Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 4, 2024, 4:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Show us your roots!
RE: Show us your roots!
(February 14, 2016 at 8:20 pm)ignoramus Wrote: I won't risk trying those DNA kits.
Judging from my hairy chest, my biggest fear is that I'll discover that I'm a missing link!
Or at best a third generation of standing up straight!   Hehe

Italian, you mean?

Angel
Dying to live, living to die.
(February 14, 2016 at 8:20 pm)ignoramus Wrote: I won't risk trying those DNA kits.
Judging from my hairy chest, my biggest fear is that I'll discover that I'm a missing link!

Supposedly,  5% of the global population has Neanderthal DNA...so ...there you go.  Angel
I'm extra hairy, so I'd say I got it off my neanderthal mother's side! Hehe
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(February 14, 2016 at 9:56 pm)ignoramus Wrote: I'm extra hairy, so I'd say I got it off my neanderthal mother's side!   Hehe

All over or just your palms?

Angel
(February 14, 2016 at 9:09 pm)*Deidre* Wrote:

Supposedly,  5% of the global population has Neanderthal DNA...so ...there you go.  Angel

It's basically Europeans, Middle Easterners and some groups of Asians, averaging 1-3% Neanderthal DNA. It's very trace even in Europe where it's "highest".
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

(February 14, 2016 at 10:18 pm)Yeauxleaux Wrote:
(February 14, 2016 at 9:09 pm)*Deidre* Wrote: Supposedly,  5% of the global population has Neanderthal DNA...so ...there you go.  Angel

It's basically Europeans, Middle Easterners and some groups of Asians, averaging 1-3% Neanderthal DNA. It's very trace even in Europe where it's "highest".

In Aussie men it's as high as 98%.

Angel
(February 14, 2016 at 10:22 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote:
(February 14, 2016 at 10:18 pm)Yeauxleaux Wrote: It's basically Europeans, Middle Easterners and some groups of Asians, averaging 1-3% Neanderthal DNA. It's very trace even in Europe where it's "highest".

Angel

I think it's considerably higher among some British men too. But then Aussies and Brits are cousins so it's not surprising...
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

(February 14, 2016 at 10:22 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote:
(February 14, 2016 at 10:18 pm)Yeauxleaux Wrote: It's basically Europeans, Middle Easterners and some groups of Asians, averaging 1-3% Neanderthal DNA. It's very trace even in Europe where it's "highest".

Angel

Pretty sure in NZ men, the other 2% is sheep dna? Tongue
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I'd find a DNA test kinda fun. I don't know much about my ancestors. Two of my grandparents were born in Denmark and one in Sweden. The fourth was born in the U.S. to Swedish parents and returned to Sweden before her first birthday. I haven't done any genealogical research, though our family has kept in contact with the distant (geographically and genetically) cousins at least a little and there has been some visiting back and forth. But the Scandinavians mixed it up with the Slavs, French, Brits, Germans, and all sorts of other folks during the viking period. Who knows what's in the genes.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
My bio father was mestizo and Afro-Cuban, his family did rum running during Prohibition. My mother's family has roots in Louisiana and Mississippi, her side is made up of medium and lighter skinned Creoles.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just watching a PBS show on Middle ages Brian37 9 1175 April 26, 2018 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Sundance Channel reran Roots miniseries vorlon13 3 245 February 13, 2018 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: brewer