Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Will vs. Determinism?
Free Will vs. Determinism?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCyKNtocdZE

In the above linked video, the author John Searle discusses new developments in neurobiology and their effects on the philosophy of free will. He presents two primary hypotheses providing support for each and concludes his discussion with a question and answer period.

I found it to be a good use of an hour, but for others I could understand it being lengthy and time consuming. Regardless, it's something to think about.

The part of the video which most interested me was his analysis of physicality being determined and our perception of randomness being a simple lack of knowledge. He then goes on to state that quantum mechanics has offered an explanation for the first time in history as to events occurring completely at random - for example, the universe.

I hope some of you can enjoy his lecture as much as I did.
Brevity is the soul of wit.
RE: Free Will vs. Determinism?
Excellent, I'm about to run it. Thanks for posting. I just heard him speak in San Francisco about a month ago as a guest of a consciousness group. Very interesting.

I remember liking his take on perception as being the way the objective world perturbs our fields of consciousness. It seemed like most of the others in the group wanted to talk about the consciousness of bees or flowers or the planet, but he kept bringing it back by saying how little is even known about how organisms with neurons experience consciousness. I took one seminar from him when I was Cal eons ago. He is so lucid even at around 80.
RE: Free Will vs. Determinism?
Thanks for that, nice one.
I have come across quantum indeterminately as an explanation of free will before. But, his point that rationality added via the interface of the brain/consciousness. Is a new one and a good one. Explaining how choices are rational, within limits, and how the random element (which must be present in a causal universe to explain free will) is rationalised and so a useful tool, rather than a hindrance.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Determinism vs Education Foxaèr 17 1091 October 14, 2021 at 8:10 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Is Moral Responsibility Compatible With Determinism? mcc1789 44 5395 June 11, 2019 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: SenseMaker007
  Hybrid theory between freewill and determinism Won2blv 18 4240 July 26, 2017 at 10:57 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  The Definitive Post On The Free Will v. Determinism Debate BrianSoddingBoru4 17 3225 September 3, 2016 at 11:20 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Photons and determinism, part 2 bennyboy 87 16754 March 3, 2015 at 12:34 am
Last Post: Surgenator
  Determinism, Free Will and Paradox bennyboy 98 20521 January 20, 2015 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Soft Determinism, Hard Determinism, Necessitarianism, Fatalism...Huh? Mudhammam 14 6389 January 11, 2014 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Determinism, Free Will, and A Thought Experiment Mudhammam 14 5661 January 10, 2014 at 4:27 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Not Convinced Determinism Makes Sense of Moral Responsibility. Convince Me It Does Mudhammam 44 11353 December 17, 2013 at 12:47 am
Last Post: MindForgedManacle
  Determinism Is Self Defeating Koolay 220 57465 July 25, 2013 at 4:23 pm
Last Post: bennyboy