Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 6, 2024, 9:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When Atheists Can't Think Episode 1: No Evidence for God?
RE: When Atheists Can't Think Episode 1: No Evidence for God?
(December 15, 2015 at 5:55 pm)Delicate Wrote: You get your head checked.

On a more serious note, I don't expect any self-proclaimed atheists to find it compelling. Atheism is fundamentally an emotional position, not a rational position. You might have no rational criticism of any of the arguments, or even understand them.

But you just don't FEEL good about believing in the existence of God. 

So I'm not surprised. If you really want to figure out what's next, it would be to lay your feelings aside, think like a rational person, and figure out if there are problems with the argument.

And it would also help to get over your irrational feelings. But that's a long shot.

That wasn't any more compelling than the link...I still don't believe.   Next?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(December 15, 2015 at 11:09 pm)Delicate Wrote: I like intelligent, stimulating discussion. Hence I'm hardly ever here.

Could you lay out more clearly how you conclude the 1:99 ratio?

I thought you were one of those mensa types, if I have to explain stuff already we're never going to rise up to your expectations.  You know, where God promises no barren wombs or sickness to show his love or his love for us so he won't capriciously kill us at this moment verses down right anger, damnation, fire from the sky, and death kind of thing...  Surely you know more than I, as you have stated.  I suppose I have to tell you where the flood parts are...  I just happen to notice in my research that the love part that everyone thinks is in the texts isn't there and mostly death and destruction.  So, that was the question just in case you got lost.  Tell me where all the love parts are, don't worry there isn't much.  The 99% part is easy and don't forget no blanket existence and making the universe just for us stuff as a consideration of his love.  I want to hear the real stuff like what most humans understand as acts of love.
[Image: userfield_edit.gif] https://sites.google.com/site/fromthedeepoceanabove/  ..."when you look up in the sky you can see the stars and still not see the light"... 
(December 16, 2015 at 1:39 am)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote:

And you have the audacity to insult us over our intelligence? That drivel wouldn't pass a freshman philosophy course. Even I can see ways to clean up some of those arguments, and they still would fail the "provides actual evidence of God" test.

Go home, Christian Apologetics, you're drunk.

Yep.  That TWO DOZEN (OR SO) THEISTIC ARGUMENTS article should really be used to teach basic logic fallacies 101.  In fact, I think I'll show it to a Philosophy Professor friend - he might have fun using it for an assignment.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
(December 15, 2015 at 4:27 pm)Delicate Wrote:
(December 15, 2015 at 4:18 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Sorry if you have talked about this before, but may I ask what is the evidence you are speaking of? Just curious. Smile

There's a lot to say about the evidence, and how it's supposed to sit with Christian theism.

But here's a taste: https://www.calvin.edu/academic/philosop...uments.pdf

Those are arguments. I can make arguments for the existence of Bigfoot, or the tooth fairy. It doesn't make them exist. You can't reason something into existence.
(December 16, 2015 at 11:55 am)Vic Wrote:
(December 15, 2015 at 4:27 pm)Delicate Wrote: There's a lot to say about the evidence, and how it's supposed to sit with Christian theism.

Those are arguments. I can make arguments for the existence of Bigfoot, or the tooth fairy. It doesn't make them exist. You can't reason something into existence.

Especially when several/many of the arguments start out with "With what we know about what I'm trying to prove...."
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
(December 15, 2015 at 5:55 pm)Delicate Wrote:
(December 15, 2015 at 5:41 pm)Rhythm Wrote: I didn't find the link you gave compelling, I still don't believe.  What's next?

You get your head checked.

On a more serious note, I don't expect any self-proclaimed atheists to find it compelling. Atheism is fundamentally an emotional position, not a rational position. You might have no rational criticism of any of the arguments, or even understand them.

But you just don't FEEL good about believing in the existence of God. 

So I'm not surprised. If you really want to figure out what's next, it would be to lay your feelings aside, think like a rational person, and figure out if there are problems with the argument.

And it would also help to get over your irrational feelings. But that's a long shot.

I wonder, are you trying to make a point about how some atheists behave towards religious people? I have to say it looks so
What's a "god"? What is it made from and how do I test for its existence?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I bet Episode 2 is the same thing with a different title.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
(December 15, 2015 at 4:27 pm)Delicate Wrote: There's a lot to say about the evidence, and how it's supposed to sit with Christian theism.

Okay, I'll bite, but I'll do it in installments, since I don't like the idea of being chained to a text window for twelve consecutive points at a time. It'll also allow me to go into better detail.

But before I do, I do need to point out that "I've seen no evidence for god," is not supposed to be, in itself, a thorough refutation of every theistic argument. You do know that, right? It's just a statement of fact: if you were to ask, I think you'd find we have actual explanations for why each and every piece of evidence you'd bring to bear fails, it's just that we don't see fit to repeat them all every time we're called upon to state our reason for not believing. Would you post a lengthy, tangentially related series of arguments to a simple question every time it's asked?

Also, if all you're going to do is insinuate incompetence rather than allowing us to speak our piece, that's really no different from "you're only an atheist because you're dumb!" It's childish, and frankly, it says a lot about your character that it and thoughts like it are essentially all you post here. The fact that you then berate us for not giving you intellectual content back is just the icing on the hypocritical cake.

Now then, on to the argument from intentionality... and really, do you seriously think this is any form of evidence for god? I mean, is that actually a thing you buy, or do you just say so because it aligns with what you already believe? Because there is not a shred of evidence anywhere to be seen in it, just a series of fiat assertions made without any justification, looping around to a conclusion that simply does not follow, even if we were to take the assertions as true for the sake of argument. Not a single shred of thought is given to why the author thinks that objects are dependent on minds thinking about them to exist, just that he finds the idea "tempting," but this means little to me. Why should I care that he just likes this fundamentally solipsistic concept?

I really don't even know how to respond to this in any further depth, because the concept itself is so nonsensical and poorly written- and doesn't seem to match up with other forms of the argument from intentionality I find online- that it's essentially akin to trying to refute the insane ramblings of a homeless man on a street corner. And this is what you link to to show that atheist rejection of your beliefs is based in incompetence?

Oh, and before you simply dismiss me out of hand, if you think I've misunderstood something, how about you actually explain it in your own words, rather than just braying about how dumb I am before fleeing? For someone so all about intellectual rigor and discussion, all you seem to do is lean on the words of others to do your arguing for you, and then prematurely claim victory.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
And incidentally, Delicate? If you're going to go off on a tear about evidence for god, perhaps linking to a source that begins its first sentence asserting that you don't need evidence for god because everybody knows god exists isn't the most consistent thing to do? Doesn't that completely go against your assertion that atheists only don't know god exists because they're stupid meanie-pants? Dodgy
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you think Atheists are stupid? Authari 121 6254 January 4, 2024 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Do you think God is authoritarian? ShinyCrystals 65 3529 December 9, 2023 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The Historical Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Nishant Xavier 38 2670 August 7, 2023 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3560 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 32 1810 August 6, 2023 at 5:36 pm
  Isaiah 53, 700 B.C: Historical Evidence of the Divine Omniscience. Nishant Xavier 91 5100 August 6, 2023 at 2:19 pm
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 8946 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 3055 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  How much pain can atheists withstand ? The End of Atheism 290 19343 May 13, 2023 at 4:22 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Europeans already think about Harry Potter, not about god Interaktive 11 1143 January 1, 2023 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4