Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 3:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Episode VII (spoilers)
RE: Episode VII (spoilers)
People who complain that there are plot holes in Star Wars movies are like people who can't get into professional wrestling because it's "not real." They complain that strawberry candy doesn't taste of the strawberries they enjoyed when they were kids 100 years ago, or that nobody appreciates real licorice any more, or that Christmas sucks and isn't Jesus' birthday anyway. In short, ya'll motherfuckers are just old and sad, and you want to think that only the things you enjoyed when you still had a pulse were worth experiencing. Tongue

If you want to know if Star Wars is a great movie, ask my son. He's 5 years old and he spends about 8 hours a day practicing his lightsaber skills on his selectable red-or-blue lightsaber he got for Christmas, because lightsabers are fucking cool. When his mom takes his lightsaber away, he terrorizes the dogs with his Stormtrooper doll, because Stormtroopers are cool. When he rides his bike, he makes "pew pew" shooting noises as he defends the universe, because space fighters are cool. He gets it.

And you guys do, too, because here we are 12 pages in, and you sooooo want to talk about it. . . doncha? Tongue
I never care about plot holes. I just think the original trilogy is by far the best. I haven't seen episode 7 but I'm unexcited to because I was unimpressed by the last 3 movies.

Also I always thought that there was planned to be 6 episodes from the beginning, not 7.
(December 27, 2015 at 5:47 pm)Evie Wrote: I never care about plot holes. I just think the original trilogy is by far the best. I haven't seen episode 7 but I'm unexcited to because I was unimpressed by the last 3 movies.

Also I always thought that there was planned to be 6 episodes from the beginning, not 7.

VII is WAY less CG feeling and almost completely lacking in cutesy-pie stuff.  It's a little darker, and in my opinion better.  Personally, I'd place it as second best after Empire Strikes Back.
Wow. So it's not like the last 3 then. Hm.
I can't compare between episodes since they come so far apart and memory doesn't serve. But I finally saw it and loved it. Seemingly as much as any of them. Given how much it had to stitch together and prepare for in future episodes it does exceedingly well at "being the story" rather than just "telling it". More later.
Episode VII was a return to what made the original trilogy great - the themes, the "feel" of the universe, with a fresh update. You actually feel like you're in the same galaxy far, far away, but time HAS gone by.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
I am watching episold 4 with my wife right now.   It's pretty impressive how comparatively spare and tightly constructed the 1977 movie still seems compare to the overwrought feel of the storyline of episold 1-3 and the slapdash feel of episold 7.  Episold 4 managed to create the immersive universe without committing the sin of trying too hard.
I saw the film again, and really liked it again. It felt shorter the second time, and that's probably because the plot's pretty lean. But we already knew that.

The more I think about this movie, though - and, apparently, the more I see it - the more I think Kylo Ren is an awesome, awesome character. Like, he's now my favorite. I thought he was brilliantly done.
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
I saw it again yesterday and enjoyed it as much as I did the first time, even tho my friend and I were chit chatting about questions we had. I love love loved the opening scene of the cruiser silhouetting the planet. That was fucking awesome!! Super chills when I saw that again.

I also picked up on Daniel Craig's accent this time. Big Grin

I still maintain the the CGI was well done and not overdone, the comedy is pretty much spot on, and BB8 is still really cute. I still thought Rey was hard to relate to, but I think that's just part of her character. We'll have to see if that improves in the next movies.

I maintain my previous ratings.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
(December 28, 2015 at 1:17 pm)Clueless Morgan Wrote: I also picked up on Daniel Craig's accent this time. Big Grin

Easily influenced weak minds.  No wonder MI-6 has fallen on hard times. Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not sure where to post this old episode of "Alice" Brian37 14 805 June 5, 2021 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Captain Marvel movie w/ spoilers Rahn127 0 363 March 9, 2019 at 2:04 am
Last Post: Rahn127
Video Game of Thrones Season 7 Discussion [SPOILERS WITHIN] SteelCurtain 357 68277 January 28, 2018 at 9:37 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Do not watch the movie, "The Arrival" because it is pro-life propaganda. {Spoilers} Foxaèr 21 5091 February 6, 2017 at 11:01 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Game of Thrones Season 6 Discussion [SPOILERS WITHIN] SteelCurtain 765 61483 August 15, 2016 at 4:45 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Game of Thrones Season 5 Discussion [SPOILERS WITHIN] SteelCurtain 588 94431 May 13, 2016 at 1:48 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Superman versus Batman -- SPOILERS! Jehanne 3 918 April 16, 2016 at 4:21 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Vikings Discussion (Possible Spoilers) Jericho 10 2257 May 29, 2015 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Epsoide vii and Kevin smith Drich 8 1788 November 16, 2014 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: Alex K
Tongue THIS is a "manic episode" My imaginary friend is GOD 2 951 April 15, 2014 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: max-greece