Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 1:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can something come from nothing
RE: Can something come from nothing
(February 3, 2017 at 3:00 am)robvalue Wrote: despite there being no logical reason to hold that belief anymore.

I especially love that part. There really is no reason for anyone to have religious faith.

Faith is simply a clutch for one who cannot properly deal with reality, much in the same way that drugs or alcohol are the clutch for others.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Cheers Blush
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
He he ...So Rob, basically, the apologists have invented the words "immaterial", spiritual, etc, as an extension of their favourite fallacy, the god of the gaps fallacy. Outside of space and time? wtf!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Yeah. It may as well be called, "You can't take my toys away!"

Keep them, seriously. I don't care. Just name one direct practical, demonstrable result that has ever come out of the "Study of immaterial things that exist". Or theology, for that matter. You can't, because there isn't any. It's a waste of time. You've defined them so as they are impossible to demonstrate.

I'm not saying there is nothing there. I'm saying you don't know anything about it, if there is anything there.

It's a conflation of literal existence and abstract concepts or metaphors. Sure, concepts can be said to "exist". God exists as a concept. You'll get no arguments from me there.

Lol, "The study of things you can't prove aren't there".
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
The outside of space and time meme is one that I am personally familiar with because I used it myself when I were a Christian. But from a purely linguistic [ non ontological ] perspective
it makes zero sense. Because space and time are features of the universe. And the definition of universe is all that there is. Ergo there can be nothing outside of it since how can there be
something outside of all that there is? So if the entity known as God does actually exist he has to do so within the universe not without it. When I am talking about the universe here I do
not mean merely the local expansion of the observable cosmos. But everything else too. Therefore before the Big Bang [ if there was a before ] Beyond this universe in to other universes
[ if they exist ] Everything that has ever existed and will ever exist. And so if the entity known as God is not anywhere there [ even if he cannot be detected ] then he does not exist at all
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
(February 3, 2017 at 5:52 am)surreptitious57 Wrote: The outside of space and time meme is one that I am personally familiar with because I used it myself when I were a Christian. But from a purely linguistic [ non ontological ] perspective it makes zero sense. Because space and time are features of the universe. And the definition of universe is all that there is. Ergo there can be nothing outside of it since how can there be
something outside of all that there is? So if the entity known as God does actually exist he has to do so within the universe not without it.

You are correct to say that technically of the word 'universe' is 'all that is, was or ever will be", but we've kind of moved away from that definition, That definition is not how people use it today. Now it means a self-contained and self-sustaining physical entity that could be part of a larger totality, e.g. a multiverse. If some version of multiverse theory is correct, then each local universe exists outside the time and space of all the others. Nevertheless, that's not how I think about God, as some entity standing apart our world. I tend toward Panentheism.
(February 2, 2017 at 8:58 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(February 2, 2017 at 12:27 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: The fact is that some ontological positions are logically incoherent, like materialism, and others are not.

In what way is materialism incoherent, ontologically?

Protip: It isn't.
(February 2, 2017 at 8:58 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(February 2, 2017 at 12:27 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: The fact is that some ontological positions are logically incoherent, like materialism, and others are not.

In what way is materialism incoherent, ontologically?

My comment was more of a throw away line leading to a larger point about Robvalue's tacit ontology. Your question is simple. But since materialism is a term of art, I would place myself in peril of creating a host of straw men if I failed to make all manner of qualifications and distinctions between physical reduction, naturalism, mechanism, etc. I am sure you already have some notions of my general objections to materialistic theories. You and I have discussed it many times.

(February 3, 2017 at 2:08 am)robvalue Wrote: By the way, I'm a mathematician...

...who apparently believes that the sum of a string of zeros is greater than zero.
surreptitious57 Wrote:And the definition of universe is all that there is. Ergo there can be nothing outside of it since how can there be something outside of all that there is? So if the entity known as God does actually exist he has to do so within the universe not without it.

As soon as anything exists, you have a universe. If God is real, and at one point nothing else but God existed, then God was the entirety of the universe then. Or quantum foam. Or branes. Or whatever turns out to be the actual case, if we're ever able to find out with some degree of certainty beyond 'the math works and it doesn't violate any evidence or laws of physics that we know of'.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Assuming for the sake of argument that other universes exist then collectively they would be the universe or the Universe. The reason why the word
multiverse is used instead is to avoid obvious confusion. However multiverse is just another word for the universe. Another word for all that there is
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Something to watch for (or avoid) The Valkyrie 24 2374 October 4, 2023 at 4:24 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Something to think about .... scamper 16 1735 November 13, 2022 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  A hint at something deeper Ahriman 0 222 October 5, 2022 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  How come "Snow White Disney movie" was so disliked by J.R.R Tolkien and C.S Lewis Woah0 3 493 August 21, 2022 at 10:56 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Something for nothing onlinebiker 92 5223 September 14, 2021 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The really real Something For Nothing no one 1 415 September 12, 2021 at 5:50 pm
  Pizza, just bit the bullet, trying something new. Brian37 19 1427 June 14, 2021 at 11:58 am
Last Post: brewer
  Where do these idiots come from? onlinebiker 23 2720 April 22, 2020 at 5:48 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  It’s Christmas so say something nice The Valkyrie 16 1832 December 19, 2019 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: no one
  When someone says something really stupid. Cod 8 1606 July 28, 2019 at 7:35 am