Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 10:43 am

Poll: Where you stand?
This poll is closed.
There is no karma and no future lives so criminals get off the hook
58.54%
24 58.54%
There is karma and nobody who commit crimes get off the hook.
7.32%
3 7.32%
I wouldn't know, in any case I don't care
34.15%
14 34.15%
Total 41 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Karma poll
RE: Karma poll
(November 3, 2016 at 9:49 am)Little Rik Wrote: Confused again Astr.

No, I'm not confused in the least.  Medically, and particularly neurologically, I know My stuff.  Anyone who comes back from a near-death experience has not suffered sufficient brain degeneration to be permanently dead, and I am quite sure that permanent death causes the brain to break down so thoroughly that no further awareness is possible.

Quote:Consciousness goes in degrees.  
We got different degrees of consciousness all the time.
When you sleep the consciousness may be at a level 0.

This is with a living brain.

Permanently dead brains effectively stay at zero forever, and when the process of brain degeneration becomes irreversible your "soul" simply ceases to exist.
(November 3, 2016 at 11:13 am)Astreja Wrote:

No, I'm not confused in the least.  Medically, and particularly neurologically, I know My stuff.  Anyone who comes back from a near-death experience has not suffered sufficient brain degeneration to be permanently dead, and I am quite sure that permanent death causes the brain to break down so thoroughly that no further awareness is possible.

This is with a living brain.

Permanently dead brains effectively stay at zero forever, and when the process of brain degeneration becomes irreversible your "soul" simply ceases to exist.

You're fairly new, so let me explain how this goes. Twenty pages from now, your patience exhausted at repeatedly making the same point, you will bow out of the thread in disgust. Lil Rik, King Fool in Residence, will continue to insist that NDEs are evidence of an afterlife and Karma, and the same topic will pop up in another thread, just as it did here and as it has in others stretching back to my first awareness of this jackass.

He's a lost cause. If you must persist, do so with the lurkers in mind. You'll never make a dent with Rik.
(November 3, 2016 at 11:25 am)Crossless1 Wrote: You're fairly new, so let me explain how this goes. Twenty pages from now, your patience exhausted at repeatedly making the same point, you will bow out of the thread in disgust. Lil Rik, King Fool in Residence, will continue to insist that NDEs are evidence of an afterlife and Karma, and the same topic will pop up in another thread, just as it did here and as it has in others stretching back to my first awareness of this jackass.

He's a lost cause. If you must persist, do so with the lurkers in mind. You'll never make a dent with Rik.

Oh, I assure you that I'm doing it primarily for the lurkers. Big Grin
(November 3, 2016 at 8:12 am)Little Rik Wrote: ..........scientific and peer reviewed............ Wink

You are a total joke Lady.  Smile

How can you expect something spiritual and superior to the physical-material aspect to be scrutinized by
the physical science?

If the "something spiritual and superior to the physical-material aspect" affects the material - read: real - world in any way at all, that effect ought to be at least detectable. That puts it squarely in the purview of science.

If it can't, then there's nothing to bother about and we can ignore it.

Intresting how the "spiritual" and the non-existent look exactly the same.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
"The spiritual" appears to be a code word for "flights of the imagination that I want to be real."

It's fine to make up crap if you're authoring a piece of fiction, but if you assert that your crap works in the real world and people laugh at you, you have only yourself to blame.
Well, yourself and karma.  Obviously, getting mocked is punishment for having kicked dogs in a previous life. Honestly, that's getting off pretty easy by karmic retribution standards, to hear rik tell it.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 3, 2016 at 11:13 am)Astreja Wrote:

From a physical point of view you would be correct but NDEs go well behind the physical aspect.
NDEs go where the physicality end and the spiritual realm start that is why the physical aspect
means absolutely nothing.

In the spiritual realm everything is possible and what seem unreal to someone who only see the physical aspect is natural in the spiritual realm.

You never thought of that Astr, did you? Bird

Quote:This is with a living brain.

Once again you reason from a physical point of view. Shake Fist

Don't forget that the spiritual consciousness is miles and miles in front the physical aspect.

Why betting on the loser Astr? Smile
(November 4, 2016 at 10:50 am)Little Rik Wrote: From a physical point of view you would be correct but NDEs go well behind the physical aspect.

Not demonstrated.  I believe that NDEs are 100% based in human physiology.

Quote:In the spiritual realm everything is possible and what seem unreal to someone who only see the physical aspect is natural in the spiritual realm.

I believe that "the spiritual realm" is also 100% based in human physiology, and that it ceases when the brain is no longer able to sustain it.

I do not believe in spiritual or supernatural things at all, and I find you completely unconvincing and will not be giving you and your ridiculous beliefs the benefit of a doubt.
(November 3, 2016 at 1:29 pm)Stimbo Wrote:
(November 3, 2016 at 8:12 am)Little Rik Wrote: ..........scientific and peer reviewed............ Wink

You are a total joke Lady.  Smile

How can you expect something spiritual and superior to the physical-material aspect to be scrutinized by
the physical science?

If the "something spiritual and superior to the physical-material aspect" affects the material - read: real - world in any way at all, that effect ought to be at least detectable. That puts it squarely in the purview of science.

If it can't, then there's nothing to bother about and we can ignore it.

Intresting how the "spiritual" and the non-existent look exactly the same.

Wrong again Stim.  Shake Fist

The spiritual aspect affect also the physical-mental aspect.
Even in the past spiritual people were seen as superior beings.
Just look at the representations of saints with the aureola on the head.
Even today you may see people with bright eyes and shiny appearances.
I am sure that sooner or later will invent a machine that will see the purity within.  Lightbulb
(November 4, 2016 at 11:07 am)Little Rik Wrote: Wrong again Stim.  Shake Fist

The spiritual aspect affect also the physical-mental aspect.

Then it must be detectable, which is exactly what I said.

Great. Now where's the evidence for these physical effects?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Keep or Remove Religion Poll FrustratedFool 36 3045 December 11, 2023 at 2:40 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Karma's a ***! zwanzig 25 2005 August 5, 2023 at 11:56 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Poll: Christians, is this man a hero or a Grinch in your eyes? Mystical 27 3569 December 19, 2016 at 10:01 am
Last Post: Mystical
  New Pew Research poll - Muslims opinions on Islam Heat 2 1594 December 10, 2015 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Gallup Poll Minimalist 2 1439 May 29, 2013 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Kittenshere Poll - Atheists Only! Darwinian 30 11072 September 9, 2009 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  Poll: Do your beliefs match those of your peers? fr0d0 13 7071 May 20, 2009 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  The God Poll Darwinian 0 2475 September 25, 2008 at 4:02 am
Last Post: Darwinian