Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dilbert with a message for theists
Dilbert with a message for theists
[Image: 144270.strip.gif]
RE: Dilbert with a message for theists
If they can read messages, they wouldn't be theists.
Quote:Correlation does not imply causation.

I knew that already. Tongue

However, I think that repeated (or many) correlations about the same thing would indicate that there is a higher probability of a causation, at least. Also, the strength of a set of correlations in determining the probability of a causation is dependent on the number of times in which there are no correlations (which occur under the same conditions).

(November 28, 2011 at 2:16 pm)Rayaan Wrote: However, I think that repeated (or many) correlations about the same thing would indicate that there is a higher probability of a causation, at least. Also, the strength of a set of correlations in determining the probability of a causation is dependent on the number of times in which there are no correlations (which occur under the same conditions).

I raise you this:

[Image: salad_1641913c.jpg]
Unfortunately the guy behind Dilbert is an anti-evolutionist. He claims not to be a creationist, but apparently doesn't accept evolution either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmiqXClTpao

http://dilbertblog.typepad.com/the_dilbe...e_bul.html
Quote:However, I think that repeated (or many) correlations about the same thing would indicate that there is a higher probability of a causation, at least.

Hmm....so if every time you bend over to pick up a $10 bill I kick you in the nuts you think it would show that $10 bills make your nuts ache?
(November 28, 2011 at 6:30 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: I raise you this:

[Image: salad_1641913c.jpg]

That one looks clean and fresh. Big Grin

But, still, I am quite wary that maybe you're not telling me about something that is wiggling under there. Hmm.

(November 28, 2011 at 7:03 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Hmm....so if every time you bend over to pick up a $10 bill I kick you in the nuts you think it would show that $10 bills make your nuts ache?

If you kicked me in the nuts, then I would obviously know that you were doing it and not that the $10 bill was making me ache.

But, if I felt my nuts aching every single time I bend over to pick up a $10 bill, say, at least 20 times, without anyone kicking me in that spot, then I would think that it is very likely that there is indeed a causation behind the correlation even though I'm not sure what is the exact mechanism for such a thing to happen.
I'm a stealth nut kicker.

Umm, I think correlation does in fact IMPLY (suggest) causation,but does not INFER it. (allow a conclusion/prove)

Ah shit, where's Void when I need him?
The most accurate statement is probably "Correlation does not NECESSARILY imply causation."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An Important Easter Message The Valkyrie 23 960 April 1, 2024 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Serious comedy with a real serious message. Brian37 2 344 June 7, 2018 at 5:06 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Dilbert On Free Will Edwardo Piet 0 274 May 9, 2017 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  A message from America's "Best Christian"....... Brian37 3 940 March 28, 2016 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  PRIVATE MESSAGE: Super Secret Atheist Newsletter #354 Tea Earl Grey Hot 1 944 January 17, 2014 at 1:02 am
Last Post: Darkstar
  404 error message Zen Badger 7 1700 April 26, 2011 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla
  Dilbert Discovers Us Minimalist 6 1858 December 15, 2010 at 5:19 am
Last Post: Zen Badger