Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 13, 2024, 3:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You Can't Disprove a Miracle
RE: You Can't Disprove a Miracle
You have to demonstrate something is possible before it can be considered a probable explanation for anything.

It's not up to us to prove it impossible. We don't even need to say it is.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(March 15, 2016 at 12:19 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(March 15, 2016 at 12:01 pm)SteveII Wrote: Using the same example above, are eyewitness accounts of the event, timing, and context sufficient to increase the probability of an event having a supernatural cause versus a natural one?

You're still arguing that low probability events equal miracles.  No they don't.  Low probability events equal low probability events.  The probability cannot demonstrate that it has a supernatural cause, only evidence of an actual supernatural cause can do that.  Eyewitness accounts to unexplained events, even if held to be reliable, even given certain context, do not show the supernatural.

Precisely. Miracles are a oart of the equation we have no business even getting to yet. None of the groundwork has been done first. Steve (not yours truly) wants us to go from "Something weird just happened, which only I saw. What are the odds?" to "Yay miracles!" and just leave it at that.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(March 15, 2016 at 12:19 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(March 15, 2016 at 12:01 pm)SteveII Wrote: Using the same example above, are eyewitness accounts of the event, timing, and context sufficient to increase the probability of an event having a supernatural cause versus a natural one?

You're still arguing that low probability events equal miracles.  No they don't.  Low probability events equal low probability events.  The probability cannot demonstrate that it has a supernatural cause, only evidence of an actual supernatural cause can do that.  Eyewitness accounts to unexplained events, even if held to be reliable, even given certain context, do not show the supernatural.

Click here for a Wikipedia article on Bayesian inference and probability theory.  Probability theory says that you not just assess the probability of an event and make your conclusion, but you must update that probability given any new evidence, information or conditions (timing, context, etc.). 

"The posterior probability of a hypothesis is determined by a combination of the inherent likeliness of a hypothesis (the prior) and the compatibility of the observed evidence with the hypothesis (the likelihood)."

You can run the formula for each hypothesis (H) and compare.Let's do the crippled man:

P(E/H) x P(H)
P(H/E) = ------------------------------
                          P(E)

H = Hypothesis, man was healed by Jesus
E = man walks, including timing and context

P(E/H) - probability of E given the hypothesis that Jesus can heal = .90
P(H) - probability that Jesus can heal cripple before E was observed = .01
P(E) - likelihood that E happened without H (call it "natural causes") = .05

.9 x .01
18% = ----------------
I think we're justified in saying that you won't be able to make a compelling case for any of this, other than hypothetically, otherwise you'd have done it by now.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(March 15, 2016 at 12:04 pm)robvalue Wrote: Still waiting to hear when I asserted supernatural events cannot happen.

I take it you're retracting this then.

I know all about probability. Coming up with a low probability proves absolutely nothing. It doesn't prove the mere possibility of anything else. Improbable events happen all the time.

It's the argument from ignorance, again. (Current earnings £247,298)
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(March 15, 2016 at 1:56 pm)robvalue Wrote:
(March 15, 2016 at 12:04 pm)robvalue Wrote: Still waiting to hear when I asserted supernatural events cannot happen.

I take it you're retracting then.

I know all about probability. Coming up with a low probability proves absolutely nothing.

I'm sorry for saying you asserted that supernatural events cannot happen. I got confused with multiple posts. 

Probability theory certainly does not prove anything, but does illustrate that hypothesis can be weighed against each other and clearly illustrates that the more evidence and contextual support given to a possible miracle, the less quickly we should dismiss it.
No problem.

I am aware of hypothesis testing.

Your null hypothesis is that it happened "by nature"? You're assuming you are aware of everything nature is capable of. How do you know this?

You're just going by our understanding of nature so far, and assuming it's more or less complete.

Why are you assuming Jesus healing isn't natural?

And...

You're running it on a story out of a book. You can't be serious.

Index of my best videos
Did the equation magically become capable of determining the probability that a cause was supernatural since the last time you tried to foist it on us Steve...is -that- the miracle.....?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I can't believe what I'm reading. I can't continue this discussion, it's ridiculous.

Index of my best videos
(March 15, 2016 at 2:04 pm)robvalue Wrote: No problem.

I am aware of hypothesis testing.

Your null hypothesis is that it happened "by nature"? You're assuming you are aware of everything nature is capable of. How do you know this?

You're just going by our understanding of nature so far, and assuming it's more or less complete.

Why are you assuming Jesus healing isn't natural?

And...

You're running it on a story out of a book. You can't be serious.

Our understanding of nature is complete enough for this exercise. Go ahead and move P(E) around. I gave it a generous number because given the timing and context of the story, it should be way lower. 

I don't care if you like the story or not. It illustrates the point.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is the lamest "miracle"? Thor 32 6537 November 23, 2022 at 1:40 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The false miracle of Fatima now a movie Foxaèr 17 1785 September 6, 2020 at 2:03 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  The Miracle of the Sun. Jehanne 9 1461 August 20, 2018 at 8:38 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Miracle Spring water Joods 24 3848 June 27, 2018 at 11:04 pm
Last Post: Joods
Question Why do you people say there is no evidence,when you can't be bothered to look for it? Jaguar 74 20806 November 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  The undeniable miracle at Fatima pabsta 582 158248 August 19, 2017 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Another fake Catholic miracle. Jehanne 96 20279 August 11, 2017 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Proof of a Miracle? TrueChristian 13 4321 December 19, 2015 at 11:40 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Hi, I'm a Christian. Help Me Disprove My Religion! WishfulThinking 265 62138 October 11, 2015 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  With Science and Archaeology and Miracle's evidence for God TheThinkingCatholic 35 11409 September 20, 2015 at 11:32 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut