Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 5, 2024, 12:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
I am a theist, what do you think of my proof for God existing?
RE: I am a theist, what do you think of my proof for God existing?
Brian says: "If you want to prove that God is the creator of the universe, you can't use 'God created the universe' as a definitional premise. Boob."

That is very good, but tell me how are you going to get to know what you are talking about?

You see, that is the concept in our mind, then we will go forth into the reality of objective existence to search for evidence of an entity that corresponds to the concept in our mind.

Now you will continue with saying that it is circular reasoning.

What is wrong with circular reasoning? that is what we do in our mind, otherwise we will not even know in our mind what we are thinking about.

When you know both the subject and the predicate of a thought in your mind, i.e. a sentence in your mind, that is a circular thought, but it is useful to proceed to search for the object as thought of correctly, namely, that one word or several words stand for one another or several other words, in terms of concepts in our mind: otherwise, I ask you how can you think at all as to know what you are thinking about, unless with concepts which concepts come to you in words?

Suppose, Brian, let you and me exchange thoughts about circular thinking or reasoning or argument, is that all right with you? so that we can get started on with a logical launching pad?
they might be half right. The universe may have very well been born. But your average adult child of abuse that is seeking revenge in religion will never give in to that possibility.
anti-logical Fallacies of Ambiguity
Mariosep! You are understood! People are disagreeing with you! Do you comprehend?
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

What about: There is an intelligible and rational universe. If it was made by a God, then God is also intelligible and rational.

But that formula is also opposite the direction of causality -If there is a God that created the universe, it came first, not the universe.
"Leave it to me to find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew the rules but the rules did not know me, guaranteed." - Eddie Vedder
(October 24, 2016 at 7:28 pm)comet Wrote: they might be half right.  The universe may have very well been born.  But your average adult child of abuse that is seeking revenge in religion will never give in to that possibility.

A "born" (procreated) universe is more fundamental than an "intelligently designed" universe. There is no arbitrary mental creation/decree in biological reproduction. The thing reproduces it's own nature and that's it.
"Leave it to me to find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew the rules but the rules did not know me, guaranteed." - Eddie Vedder
The Cosmological Argument has been soundly refuted for centuries. Those finding the topic interesting should digest this:

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/cosmol...-argument/

It's a rationalization and is only convincing to those that already believe for other reasons. I've never understood why otherwise intelligent people find the argument convincing with the abrupt and arbitrary interruption of the causal chain to coincide with myths already accepted as true; special pleading.
Quote: Anyway, for colleagues here who do care to share their thoughts on how they get to their position that god at least the one they care to talk about, just pick one, any one at all - for we cannot be into no god in particular, that is not logically feasible but a waste of time and labor.

There is no evidence that your god, or any god, exists.  Having read your screed that streak continues intact.

(P.S. - your bible is not "evidence.")
Okay, thanks a lot for your participation, everyone here.

Are we now into causation, but I was thinking that we will talk about circular reasoning?

Anyway, so causation it is going to be.

You think that there is no causation at all, it is all what, correlation?

Causation is one kind of correlation, do you agree?
(October 24, 2016 at 7:32 pm)Arkilogue Wrote:
(October 24, 2016 at 7:28 pm)comet Wrote: they might be half right.  The universe may have very well been born.  But your average adult child of abuse that is seeking revenge in religion will never give in to that possibility.

A "born" (procreated) universe is more fundamental than an "intelligently designed" universe. There is no arbitrary mental creation/decree in biological reproduction.  The thing reproduces it's own nature and that's it.

I only do observations that support a belief, not what I want it to be belief. It may have been born.  If a person needs it to be dumb, or smart, they might want to ask why that is.  

We are smart, well sort of, and we have nothing the universe doesn't have more of.  That's is more rational than saying we have something more than the universe has.
anti-logical Fallacies of Ambiguity
It is all right to disagree, but it is more all right that with disagreement, parties to the disagreement agree to expound on their reasons why they disagree, respectively from each side.

So, let dear colleagues here, point out one thing you disagree with me here in this thread, that I am expounding on, namely, how to prove God exists, with first coming to the information of the concept of God, then going into objective reality to search for the evidence of an entity corresponding to the concept of God in our mind.

What do you find disagreeable to you and why?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you think Atheists are stupid? Authari 121 6246 January 4, 2024 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Do you think God is authoritarian? ShinyCrystals 65 3524 December 9, 2023 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The fascinating asymmetry of theist-atheist discussion Astreja 5 488 July 22, 2023 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Europeans already think about Harry Potter, not about god Interaktive 11 1143 January 1, 2023 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  I'm no longer an anti-theist Duty 27 2109 September 16, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  I received a letter from a theist, need a good reply Radamand 22 2095 March 22, 2022 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 1014 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Proof at least one god is b.s. onlinebiker 10 1425 March 16, 2021 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  What do you think of LGBTQ2? SlimePumper 58 7312 February 18, 2019 at 5:19 am
Last Post: Agnostico
  Who do you think is best atheist of our times? GGG 70 7522 January 22, 2019 at 10:19 am
Last Post: GGG