Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Probabilities
Probabilities
I recently had an argument with some dudes concerning probability. You see, this weekend there was 10 000 000 € as the prize in Lotto and we started to disuss the probability of actually getting seven numbers right out of 37 numbers.

Now, they stated that it is more likely to win, if you keep the same set of numbers every time you play. I on the other hand said that it's not true, since the probability for a set to be the winning one is always the same, because a set is not eliminated once it has been used. If this was the case, it would be indeed wise to use the same set of numbers, because the chances of winning would slightly increase with every game played.

I wonder, did I remember my probabilities right, or were the guys I argued with right?
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

RE: Probabilities
The chances of any particular set of numbers turning up are exactly the same as any other set of numbers, regardless of whether they have turned up before or not.

For example, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 is just as likely as any other set of numbers and just because it turns up once the chances of it turning up again the next week are exactly the same.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
That is why I always go with a lucky dip
Cunt
Thanks Dar. I thought as much Smile

(October 2, 2011 at 6:59 am)Darwinian Wrote: For example, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 is just as likely as any other set of numbers and just because it turns up once the chances of it turning up again the next week are exactly the same.

Though, if you have 1 2 3 4 5 6 7, you're not as likely to win the whole prize yourself, since that is the most popular set that people play with Big Grin
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(October 2, 2011 at 8:05 am)Kayenneh Wrote: Though, if you have 1 2 3 4 5 6 7, you're not as likely to win the whole prize yourself, since that is the most popular set that people play with Big Grin

That's what everyone thinks which is why you should play it Devil
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(October 2, 2011 at 6:50 am)Kayenneh Wrote: I recently had an argument with some dudes concerning probability. You see, this weekend there was 10 000 000 € as the prize in Lotto
Oh crap, I forgot to play.

Well at least I know the chances of me winning are none, and they say nothing is certain in life. Tongue

(October 2, 2011 at 10:08 am)Welsh cake Wrote: Oh crap, I forgot to play.

Well at least I know the chances of me winning are none, and they say nothing is certain in life. Tongue

You know, not playing means that your chances of winning are 0, but if you play there's always the possibility that you do. Though granted, it's small as hell Wink

(October 2, 2011 at 8:05 am)Kayenneh Wrote:
(October 2, 2011 at 6:59 am)Darwinian Wrote: For example, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 is just as likely as any other set of numbers and just because it turns up once the chances of it turning up again the next week are exactly the same.

Though, if you have 1 2 3 4 5 6 7, you're not as likely to win the whole prize yourself, since that is the most popular set that people play with Big Grin

Let's say the prize is $10m and you are one of ten people who have chosen 1 2 3 4 5 6 7, and let's say they are the winning numbers. In that case, you and the other 9 people will collect $1m for each winning ticket.

But what if you buy eleven tickets and select 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 on each of them. Now there are 20 winning tickets sharing the prize pool and each will pay $500,000 - but you have eleven shares and collect $5,500,000 (more than half the prize pool).

Purchase 91 tickets and now there are 100 tickets worth $100,000 each - but you have 91 shares and collect $9,100,000 (nearly all of the prize pool).

[Of course, you might lose.]
I know the probability of winning the national lottery (6 numbers out of 49) has been quoted at 14 million : 1, I'd imagine the odds of winning the Euromillions aren't too good either.

For comparisons sake, your odds of being killed in a car crash are 10,000 : 1.

By rights, you should die 140 times before winning the lottery, if odds were fair and, well, not a lottery.
You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

(November 18, 2011 at 2:15 pm)Norfolk And Chance Wrote: has been quoted at 14 million : 1, I'd imagine the odds of winning the Euromillions aren't too good either.

Adccording to wolfram-alpha, the odds from euromilions are 1 in 116 531 800 Confused Fall

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=euromilions