Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My New Astro Photos Of The Day
My New Astro Photos Of The Day
[Image: main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_it...alNumber=2]

First Quarter Moon, 10/04/2011 B&W
A stack of 25 high definition images taken at ISO 100 and 1/250s.

IC 410, in Auriga

I've been meaning to post this for a while,
but was never completely satisfied with it.
I'm still not, but it's the best I can do with
the 35 minutes of data I have.

Image:

7x5 minutes - 35 minutes total exposure at ISO 800 (Autoguided)

Camera:

Hutech Modified Canon T1i with Baader Coma corrector and Baader UV-IR cut filter

Equipment:

200mm f5 Modified Konus Newtonian OTA
Losmandy G-11 GEM with Gemini Go To
80mm f5 Orion Shorty Autoguide scope with Orion Star Shooter autoguider
Losmandy heavy duty tripod.
Imaged on January 4, 2011 at LAS Observatory, Curby, Indiana

IC 2162, in Orion

This is another photo I took on the same night
as ther previous one that I thought had a problem
with the stars (guiding wasn't very good). Surprisingly,
when I decided to process it, it looked better than
I thought it would, even though I only had about
20 minutes of total exposure. This is definitely on
my redo list for this winter.

Image:

4x5 minutes - 20 minutes total exposure at ISO 800 (Autoguided)

Camera:

Hutech Modified Canon T1i with Baader Coma corrector and Baader UV-IR cut filter

Equipment:

200mm f5 Modified Konus Newtonian OTA
Losmandy G-11 GEM with Gemini Go To
80mm f5 Orion Shorty Autoguide scope with Orion Star Shooter autoguider
Losmandy heavy duty tripod.
Imaged on January 4, 2011 at LAS Observatory, Curby, Indiana

Seeing was good that night.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
RE: My New Astro Photos Of The Day
I love the first one, man. It always helps to show the creationists that their god did such a good job setting up his 'perfect' universe that the moon is blasted with impact craters.
(October 19, 2011 at 8:13 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I love the first one, man. It always helps to show the creationists that their god did such a good job setting up his 'perfect' universe that the moon is blasted with impact craters.

Well, the other ones are star factories. And we are, after all, made of star stuff. Maybe they will give us a come back like "yeah, but that's where the devil makes his fossils to confuse us with". Devil
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
I wouldn't doubt it.

Min, I think that the moon actually looks more beautiful with all those craters on it. It would look quite dreary if it was completely round and plain on the surface, in my opinion.
Ooooh, really beautiful! Thanks for sharing Smile
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Thanks for the Reps, peeps. That was unexpected.

- Dr. Donald Prothero
NASA observing a Late Heavy Bombardment in another solar system?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/201...161940.htm

Quote:ScienceDaily (Oct. 19, 2011) — NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope has detected signs of icy bodies raining down in an alien solar system. The downpour resembles our own solar system several billion years ago during a period known as the "Late Heavy Bombardment," which may have brought water and other life-forming ingredients to Earth.

During this epoch, comets and other frosty objects that were flung from the outer solar system pummeled the inner planets. The barrage scarred our moon and produced large amounts of dust.

Now Spitzer has spotted a band of dust around a nearby bright star in the northern sky called Eta Corvi that strongly matches the contents of an obliterated giant comet. This dust is located close enough to Eta Corvi that Earth-like worlds could exist, suggesting a collision took place between a planet and one or more comets. The Eta Corvi system is approximately one billion years old, which researchers think is about the right age for such a hailstorm.

"We believe we have direct evidence for an ongoing Late Heavy Bombardment in the nearby star system Eta Corvi, occurring about the same time as in our solar system," said Carey Lisse, senior research scientist at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in Laurel, Md., and lead author of a paper detailing the findings. The findings will be published in the Astrophysical Journal. Lisse presented the results at the Signposts of Planets meeting at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md., on Oct. 19.
(October 20, 2011 at 9:47 am)orogenicman Wrote: Thanks for the Reps, peeps. That was unexpected.

You're welcome.

Also, I don't know if you have seen this before, but you are one of the winners of the AF Nutty Awards. Big Grin
Quote:The Telescope of AF:
orogenicman

http://atheistforums.org/thread-9004.html

(October 20, 2011 at 2:41 pm)Rayaan Wrote: You're welcome.

Also, I don't know if you have seen this before, but you are one of the winners of the AF Nutty Awards. Big Grin
Quote:The Telescope of AF:
orogenicman

http://atheistforums.org/thread-9004.html

Hehehe. I'm honored.

- Dr. Donald Prothero

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New astrophoto of the day orogenicman 6 4806 March 19, 2011 at 6:12 am
Last Post: orogenicman
  My Astro Photo Of The Day orogenicman 98 25957 January 7, 2011 at 10:31 am
Last Post: orogenicman