Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 1, 2024, 6:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We are not even a speck!
We are not even a speck!
Just to heighten our awareness of how insignificant we are in the total expanse of the universe.

You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
RE: We are not even a speck!
Nope, not even a speck, because we really that unimportant, not that anything in the universe is anymore important than anything else. We live pointless lives with the only real chance of immortality is by passing your genes on. And we sit on the outer reaches of a shit solar system.

But I love it.
If we were a actually a speck, then we wouln't need to invent and sustain a judeo christian god to improve our self esteem.

The catch is sustaining the said Judeo christain god goes a long way towards keeping us from ever amounting to speck in the universe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86BPM1GV...re=related I always watch this to really understand our position.

On the other hand, we are "a way for the universe to know itself", and that can't be half bad, can it?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 2, 2011 at 5:41 am)Rhythm Wrote: On the other hand, we are "a way for the universe to know itself", and that can't be half bad, can it?

I'll have to get back to you on that.

There's the mindlessness of a mouse plague that ends in collapse.

I'm not sure what half bad means, but our inability to sort things feels bad to me.

Maybe we'll find a place in alien verse,

Sing, O goddess, the hunger of the so many sons of Adam, that brought countless ills upon the Earth. Many a unique species did it send hurrying down to extinction.

[Image: YgZ8E.png]
We ARE one of the ills of the earth. Not apart or separate or above it but a direct product of it's processes. We have been involved in some extinction events but nothing even approaching this rocks finest hour in the area.

We do get it right sometimes though. I hold out for those moments (and I'm secretly just a little proud of our less than palatable achievements on the grounds of sheer difficulty and improbability of intended outcome alone.)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 2, 2011 at 9:33 am)Rhythm Wrote: We ARE one of the ills of the earth. Not apart or separate or above it but a direct product of it's processes.

Ye but the "we didn't know" excuse is wearing a bit thin.
We know things now, we aren't separate but aware.
Rodents don't need an excuse, they're rodents.
The excuse of rodents shouldn't be open to us.

[Image: YgZ8E.png]
Ideally it shouldn't. It's hard to argue against the many comparisons. Still, I think we're doing a better job on the "ideals" front than anything else here. +1 us for even considering the notion.
Great vid, gone straight in my favourites.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  They Won't Even Know Why Minimalist 6 1456 March 8, 2012 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Phil