Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
veterans day
veterans day
I have a moral conflict within myself. I keep on hearing this thank a vetern today and I have a problem. With doing that since I don't condone or agree with the reasons why we go to war the powers thay be try to justify it and
Get the nation behind it by lying to them and we just let it happen. They use the slogan these. Like these soilders fight for our freedom. Honestly how many wars have been in that has been to protect the ameeican nation. We had two wars that actually for our "Freedom " and I use that word loosely. The only other war that was justified was. afganistan. Every other war was us sticking our nose where it don't belong.
Bill Maher: If you believe that the world is going to come to an end - and perhaps any day now - does it not drain one's motivation to improve life on earth while we're here?
RE: veterans day
I know what you mean, man. I respect that they put themselves in danger, but that is their choice... Ain't nothing to do with me.
Cunt
I had the same conflict in the lead up to today. I resolved it by noting that we are told to remember the people who fought and died in wars; these people didn't start the wars, and most of them certainly did not want to go fight in them, but they did so because they believed they were protecting their fellow countrymen. It doesn't matter if the wars they fought and died in were based on lies, the fact that these people would sacrifice their lives to protect others is worth remembering.
But, I don't feel like I have a personal stake in this country, so should I just remember and respect any and all people who fight in wars no matter the cause? I don't feel comfortable doing that.
Cunt
So bin laden and his followers are excused as well so its ok for them to blow up the world trade center since they believe that its ok. Cause they have a countries or religious support since over there its one in the same. So if we condone unjustified reasons to take over a land Where is the difference. If we go by that logic we cant get mad at the mualims cause they stuck their nose in where it don't belong just as we do. so how do we say they are evil? They are just as patriotic as we are. All. This is becoming is a revolving door syndrome
Bill Maher: If you believe that the world is going to come to an end - and perhaps any day now - does it not drain one's motivation to improve life on earth while we're here?
This is a conflict I have to face myself. Next year I will be 17, the minimum age requirement for joining the army. I plan on joining because the army will help pay my school expenses as well as set me up with a lifetime of benefits. I want to enjoy the benefits but at the same time I would be supporting a corrupt system.

Sometimes needs are not at base with morality.
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
(November 11, 2011 at 9:18 pm)HeyItsZeus Wrote: This is a conflict I have to face myself. Next year I will be 17, the minimum age requirement for joining the army. I plan on joining because the army will help pay my school expenses as well as set me up with a lifetime of benefits. I want to enjoy the benefits but at the same time I would be supporting a corrupt system.

Not to be a downer but what good are those benefits if the odds you come back are against u?

(November 11, 2011 at 9:27 pm)xxxtobymac Wrote:
(November 11, 2011 at 9:18 pm)HeyItsZeus Wrote: This is a conflict I have to face myself. Next year I will be 17, the minimum age requirement for joining the army. I plan on joining because the army will help pay my school expenses as well as set me up with a lifetime of benefits. I want to enjoy the benefits but at the same time I would be supporting a corrupt system.

Not to be a downer but what good are those benefits if the odds you come back are against u?

What are you talking about? Oh, I should have specified I'm joining the reserve forces. Then from there I'll see where I want to take it.
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Speaking only for myself as a veteran - do whatever your heart, mind and conscience tell you to do. I didn't serve for the gratitude of my fellow countrymen. My son thanks me for my service, and that's more than enough gratitude for me.

I swore an oath to defend our Constitution and the rights it protects - and those rights, in particular the right to hold your own opinions and speak your mind, aren't contingent on you or anyone else agreeing with me.

All I would ask of anyone is please don't go out of your way to insult me regarding my service today.
Not at all I_Blas. Go for it! I know that ex-service men and women have a hard enough time as it is without anyone "raining on their day".

What I remember most is the stupidity of wars and how, in the face of it all our service men and women went anyway. Heart

Adrian Wrote:It doesn't matter if the wars they fought and died in were based on lies, the fact that these people would sacrifice their lives to protect others is worth remembering.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5