Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 27, 2024, 8:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Problem with Christians
RE: The Problem with Christians
Of course, you are right.

I presume what AJ Styles here means is that either it's God, or it's a completely natural, unexciting, scientific transition, as predicted by evil scientists. But abiogenesis is the whole subject of where life came from, so of course, it's redundant to have it as a "possibility".

I wonder if God counts as life?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
It wouldn't matter, their god is uncaused and uncreated, if you'll recall.  If god counts as life, life still came from non-life...as god comes from nothing.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(April 5, 2016 at 8:38 am)Rhythm Wrote:
(April 5, 2016 at 2:14 am)AJW333 Wrote: If there is no God then life must have begun via abiogenesis.

Life must have begun via abiogenesis -regardless-.  Once there was no life, from this came life.  That's what abiogenesis means........

Quote:It is used as an example of faith. No one ever saw it happen, it can't be reproduced naturally and it cannot be said to be a scientific fact because it fails to meet the necessary criteria. On the other hand, we have independent eyewitnesses to the life of Jesus and his miracles who wrote down their observations and were prepared to die for the truth of what they wrote. Therefore, I would contend that there is more factual evidence for Christ than there is for abiogenesis. As such, I would consider atheists who believe in abiogenesis to be a people of faith.
We don't -actually- have independent eyewitnesses to the life of jesus, but why would it matter if we did? What does that have to do with the origins of life? There's hardly a need to believe in abiogenesis - but who cares? Still the laziest TQ I've ever seen. What's all the waffling about faith supposed to be about, do you think that faith is a bad thing?

We know nothing about the origins of life, the science is wrong from the bottom up. Now that we have that handled and it's pointless to further discuss science, tell us what -you- know about the origins of life and how you came to that knowledge, whatever it is?

Right. Christians accept abiogenesis as well. They just don't realize it. Man from dust. Life from non-life. The difference is, scientists posit hypotheses that comport with reality as we reliably understand it. Christians just say "magic did it!"
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
I'm still waiting for him to even say what he thinks happened. I gave him three sensible versions and apparently none of them were good enough.

I am left to assume that he has no idea what he believes, just that it is true.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
This thread is a fine example of why mythology should be banned from from mainstream education. It inflicts severe brainfuckery.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
(April 4, 2016 at 9:13 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: Faith is believing in something without good reasons to do so.

Where did you get that from?
(April 5, 2016 at 11:37 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(April 4, 2016 at 9:13 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: Faith is believing in something without good reasons to do so.

My brain.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

(April 5, 2016 at 11:38 am)LadyForCamus Wrote:
(April 5, 2016 at 11:37 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: Where did you get that from?

My brain.

OK... my mind disagrees
(April 5, 2016 at 11:37 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote:

Hebrews 11.1

Quote:Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

Hoist by your own petard, lad!
(April 5, 2016 at 11:42 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(April 5, 2016 at 11:38 am)LadyForCamus Wrote: My brain.

OK... my mind disagrees

If I told you I had a pet two-headed dinosaur that lives in my basement, would you just believe me on faith? Or would you require I provide you with evidence before accepting that what I just told you is true? Faith is not a virtue.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 8113 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 31689 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Christians. Prove That You Are Real/True Christians Nope 155 52273 September 1, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Christians : my problem with Christianity, some questions. WinterHold 115 20003 March 28, 2015 at 7:43 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  The Problem of Evil, Christians, and Inconsistency Mudhammam 46 10541 September 24, 2014 at 5:22 am
Last Post: genkaus
  The first Christians weren't Bible Christians Phatt Matt s 60 16123 March 26, 2014 at 10:26 am
Last Post: rightcoaster
  Now Christians piss of Christians. leo-rcc 10 10002 December 11, 2010 at 4:02 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris