Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 7:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency
No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency
This show has just started here and I am enchanted.

Made in Botswana,it is based on a series of popular books of the same name..

The protagonist is a lady called Precious Ramotswe, who describes herself as "a traditional African woman" IE: of very generous proportions.

The show has a sweetness and naivete about it,but deals with some serious issues. Eg a recent episode dealt with the kidnapping of a young boy who was to be murdered and his body parts used in witchcraft. When caught,such people are tried,and if found guilty,are hanged.

Quote:The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency is a television comedy-drama series, produced by the BBC in conjunction with HBO, and based on the novels of the same name by Alexander McCall Smith. The novels focus on the story of a detective agency opened by Mma Ramotswe and her courtship with the mechanic Mr. JLB Matekoni. The series was filmed on location in Botswana and was seen as one of the first major film or television productions to be undertaken in Botswana.[1] (The Gods Must Be Crazy, a 1980 film set in Botswana was filmed mainly in South Africa.[2])
The programme began with a feature-length pilot episode on 23 March 2008. Executive producer Anthony Minghella directed the episode and co-wrote the adaptation with fellow executive producer Richard Curtis. A six-episode series concluded in the UK on 19 April 2009. HBO began broadcasting the series on 29 March 2009. In 2010 the show won a Peabody Award for its 2009 season.[3] It was cancelled due to poor ratings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_No._1_L...characters

I will see if I can get hold of the books in PDF form.
RE: No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency
(October 2, 2011 at 3:26 am)padraic Wrote: When caught,such people are tried,and if found guilty,are hanged.

Let me guess -- bullet and machete shortage?
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
(October 2, 2011 at 4:02 am)Moros Synackaon Wrote:
(October 2, 2011 at 3:26 am)padraic Wrote: When caught,such people are tried,and if found guilty,are hanged.

Let me guess -- bullet and machete shortage?

Spent a lot of time in Botswana have you?

Sometimes Moros,you you can be a bit of a dick.
Haha, he can. I feel a certain kinship with him. Tongue

Anyway, I will try to catch it on the internet, if possible. I'm currently looking for something to fill in my Wilfred time. I don't watch much television, so it is hard for me to find out what is good.
(October 2, 2011 at 3:26 am)padraic Wrote: This show has just started here and I am enchanted.

Made in Botswana,it is based on a series of popular books of the same name..

The protagonist is a lady called Precious Ramotswe, who describes herself as "a traditional African woman" IE: of very generous proportions.

The show has a sweetness and naivete about it,but deals with some serious issues. Eg a recent episode dealt with the kidnapping of a young boy who was to be murdered and his body parts used in witchcraft. When caught,such people are tried,and if found guilty,are hanged.

Quote:The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency is a television comedy-drama series, produced by the BBC in conjunction with HBO, and based on the novels of the same name by Alexander McCall Smith. The novels focus on the story of a detective agency opened by Mma Ramotswe and her courtship with the mechanic Mr. JLB Matekoni. The series was filmed on location in Botswana and was seen as one of the first major film or television productions to be undertaken in Botswana.[1] (The Gods Must Be Crazy, a 1980 film set in Botswana was filmed mainly in South Africa.[2])
The programme began with a feature-length pilot episode on 23 March 2008. Executive producer Anthony Minghella directed the episode and co-wrote the adaptation with fellow executive producer Richard Curtis. A six-episode series concluded in the UK on 19 April 2009. HBO began broadcasting the series on 29 March 2009. In 2010 the show won a Peabody Award for its 2009 season.[3] It was cancelled due to poor ratings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_No._1_L...characters

I will see if I can get hold of the books in PDF form.

Maybe I should give it another shot. I was given the first book as a present, but I didn't read it, I'm not really into mystery.
"And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him." Hebrews 11:6

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  True Detective on religion. Jehanne 2 778 September 4, 2022 at 8:38 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Crazy Cat ladies! ignoramus 0 423 June 1, 2018 at 4:43 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Iran news agency falls for hoax. downbeatplumb 7 3140 October 6, 2012 at 5:15 am
Last Post: JohnDG