Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another brilliant one from SMBC
Another brilliant one from SMBC
[Image: 20110902.gif]
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

RE: Another brilliant one from SMBC
ROFLOL

Sooooo True!!
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
To a physicist, about 98% of the total atoms in one's body are replaced within one year's time. Accounting for the spaces between those atoms and their nucleus's and respective electrons, nearly 100% of the human body is mostly empty space.

To a biologist, we're just a biological self-replicating sequence, an arrangement. Our bodies have totally new cells in them than from seven years ago. 90% of the cells inside and outside our bodies are actually microbes. We're a bag of micro-organisms, parasites and pathogens.

To a chemist, our cells consist anywhere between 65–90% water. Therefore oxygen has the vast majority of our bodies' total mass, then followed by carbon and the rest.
We're chiefly made up of six elements oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium, and phosphorus.

"I" is an illusion.
And yet we can think about ourselves in those numbers. Pretty fantastic, isn't it? Wink
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

WE are the borg?
Were we to abduct cells and inculcate them against their "will" into our collective, then yes.

Since cells don't have "will" and we don't integrate random cells into our whole, then no.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
We probably don't have a will either. "Will" is just a well orchestrated illusion perpetrated by a collection of cells. So, each individual cell has a potential for many different kinds of existences and we are bending their existence to our "will" so the net effect is an opportunity cost of that cell doing something else. If I was a cell I would want to be a penis nerve cell that never encountered VD. Smile Or maybe a brain cell in the pleasure center of the brain. Imagine being forced to be a skin or fingernail cell! The humanity!
(September 7, 2011 at 6:59 am)Kayenneh Wrote: And yet we can think about ourselves in those numbers. Pretty fantastic, isn't it? Wink
Its not everyday when someone finds out they're infinitesimal they get a buzz from it, but sure, whatever floats your boat, I [this body] guess. Undecided
Oh, I've found out about it a while ago, it just doesn't bother me Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SMBC] Teaching pocaracas 1 1267 September 8, 2013 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: Kayenneh
  [SMBC] argument from batman pocaracas 2 2139 April 9, 2013 at 4:34 pm
Last Post: MikeTheInfidel
  [smbc] headbricks pocaracas 3 1967 October 29, 2012 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  [SMBC] tree of knowledge pocaracas 0 1628 September 26, 2012 at 4:48 am
Last Post: pocaracas