a world champion of nerds. Maybe I’m an OKCupid arsehole for calling it that way. Maybe I’m shallow for not being able to see past his world title. But if everyone stopped lying in their profiles, maybe there also wouldn’t be quite as many OKCupid horror stories to tell.

So what did I learn? Google the shit out of your next online date. Like, hardcore. Also, for all you world famous nerds out there: Don’t go after two Gawker Media employees and not expect to have a post written about you. We live for this kind of stuff.

My reaction to the article:
And what did I learn, lady? That you're no prize yourself and since when is it incumbent on anyone to place extraneous information (like hobbies and whatnot) in a fucking dating profile? Have you no sense?

Enjoy your harassment though. While I'll not participate, I'm sure quite a few nerds and normals will enjoy making public spectacle of what you tried to do to an upstanding citizen, whose only crime was to try to go on a date.
RE: You're clean, wearing a suit. Oh, wait - you play a nerd game? Fuck you then.
Wait...is this referring to you?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
RE: You're clean, wearing a suit. Oh, wait - you play a nerd game? Fuck you then.
[refrains from comparing to recent events in the skeptic community...]
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Syn,

It's simple, next time you're out on a date like that, just try NOT telling her about your world championship of Magic. Tongue

[Image: Evolution.png]

(August 30, 2011 at 7:00 pm)FaithNoMore Wrote: Wait...is this referring to you?

No you git. I am referring to the article that was referenced and shared on Reddit.

(August 30, 2011 at 7:39 pm)Cinjin Wrote: Syn,

It's simple, next time you're out on a date like that, just try NOT telling her about your world championship of Magic. Tongue

S'not about me, man. Commenting on the article.

Can't you read the references?
(August 30, 2011 at 7:54 pm)Moros Synackaon Wrote: S'not about me, man. Commenting on the article.

Can't you read the references?

yeah I know women - nothin new there. Most women want perfection, and use Hollywood's romantic comedies as a guide for that perfection. Allah forbid that someone have a hobby that doesn't meet leading-man specifications.

I know it's horse shit - you know its horse shit ... and that woman is a fucking bitch

... Doesn't change the fact that we all know you're a self-proclaimed fantasy gamer and it if you're going to lob a soft ball in like that --- I'm going to knock it outta the park brother.

Sometimes, you just gotta give a guy a little good-natured ribbing. Tongue
[Image: Evolution.png]

Holy shit. She had a chance to go out with the Magic world champion and she didn't?! Shock

The fuck is wrong with her? 0.o
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(August 30, 2011 at 7:06 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: [refrains from comparing to recent events in the skeptic community...]

Aww, go on Wink
(August 30, 2011 at 6:55 pm)Moros Synackaon Wrote: And what did I learn, lady? That you're no prize yourself and since when is it incumbent on anyone to place extraneous information (like hobbies and whatnot) in a fucking dating profile? Have you no sense?

Enjoy your harassment though. While I'll not participate, I'm sure quite a few nerds and normals will enjoy making public spectacle of what you tried to do to an upstanding citizen, whose only crime was to try to go on a date.

So she didn't want to date a AAA rated nerd... Fair enough, it's a fairly substantial interest of his that she doesn't share, it would be like calling off a relationship with a girl after you found out she had a massive doll collection and went to conventions... Was writing an article about it a bit crass? Sure... But really, what's so offensive about this situation?

The fact she's being harassed for it is pretty pathetic.

Besides, with all the publicity he's probably been propositioned by a few women who are more in line with his interests.
I'm a robotbuilding robotfighting nerd, and if a potential date is put off by that she can go fuck herself.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
I read it yesterday and I'm responding now so hopefully I didn't skip this sentence if it existed but did she ask if he had OTHER interests? Friends in OTHER areas? If he was the world champ, of course his closest friends would be from that world - they share his values! Doesn't mean he's single-faceted.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What the fuck even is my life Ahriman 30 1384 August 27, 2023 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: MR. Macabre 666
  Then and now. onlinebiker 16 1102 May 24, 2020 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  There's social distancing, and then there's SOCIAL DISTANCING!!!!! Gawdzilla Sama 8 791 March 24, 2020 at 10:53 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Lets play mastermind Nay_Sayer 9 585 November 28, 2019 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  [Not Serious]Pick one, then post the next selection. Gawdzilla Sama 64 2756 October 18, 2019 at 8:07 pm
  somebody, Please Talk Sense into My Stupid Head. I Think I'm Getting Ready to Fuck Up Rhondazvous 30 2248 September 13, 2018 at 5:41 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  How to know your SO is a nerd. Gawdzilla Sama 11 1131 August 29, 2018 at 11:48 am
  When The Ever-Loving Fuck Did THIS Become Acceptable?? BrianSoddingBoru4 40 4572 July 17, 2018 at 10:53 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Play Mr.Obvious 16 1691 May 6, 2018 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Well, then... Foxaèr 6 766 March 17, 2018 at 12:53 pm
Last Post: brewer