Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 7:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transexuals
RE: Transexuals
(April 12, 2016 at 8:43 am)Mathilda Wrote:
(April 12, 2016 at 5:01 am)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: Maybe I have some residual issues I need to work through but I simply don't like the idea of using same restroom a someone who is physically male. Intellectually, I fully know, quite well  no one  is likely to do anything to me, and we all just need to go potty but I still don't like any of this. Forget giving trans people their own restroom, I want an Alaina room at all the public places I frequent.

Yeah but in all probability you have been to the same toilets as a transsexual and not even known it.

Does that now creep you out? Why?

Like I said, I know full well everyone is just gonna go pee. And yeah it creeps me out. I should probably have a good long think as to why. After all it's not my body or my business. Like I said I've obviously got some issues to work through.
(April 12, 2016 at 1:29 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote:
(April 12, 2016 at 1:22 pm)TheRealJoeFish Wrote: ^ lol k.

Sorry, I meant Drich, not you JoeFish!

Mine was actually at Drich's post but you ninja'd me!
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
Transexuals
(April 12, 2016 at 1:36 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:
(April 12, 2016 at 8:43 am)Mathilda Wrote: Yeah but in all probability you have been to the same toilets as a transsexual and not even known it.

Does that now creep you out? Why?

Like I said, I know full well everyone is just gonna go pee. And yeah it creeps me out. I should probably have a good long think as to why. After all it's not my body or my business. Like I said I've obviously got some issues to work through.

I applaud your honesty. [emoji106]
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
Transexuals
(April 12, 2016 at 1:36 pm)TheRealJoeFish Wrote:
(April 12, 2016 at 1:29 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: Sorry, I meant Drich, not you JoeFish!

Mine was actually at Drich's post but you ninja'd me!

LOL, I suck at this!
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

(April 12, 2016 at 11:39 am)LadyForCamus Wrote: Man, Drich!  You are an expert in everything!!!  Is any topic you DON'T know more about than everyone else?

[Image: 663725757a6e5fb209210f588f0e9974.jpg]

The narcissism is strong in this one...

As I've said many many times. I don't 'know' anything. But I research EVERYTHING. Some of it sticks.

I seek and search for primary source material and if it interests me I will study it. Then I question what I know and what is popularly believed. Then some of the more hypocritical topics I like to discuss.

See, that the problem with most of you. You think your smart because you think you 'know stuff' when in truth you are only comfortable with what you think you know. which 99 times out of 10 is wrong.

I on the other hand make no qualms that I am an idiot. which pushes me to look everything up even words people like you take for granted (like mental illness) then I cross reference it at least 2 other times, and even sometimes I will seek an opposing view and refute it before I go with something.

Which makes me right, (most of the time) not smart.
(April 12, 2016 at 10:26 am)Drich Wrote:
(April 11, 2016 at 1:39 pm)Mathilda Wrote: If someone transitions and can as a consequent function perfectly well in society. If they are accepted as such in their chosen gender and no one knows their medical history, which becomes less and less relevant to their daily lives. If they are happy and contended with their lives and able to achieve great things, then how can they be considered mentally ill?
Seriously?

Yes seriously.

You didn't answer my question. Maybe you need to define what a mental illness is.
Transexuals
(April 12, 2016 at 1:48 pm)Drich Wrote:
(April 12, 2016 at 11:39 am)LadyForCamus Wrote: Man, Drich!  You are an expert in everything!!!  Is any topic you DON'T know more about than everyone else?

[Image: 663725757a6e5fb209210f588f0e9974.jpg]

The narcissism is strong in this one...

As I've said many many times. I don't 'know' anything. But I research EVERYTHING. Some of it sticks.

I seek and search for primary source material and if it interests me I will study it. Then I question what I know and what is popularly believed. Then some of the more hypocritical topics I like to discuss.

See, that the problem with most of you. You think your smart because you think you 'know stuff' when in truth you are only comfortable with what you think you know. which 99 times out of 10 is wrong.

I on the other hand make no qualms that I am an idiot. which pushes me to look everything up even words people like you take for granted (like mental illness) then I cross reference it at least 2 other times, and even sometimes I will seek an opposing view and refute it before I go with something.

Which makes me right, (most of the time) not smart.

99 times out of 10? Damn, you are good! [emoji6]. Jk. Seriously though, if you don't want to discuss the ideas relevant to this issue, then I'm not really seeing a point to this thread.

(April 12, 2016 at 1:09 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: Perhaps the answer is for us all to stop having hang ups about our bodies and have a more European attitude. I went swimming at a pool in France, there was only one changing room and no booths. the French people just whipped their clothes off, while me and the future Mrs Plumb struggled to keep our English reserve with copious use of towels. Apparently she saw it as an ordeal but I think the French had the better attitude.

The wife, my stepson and myself visited Japan almost 30 years ago.  We paid a visit to a park in Nara where little deer roamed around undisturbed by people.  There we used a public bathroom which was unisex without partitions or cubicles of any kind.  It felt like peeing in a crowed elevator with everyone looking up or away and acting nonplused.  Of course I don't know from first hand experience exactly what it feels like to pee in an elevator, but I imagine it would be something like that.
(April 12, 2016 at 11:41 am)Mister Agenda Wrote:
Drich Wrote:But again, if GID people do indeed have a diagnosible mental illness Shouldn't the treatment of said illness be in the forefront of this society's concern, rather than changing society to allow enabling of said illness?

The thing is, being trans is not synonymous with gender identity dysphoria; and when it IS the case, transitioning can be very effective as the cure.

Remember that the key difference between eccentricity and mental illness is ability to function effectively. A person suffering from GID is usually no longer suffering from it once they align their outward gender identity with their inner one.

ah, no.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_dysphoria

GID is anyone who is distressed/modifies behavior to emulate the opposite sex (from his/her assigned sex @ birth)

So ALL Transsexuals get classified as suffering from GID
(April 12, 2016 at 11:48 am)Mister Agenda Wrote:
Drich Wrote:Seriously?

It's like I woke up in the twilight zone... Mental Illness is defined by the medical community. It is a series of behavioral disorder that affects cognitive thought. ('good' or bad makes no difference) It has absolutely nothing to do with personal assessment, but rather setting a bar of mental stability and documenting how and why those who can not reach said bar. Then setting in place a course of treatment to help those who cant reach that bar.

Mental illness is not a standard set forth or defined by personal assessment (what you or we think should be allowed.) It is a standard set forth by professionals who currently look at the underlining behaviors (not just what manifests itself on the surface/what you are judging) in order to make a determination if an individual will be a danger to THEM SELVES or others now or in the future if their given disorder is left unchecked.
I'm not a psychologist, but I DO have a degree in psychology, for what it's worth. There's a line between diagnosable mental illness and having issues. Many people who are not comfortable with their gender identity to the point that they elect to transition to some degree are not diagnosable as having GID. You only have GID if it's harming your ability to live your life.

And a mental illness does not have to rise to the level that you are a danger to yourself or others to be diagnosable. And many mental illnesses do not get worse over time untreated; with schizophrenia being a notable exception. I've never heard of someone killing someone because they have GID, and when someone with GID kills themselves, it is almost always due to depression brought on by being treated badly by others.

First rule of Psych Club: Know your limitations. Don't diagnose people unless you're qualified. Don't diagnose people you don't know.
duche bag... who did I diagnose?

For what it's worth with a degree in Psych club, you'd think they'd teach you to research GID a little better before you went off trying to explain it. (in your last post)