Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 2:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about meaning and perception of reality from a theist.
RE: Question about meaning and perception of reality from a theist.
(January 8, 2012 at 1:22 pm)amkerman Wrote: Im an idealistic realistic rationalist. If you must label me.
I believe everything exists as a possibility of physical reality. The only thing I can assert with 100% certainty is that at this very instant I am perceiving something. Everything else is just beliefs about what I am perceiving.

If an irrational person strings some words together on a forum where rational people dwell, will he have actually communicated anything. I'm guessing not. I'm not quite sure why you think you are here, anklebiter, but assuming it has something to do with saving us from eternal damnation .. please cut it out. To each his own. You go pack for heaven. We'll savor the life we have right now. If you're right please just have a good laugh at our expense but don't worry so much about what our delusional fate may be. Trust me, most of us would do a double back flip into the lake of fire before we'd join you at the foot of your master and put up with all that elevator harp music.
Half the time you are reasonable whateverist.
There is only one reality. Either you believe in reality, you don't, or you're not sure. If God exists God IS reality, not something that exists within reality, like human beings. You fail to understand the idea of God because it is impossible to comprehend infinity.

"heaven" is not what you have been told. You can't be told. Heaven is just a word.

"Reality is not subject to the limits of human knowledge"
- Troy Gustavel

"God is not what you imagine or what you think you understand. If you understand, you have failed."
- St. Agustine
(January 8, 2012 at 4:42 pm)amkerman Wrote: You fail to understand the idea of God because it is impossible to comprehend infinity.

If this is true, how can you claim to understand God?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(January 8, 2012 at 4:47 pm)Faith No More Wrote:
(January 8, 2012 at 4:42 pm)amkerman Wrote: You fail to understand the idea of God because it is impossible to comprehend infinity.

If this is true, how can you claim to understand God?

I claim nothing of the sort. I can't comprehend all of reality. Therefore I can't understand God.

You claim to believe in god, therefore you must claim to understand something. Also, I have seen you claim god equals reality which means you do believe that you understand something of its nature.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
"you claim to believe in God"
Yes
"therefore you must claim to understand something"
Yes. I understand I believe in God

I believe I understand everything I have learned about everything to some extent. That is a fraction of a percent of everything reality encompasses, if that.
Well, you just finally said something worth reading. You said, "if god exists, god is reality." Of course, you are still lacking in the "why" department. Nonetheless, adding the "if god exists" part is rather forward-thinking of you. What you have to understand is that you cannot prove god exists. Therefore, you cannot prove your point, even if you handle the "why" aspect of your assertion. Sorry, dude. Remember: repeating what you have already said is not going to handle the "why." I've read it. It doesn't explain how you can go from one to the other.

A question for you -- what if more than one god exists? What do you have then? What if your definition of god is wrong and it really means "creature that lives outside of reality?" All right, that was two questions, but I was only serious about the first one.
Whoa Shell. You actually took a statement I said and turned it into a logical argument. I'm impressed. If I were an atheist I would say: no, is simply "lack disbelief" that God exists I suppose. I don't think that way, however, and I completely agree with your statement. So I will answer. (actually you posed three questions, not two, unless one of the many abilities I am lacking in includes the ability to count.)

I will answer all three.

1. What if there is more than one God?

That would mean that there is more than one reality. Or, multiple realities. By definition it's impossible. Even if there are multiple universes with completely different laws governing them, they all exist within "reality". "Reality" necessarily contains everything that exists.

The only analogy I can provide is gravity. What if there are multiple gravities? There can't be. Gravity acts on everything that exists. Even if it acts on itself, it is still gravity.

Maybe you are talking about anti-reality? Anti-God?

That would mean be something that wasn't a part of reality.

If it's not a part of reality, it can't exist within reality.

What thing can't exist with in reality?

No-thing.

2. "What then?"

Impossible.

For arguments sake, if reality exists and nothing exists, only reality exists.

The statement "nothing exists" breaks the law of noncontradiction.

3."what if a creature lives outside reality"

Hopefully you get the picture by now...

Nothing can exist outside of reality. If it exists, it must exist within reality.

(January 8, 2012 at 9:38 pm)amkerman Wrote: Whoa Shell. You actually took a statement I said and turned it into a logical argument. I'm impressed.

I must have said something stupid.

I can't believe you guys are still talking to this amkerman moron as if anything he said in return can possibly be more than the white noise of mind that lacks all function except self-importance.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is the metaethical meaning of 'should'? Disagreeable 1 386 February 26, 2022 at 7:48 am
Last Post: Ahriman
  Are philosophers jealous lovers about reality? vulcanlogician 4 536 February 10, 2022 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  [Serious] Meaning in Life Gnomey 14 954 July 18, 2020 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  A Moral Reality Acrobat 29 3454 September 12, 2019 at 8:09 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Actual Infinity in Reality? SteveII 478 67078 March 6, 2018 at 11:44 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  How can you tell the difference between reality and delusions? Azu 19 7031 June 13, 2017 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Does perfection in reality never contain any flaws ? The Wise Joker 55 9902 February 7, 2017 at 8:56 am
Last Post: Sal
  The Super-Meaning of Romantic Relationships InquiringMind 45 7105 September 29, 2016 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Let's Say I Achieve "Meaning." What Do I Do Next? InquiringMind 51 8227 September 25, 2016 at 3:16 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
Exclamation Proof For The Materialization Of Dream Objects Into Reality A Lucid Dreaming Atheist 15 3960 August 19, 2015 at 1:44 am
Last Post: Alex K