Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 4:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plantinga's "Free Will" defense contradicts Christianity
RE: Plantinga's "Free Will" defense contradicts Christianity
Quote:There are a lot of similar things. Addictions, I have read somewhere, may have a genetic foundation. God could change the gene. No interference with free will. You could come up with plenty of other examples but I think you get the drift.

If God could genetically alter humans to prevent or cure addiction, and free will is a thing, why wouldn't God have created people in such a way that, of their own free will, they would never commit an evil act?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I think it's generally good to view most brain injuries and diseases, even those stemming from genetic or behaviors such as drug use, as either hijacking, exploiting, or limiting what the brain does naturally. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't know any disorder that adds a behavior that isn't already possible in a healthy brain. Drugs and diseases are using the same colors to make a different painting.

Everything that's good can be used for evil. Your immune system fights off pathogens, but if it no longer recognizes your native cells you get an autoimmune disorder. The same hands that can be used for building houses can be used for breaking necks. Evil can always be possible because things that are designed for good can always be misplaced.

Perhaps the only way to design an organism incapable of evil is to create an organism that has no autonomy, no behaviors, and no functions.
Fair enough, let's restrict it to moral (as opposed to natural) evil.

I've just discovered where my neighbour keeps tens of thousands of dollars in her house.  She routinely leaves the door unlocked, and is away for a large part of the day.  I have every opportunity to walk into her home and take the money.  I decline to do so.  Does this make me an automaton?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(February 8, 2020 at 10:49 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Fair enough, let's restrict it to moral (as opposed to natural) evil.

I've just discovered where my neighbour keeps tens of thousands of dollars in her house.  She routinely leaves the door unlocked, and is away for a large part of the day.  I have every opportunity to walk into her home and take the money.  I decline to do so.  Does this make me an automaton?

Boru

The bartender charges me for 5 beers, when I had 10. Even at that stage I corrected him.
(February 8, 2020 at 10:49 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I've just discovered where my neighbour keeps tens of thousands of dollars in her house.  She routinely leaves the door unlocked, and is away for a large part of the day.  I have every opportunity to walk into her home and take the money.  I decline to do so.  Does this make me an automaton?

Boru

Based on the description it doesn't sound like you are. I say this because most psychologists are more comfortable speaking about free won't rather than free will. Declining to do something sounds similar to the conscious experience of impulse control most people associate with free will (see Filvenich, et al., 2012).

Reference: Filvenich, E., Kuhn, S., and Haggard P. (2012) Intentional inhibition in human action: The power of 'no.' Neuroscience and Behavioral Reviews, 36, p. 1107-118.
(February 8, 2020 at 11:20 am)John 6IX Breezy Wrote:
(February 8, 2020 at 10:49 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I've just discovered where my neighbour keeps tens of thousands of dollars in her house.  She routinely leaves the door unlocked, and is away for a large part of the day.  I have every opportunity to walk into her home and take the money.  I decline to do so.  Does this make me an automaton?

Boru

Based on the description it doesn't sound like you are. I say this because most psychologists are more comfortable speaking about free won't rather that free will. Declining to do something sounds similar to the conscious experience of impulse control most people associate with free will (see Filvenich, et al., 2012).

Reference: Filvenich, E., Kuhn, S., and Haggard P. (2012) Intentional inhibition in human action: The power of 'no.' Neuroscience and Behavioral Reviews, 36, p. 1107-118.

Agreed. So what would be the objection to God having created every human being to freely act or not act in a manner pleasing to God? You would always be free to do x but you would always freely choose to do not-x, and vice versa. All possibility of sin and the attendant punishment would be removed without the abrogation of free will.

Boru
Libet was a fool for his free won't hypothesis.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(February 8, 2020 at 11:34 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Agreed. So what would be the objection to God having created every human being to freely act or not act in a manner pleasing to God? You would always be free to do x but you would always freely choose to do not-x, and vice versa. All possibility of sin and the attendant punishment would be removed without the abrogation of free will.

Boru

If I understood correctly, you're asking why does sin get punished in the first place, why not just allow it?
(February 8, 2020 at 11:56 am)John 6IX Breezy Wrote:
(February 8, 2020 at 11:34 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Agreed. So what would be the objection to God having created every human being to freely act or not act in a manner pleasing to God? You would always be free to do x but you would always freely choose to do not-x, and vice versa. All possibility of sin and the attendant punishment would be removed without the abrogation of free will.

Boru

If I understood correctly, you're asking why does sin get punished in the first place, why not just allow it?

No, I'm asking why God doesn't eliminate sin when it is within his power to do so.

Boru
(February 8, 2020 at 11:59 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: No, I'm asking why God doesn't eliminate sin when it is within his power to do so.

Boru

I think the elimination of sin is the whole point of the Bible. Perhaps with the added perk/complication that he wants to save mankind from a sinking ship too, not just toss them all out the window. The story in scripture starts with the fall of mankind (sin enters), the plan of salvation (Jesus atoning for sin), and judgment (getting rid of sin).

Edit: Oops I think I understand what you mean now. Create people who can sin but choose not to? I don't know, from the surface it seems contradictory. Either you can or you can't. I'm not sure how to answer that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 7091 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  An abortion in defense of the Bible. IanHulett 3 1396 July 19, 2015 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The most insane defense of faith healing ever Esquilax 38 6790 February 27, 2015 at 10:01 am
Last Post: Spooky
  Rational defense of Christianity? watchamadoodle 108 28231 January 4, 2015 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Judgement day defense strageity [sic] Pt. 2 Mudhammam 26 5961 November 5, 2014 at 12:16 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Judgement day defense strageity. Drich 87 12510 November 4, 2014 at 7:31 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  The free will argument demonstrates that christians don't understand free will. Esquilax 91 18195 May 2, 2014 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  Genesis 1:1 contradicts science. Mudhammam 36 10284 January 9, 2014 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Christianity vs Gnostic Christianity themonkeyman 12 8581 December 26, 2013 at 11:00 am
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  Moderate Christianity - Even More Illogical Than Fundamentalist Christianity? Xavier 22 18526 November 23, 2013 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)