Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 1:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who are your favorite current Atheists?
RE: Who are your favorite current Atheists?
(February 16, 2016 at 5:53 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Atheism has a Pope?

Of course, same as yours. But Ratzinger was a much better pope for atheism than Francis Tongue
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(March 16, 2015 at 5:09 pm)abentwookie Wrote: Who do you follow in the Atheist community?  

None. I might sneak a peek if some topic seems interesting to me, but in general, atheism doesn't interest me at all. It's just my absence of belief and not one of my interests.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Same here.
Anything that lives outside of space and time and lives in our hearts at the same time is a conundrum.

I'm just not smart enough to make such complex hypotheticals gel in my head! Sorry Mr god man.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(March 16, 2015 at 5:50 pm)abentwookie Wrote:
(March 16, 2015 at 5:33 pm)Faith No More Wrote: I'm sorry, but I can't hold this in. PZ Meyers is a total twat.

I like a lot of different atheists, but most of those are for reasons that have nothing to do with their atheism. The only one I can think of off the top of my head that has anything to do with atheism is Ricky Gervais.

Why is that? I personally enjoy his work. I became a fan when he exposed a certain horrible person in the atheist community who shall remain nameless. Big Grin After I spent some time reading through his work, I really gained a lot of respect for him.

I wasn't really thinking of comedians when I made my OP but now that I think about it, I would also add Patton Oswalt to the list.

(March 16, 2015 at 5:33 pm)Alex K Wrote: Dan Dennett

I have heard Matt Dillhunty and several others mention him but I haven't had a chance to check out any of this work yet.

You mean how falsely accused Michael shermer of being a rapist?
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
I'm probably going to get flack for this, but I'm big fan of thunderfoot and the amazing atheist. I also like Ricky gervais and Dawkins of course. Oh and geddy Lee and Neil Peart. Lately thought I have following other people though dealing with gamergate and the sjw censorship that seems to be spreading everywhere. Honestly though I don't really care for people where atheism is their claim to fame because even for myself its not that big of part of who I am. So I tend to like atheists where it clearly influences them but they do other things like geddy Lee, billy Joel, Ricky gervais, brad Pitt and the like.
Signifying nothing.
You won't have flak (neither ack-ack nor Roberta) from me. I go along with pretty much all you just said.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(March 4, 2016 at 11:16 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: I'm probably going to get flack for this, but I'm big fan of thunderfoot and the amazing atheist. I also like Ricky gervais and Dawkins of course. Oh and geddy Lee and Neil Peart. Lately thought I have following other people though dealing with gamergate and the sjw censorship that seems to be spreading everywhere. Honestly though I don't really care for people where atheism is their claim to fame because even for myself its not that big of part of who I am. So I tend to like atheists where it clearly influences them but they do other things like geddy Lee, billy Joel, Ricky gervais, brad Pitt and the like.

Richard Dawkins' real claim to fame is The Selfish Gene and his other numerous popular science books on evolution. The God Delusion, a late work by comparison, may have made him way more famous and wealthy, but you can't really hold that against him. That would be like reducing Metallica and Zeppelin to their two uberfamous ballads
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

to the "is it a religion" list.

pope
priest, sage
meeting places
spirit wear
meeting with like minded people that think they share the real truth
meeting to discuss how their clarity logic and reason are better than other faith statements
If you are not with us you are against us attitudes.
base blind faith statements
Symbols to rally around
Ignore/deny any observations to the contrary of said statement of belief.

be that as it may.  

Neal degrasse, Carl sagon, Greene, and Susskind are mine.
anti-logical Fallacies of Ambiguity
(March 5, 2016 at 10:45 am)Alex K Wrote:
(March 4, 2016 at 11:16 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: I'm probably going to get flack for this, but I'm big fan of thunderfoot and the amazing atheist. I also like Ricky gervais and Dawkins of course. Oh and geddy Lee and Neil Peart. Lately thought I have following other people though dealing with gamergate and the sjw censorship that seems to be spreading everywhere. Honestly though I don't really care for people where atheism is their claim to fame because even for myself its not that big of part of who I am. So I tend to like atheists where it clearly influences them but they do other things like geddy Lee, billy Joel, Ricky gervais, brad Pitt and the like.

Richard Dawkins' real claim to Pjme is The Selfish Gene and his other numerous popular science books on evolution. The God Delusion, a late work by comparison, may have made him way more famous and wealthy, but you can't really hold that against him. That would be like reducing Metallica and Zeppelin to their two uberfamous ballads

Oh definitely true. Plus he is a very talented communicator, which is what I think is the underlying thing between all those accomplishments. Some people can understand things through and through and not be able to explain worth a shit.
Signifying nothing.
Yeah, being famous for being an atheist doesn't make a lot of sense. It's like being famous for not slapping yourself repeatedly on the forehead before making a decision.

I tend to find I like most of what most of the "prommers" (prominent atheists) have to say, but I also disagree with some parts. Each person is vulnerable to their own little bugbears which may make them go a bit off the rails at times. But it doesn't mean the rest of what they have to say isn't of value. Of course, I take all information on its own merit, and (as long as it's something I can understand) it doesn't matter who is saying it. If it's really advanced sciency stuff, then I defer to people who are qualified to be talking about that stuff. (Unlike religion, I don't base life decisions on whether a complicated scientific theory is actually true, so the consequences of misplaced confidence are minimal.)
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2891 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  Atheists, whats your view on "Stefan Molyneux" Aneiu1 1 583 November 13, 2021 at 7:36 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Atheists: Your facade cant disguise Renio92 19 2291 September 2, 2020 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Atheists: What if Trump addressed your issues in America. Would you vote for him? Sanau 38 4896 March 30, 2020 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  What is your stance on magic fellow atheists ? tahaadi 42 4865 October 13, 2018 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2236 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Your favorite atheists (Fictional or real) NuclearEnergy 48 9591 December 4, 2017 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Norfolk And Chance
  Atheists, what are your thoughts on us Agnostics? NuclearEnergy 116 27764 November 30, 2017 at 12:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Your favorite Atheist Theist Debate? Nuda900 11 4124 February 28, 2016 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Will you raise your children as Atheists? Kloud 54 10984 December 20, 2014 at 4:40 am
Last Post: robvalue