Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 28, 2024, 2:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
All Hail the Second Amendment
RE: All Hail the Second Amendment
Obviously, the point I was making is that if you intend to be (or find yourself) in an environment where you may encounter certain possibilities (a collision, or any similar threatening environment), it's best to be prepared for such possibilities to arise. Your car's tough metal exterior, it's airbags and safety features, are all DEFENSIVE tools, not unlike a gun in an environment where violence is rampant.
(June 24, 2016 at 6:45 pm)Spirian Wrote:
(June 24, 2016 at 6:36 pm)Gawdzilla Wrote: So, you DON'T need a gun to protect yourself? You're NOT vulnerable to fear mongering and induction of paranoia? 

Could have fooled me.

I'm a realist. The bad guys have guns, it's only proper that the good guys should have equal defensive capabilities. There's a big difference between living in fear and being realistic about the world we live in. Preparedness does not equal fear.

(June 24, 2016 at 6:45 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Obama is right.  Hitler was wrong.

Both are wrong.
Both are right.
(June 24, 2016 at 7:21 pm)Spirian Wrote: Obviously, the point I was making is that if you intend to be (or find yourself) in an environment where you may encounter certain possibilities (a collision, or any similar threatening environment), it's best to be prepared for such possibilities to arise. Your car's tough metal exterior, it's airbags and safety features, are all DEFENSIVE tools, not unlike a gun in an environment where violence is rampant.

But I don't need a gun on any given day. Haven't carried one since 1989. So your analogy falls flat.
Trouble is, violence isn't rampant, and I just like to shoot paper plates and empty green bean cans....it's my version of a zen rock garden....so I don't find the self defense angle all that compelling. Violence is the furthest thing from my mind when shooting, trouble, in the general, is the furthest thing from my mind when shooting. Can't hit a target out at range with all of that distraction bubbling around. Just my two cents.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 24, 2016 at 8:53 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Trouble is, violence isn't rampant, and I just like to shoot paper plates and empty green bean cans....it's my version of a zen rock garden....so I don't find the self defense angle all that compelling.  Violence is the furthest thing from my mind when shooting, trouble, in the general, is the furthest thing from my mind when shooting.  Can't hit a target out at range with all of that distraction bubbling around.  Just my two cents.

Add  to that the fact that a gun may not be the best means of deterring a criminal. The options with a gun are "wave it around and hope you don't need to use it" and "try to kill that guy." I prefer edged weapons and cudgels myself. I always have a solidly built cane with me, and if you come into my house you'd need to some time to find all my blades. I can cut a guy without killing him, and put him to sleep, instead of put him to death.
But in Gun Nut Nation we are now short one 4-year old.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/201606..._self.html

Quote:Cops: Girl, 4, believed to have accidentally shot self

Quote:Philadelphia police on Friday said a 4-year-old girl who died Thursday of a bullet wound to the head may have accidentally shot herself.
You gotta have an Iver Johnson revolver if you have little kids in the house.  They can play with them without shooting themselves.

[img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c...olvers.jpg[img]
Gotta ask why you would leave a gun lying around.
(June 24, 2016 at 9:56 pm)Gawdzilla Wrote: Gotta ask why you would leave a gun lying around.
You shouldn't leave a loaded gun lying around.  If you leave an unloaded gun lying around someone will probably steal it or the kid will take it to school.  If you have a gun accessible and the thug cops kick in your door unannounced you might reach for it and they will kill you because "they feared for their lives".

Besides, once bullets start flying one of them might hit your neighbor.  That will tick him off and he might burn down your house.
(June 25, 2016 at 4:03 am)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote:
(June 24, 2016 at 9:56 pm)Gawdzilla Wrote: Gotta ask why you would leave a gun lying around.
You shouldn't leave a loaded gun lying around.  If you leave an unloaded gun lying around someone will probably steal it or the kid will take it to school.  If you have a gun accessible and the thug cops kick in your door unannounced you might reach for it and they will kill you because "they feared for their lives".

Besides, once bullets start flying one of them might hit your neighbor.  That will tick him off and he might burn down your house.

I agree, but last night a four year old shot himself in the head. One story of many. Guns are either stored safely or ready for immediate use. If they're stored safely they're no use for the holy "home defense". If they're ready for immediate use then they're a danger to anyone in the house, and, as you mentioned, some people not even in the house. 

Ardent gunners refuse to consider this fact.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If the 25th amendment wasn't meant for Trump, then who was it meant for? GODZILLA 24 1815 October 20, 2018 at 1:22 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Ivanka insulting the mothers of all immigrants, or better: all immigrants. WinterHold 22 2310 May 31, 2018 at 8:31 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Can someone tell me where in the 2nd amendment it says you can carry machine guns? NuclearEnergy 310 73909 May 16, 2017 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Paul Ryan (must watch) 39 second vid Manowar 2 1167 March 7, 2017 at 8:30 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  America Divided: Second Civil War Coming? Secular Elf 81 13437 February 24, 2017 at 9:37 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Naturally. The Fuckers Only Care About The Second Amendment. Minimalist 14 1996 December 10, 2016 at 7:48 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Trump's 2nd amendment call to arms not a criminal offense? Whateverist 17 3200 August 11, 2016 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Petition: second referendum for leaving the EU robvalue 37 4477 June 25, 2016 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Fuckhead Judge Faces Second Ouster AFTT47 3 1196 May 7, 2016 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  All Hail The Free Market Minimalist 7 2435 September 26, 2015 at 5:23 pm
Last Post: Minimalist