Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 11:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am an ex-mormon
I am an ex-mormon
Glad to be here among like-minded individuals. I was born into the mormon church, went on a 2 year mission, and all of that silliness.

I'm glad to say that after truly studying the history and doctrines of the church (instead of that bile they teach us on sunday) I am done with mormonism forever.

I haven't been able to break the news to my wife yet, but I hope that one day we can have a nice talk and be done with this religion forever.

Meanwhile, I am still attending, and pretending to believe, which is pretty rough once you peek behind the curtain...anyhow, glad to be here.
RE: I am an ex-mormon
(November 24, 2011 at 7:16 pm)scatterman Wrote:

Be thou welcome. I used to live next door to the Mormon Tabernacle/Old City Jail in Liberty, Mo (before a tornado wiped my home out - retribution of God against a heathen Wiccan living next to the church)?

I don't know much about the Mormon Church other than because of the importance of the Liberty church, they had weekly missionary trips into our neighbourhood, and I think I had a Mormon gypsy sign on my fence that said "Here there be a Wiccan" or something.

I hold myself to be the official unofficial Welcome Wagon around here, so there you go.

Most of the people here are pretty good about what they say, the rest you'll figure out in short order . . . James.

"Be ye not lost amongst Precept of Order." - Book of Uterus, 1:5, "Principia Discordia, or How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her."
(November 24, 2011 at 7:16 pm)scatterman Wrote: I'm glad to say that after truly studying the history and doctrines of the church (instead of that bile they teach us on sunday) I am done with mormonism forever.

I love that educating ourselves leads to de-conversion. Big Grin

Welcome to AF.
That will never hold up in court...
(November 24, 2011 at 7:16 pm)scatterman Wrote: I'm glad to say that after truly studying the history and doctrines of the church (instead of that bile they teach us on sunday) I am done with mormonism forever.

I still think knowledge is religion's greatest threat. Most theist arguments that I've seen have been based on ignorance. They don't know any better.
Religion is all they think of, never anything else that could or does contradict religion.

Anyway, welcome to the forums old chap.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
Welcome to Atheist Forums
undefined
Welcome scatterman.

Hi from Oz
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Welcome!

I went to Kirtland junior high.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
Hello.

So you decided you didn't want your own planet?

Big Grin
Yayy! Congratulations!

The best gifts in the world are the gifts we give ourselves! Didn't someone famous already say that? I know it wasn't Jesus, or Joseph Smith.

Hehe

Anyway, welcome aboard!

Welcome aboard, sailor.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The only reason I became Mormon was because I snuck a taste of "Funeral Potatoes!" 😁 HankMoody316 10 1751 November 8, 2022 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Hi, I'm an Ex-Mormon Atheist InquiringMind 16 1555 September 20, 2016 at 10:21 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  mormon ==> atheist azheathen 22 3838 January 10, 2014 at 10:20 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Used to be a Mormon Awsamb 15 2727 April 29, 2013 at 7:06 am
Last Post: Awsamb
  Former Mormon missionary Korihor80 10 3072 May 29, 2011 at 12:16 am
Last Post: tackattack
  I'm a Foreman (Former Mormon) Nathan6329 11 3955 May 25, 2011 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: Nathan6329