Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 4, 2024, 11:57 am

Poll: The Death Penalty
This poll is closed.
I support it
40.66%
37 40.66%
I oppose it
59.34%
54 59.34%
Total 91 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Death Penalty - are you for or against it and why?
RE: The Death Penalty - are you for or against it and why?
I do not connect the inadequacies of the justice system and media in your case to my suggestion regarding the thought that the death penalty is never an option is naive. There are different naivetes, and I am naive regarding what it is like to be charged with any drug offense; I do not, however, think that that obviates my reason for supporting the death penalty as a solution to the problem of multiple offense rapists or murderers. There are plenty of reasons to mistrust the judicial system. The sentencing of a serial rapist or killer (or terrorist) to death is not, to my mind, one of them.
Trying to update my sig ...
(October 22, 2011 at 6:21 pm)Epimethean Wrote: I do not connect the inadequacies of the justice system and media in your case to my suggestion regarding the thought that the death penalty is never an option is naive. There are different naivetes, and I am naive regarding what it is like to be charged with any drug offense; I do not, however, think that that obviates my reason for supporting the death penalty as a solution to the problem of multiple offense rapists or murderers. There are plenty of reasons to mistrust the judicial system. The sentencing of a serial rapist or killer (or terrorist) to death is not, to my mind, one of them.

Well...looks like we will have to agree to disagree then
Can I just say that I find the 'You haven't seen it so what do you fucking know' argument really patronising and insulting? Care to knock it off, Epi? You don't know the first thing about what I've seen or done, or who I've spoken to, so don't presume to declare my opinion invalid. Even if it's true, it's irrelevant. It's a human rights issue, which I'm not clueless on, and I'm not going to be spoken down to just because you used to be a cop.
I'll be changing my vote when I get home... While I support the economical reasons for it WHEN A COUNTRY HAS AN OBSESSION WITH MAKING LAWS THAT LAND PEOPLE IN PRISON: I support working with people (even those deemed 'criminal') and as summarily as I dismiss the death penalty on my principles: so to do I dismiss life imprisonment.

The mobile forum is a pain in the ass sometimes. <-offT
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Every few pages I like to pop into this thread and say "some things, once done, cannot be undone" and leave that dangling as a rock solid argument against the death penalty in light of our horrid track record with death row convictions. We don't just get it wrong a little bit, we get it wrong a lot of bit. I don't go so far as Sae, standing against life imprisonment. Some people clearly have checked themselves out of our social contract and they need to be removed from the rest of us. Are prisons perfect, not at all, and life in one of them is a terrible prospect. Are there people who I wouldn't cry a single tear for wasting away in them or sentenced to die, absolutely. However, I'd rather that people rotted for 50 years than be executed, and I'd set 100 murderers sentenced to execution free if it meant that one of them (who was innocent) escaped the axe. I can't accept such an extreme and irreversible punishment doled out by a system that fails so routinely that it couldn't make it passed a chinese toy factory's QC.

I know I've linked this awhile back, but we HAVE executed people even after all evidence that lead to their conviction had been thoroughly discredited.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
The whole "wait until it happens to you" argument doesn't hold water. It HAS happened to me. And while I think that the man who did it should be removed from society, I do not wish him dead. What good would come of that? Why cause more anguish? His family and friends do not deserve to suffer for his actions.
That will never hold up in court...
Rhythm Wrote:I don't go so far as Sae, standing against life imprisonment.

Going as far as I really go... I'm against all imprisonment (though temporary bonds I can accept). Only banishment (and to a place they could feasibly survive) for removing someone from your society (and designated easily reachable places they can go if they wish to come back and/or see if their name has been cleared yet). Caging people is about as immoral as you can get for me.
(October 26, 2011 at 7:22 pm)Vaeolet Lilly Blossom Wrote:
Rhythm Wrote:I don't go so far as Sae, standing against life imprisonment.

Going as far as I really go... I'm against all imprisonment (though temporary bonds I can accept). Only banishment (and to a place they could feasibly survive) for removing someone from your society (and designated easily reachable places they can go if they wish to come back and/or see if their name has been cleared yet). Caging people is about as immoral as you can get for me.

Here here!
Revvie, you're crowding out my Syna love. He's not going to like that Tongue
What shield should our own morality offer those who have shown themselves willing to exploit it? I like prison islands without bars too.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 dollar stands firmly against 1 hryvnia. Why? Interaktive 6 428 June 23, 2021 at 5:00 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why oh why are people on the righ so against LGBT folk? NuclearEnergy 10 2041 July 26, 2017 at 11:36 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Why is the Democratic Party against the only person who could save them? Mystical 63 16425 June 3, 2017 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  This Is What You're Up Against With Drumpfucks Minimalist 20 2652 March 18, 2017 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Argument against the death penalty by a r-wing conservative Catholic_Lady 0 696 December 6, 2016 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Death Penalty Vote brewer 55 9436 October 12, 2016 at 1:03 am
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Do you know why wars happens and why middle east is robbed? Safirno 12 2208 July 9, 2016 at 11:48 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Remember Progressives.... This Is What You Are Defending Against Minimalist 19 2798 May 27, 2016 at 2:28 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Just another reason why I'm against guns. Foxaèr 12 1538 May 12, 2016 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Views on the Death Penalty? (a poll) Catholic_Lady 171 24227 July 9, 2015 at 10:20 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady