Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
enlighten me!
enlighten me!
Hi, my name is Victoria and I'm a new member of your site. Now I must admit I am not entirely an atheist (I'm a bit unsure of my religious views), but I'm definitely interested in your beliefs. Now to my main point, I've come to your site with a purpose: I'm conducting a research project on new atheism.

Throughout the year in my composition class we have been reviewing works from Joseph Campbell. My task appointed to me by my instructor was to plan a research project around a topic that interested you most. So I chose the idea that atheism is becoming a more common route for the modern American.

From there I was required to do some research on what you guys are all about. From my university's religious database I mostly found attacks on the idea of new atheism, but from all these rants and raves came an article in support of new atheism. It spoke of the ideas of Dawkins, Dennett, and Harris and uniting themes between them. From there I found the real ammo for my research.

So what I'm interested in is YOUR opinion on A) religious violence B) cognitive science on religion and C) morality.

I'd be so delighted to perform some brief online interviews with a couple of you on these three topics for my research on the validity behind new atheism. Let the enlightening begin!

P.S. I'd be glad to share with you my annotated bibliography of the sources I used and a letter from the University of Central Florida solidifying this research plan.

-Victoria C.
RE: enlighten me!
I'm not exactly with this 'New Atheism', I didn't really know there was a 'new atheism' thing. For you lot to read - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Atheism

Feel free to ask any question you may have.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
I'm afraid you'll have to come up with some more specific questions than that.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
I already have a set of questions I'm working on with my instructor, but at this point I'm just looking for interested subjects to be a part of my study.
I'd be interested, but based on the idea you chose: "atheism on the rise in modern America" I might be excluded.
I will warn you that many atheists, especially ones in America, will be reluctant to do such a thing. they may be afraid that their name will get out in the open and they will lose their family, friends, and employment...and also the threats of violence that may come.

I have done an interview with a local newspaper, and I had quite a few threats of violence. Some even went so far as to track my address down and send me letters telling me not to raise my children anything other than christian and such
I'll answer any questions you got tonight. It's rainy and depressing as fuck outside and I'm going to stop to pick up a salad and wine and drink while I do homework - always produces interesting results. Hit me with with your best shot.
Quote:I'm conducting a research project on new atheism.

I'm an old atheist. I see no evidence for any of the gods which human imagination has concocted over the centuries.

I'm not at all sure how "new atheism" has improved on this or even what you mean by the term.

Now religion most assuredly does exist....to the detriment of humanity and the aggrandizement of a parasitic priest class. "God" is merely the product which religion sells.
(October 11, 2011 at 4:18 pm)reverendjeremiah Wrote: I will warn you that many atheists, especially ones in America, will be reluctant to do such a thing. they may be afraid that their name will get out in the open and they will lose their family, friends, and employment...and also the threats of violence that may come.

I have done an interview with a local newspaper, and I had quite a few threats of violence. Some even went so far as to track my address down and send me letters telling me not to raise my children anything other than christian and such

That's real bad. Talk about intolerance. Over here it's near opposite. Most theists wouldn't give a fuck. Also that most people either believe in god and don't care or are atheist. Move over here buddy! Big Grin

A majority of people I've met are atheists, including all the people I've worked with. Got a lot of freedom from religion, Sweden has more though. Tongue
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
They already think I'm a witch here - I don't give a shit about anyone except my mother and she lives 300 miles away.