Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 15, 2024, 9:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post your rig information
RE: Post your rig information
(March 26, 2012 at 12:32 pm)Shell B Wrote: Being outnumbered doesn't mean there is a conspiracy afoot.

And we all know that a bunch of people believing in something doesn't make it correct as well. Wink
Its opinion there is no right or wrong.
Sure, but Xbox actually exists and it actually gives me hours of amusement. Therefore, my position is correct. I prefer Xbox. I still don't care if you do. Don't know why you care that I do. *shrugs*
My whole argument was just that the Xbox 360 doesn't even begin to compare to a modern gaming computer on any level. That's all. I don't care if that's what you prefer but don't act like they're similar.
Who did? No one said they were the same. They said 360 is enough for them and stated their reasons for it.

It does seem like an awfully sensitive subject and I simply can't understand it. You would think we were discussing something of far greater import.
[Image: dwight-schrute-meme-generator-fact-victo...d9ac85.jpg]
(March 26, 2012 at 10:42 am)Mosrhun Wrote: You completely ignored most of my points but whatever. If you're content with getting less for your money then go right ahead. The fact that a game has Orcs and Elves in it is because it is a game, a fantasy. That doesn't mean it shouldn't look realistic. By that logic all mythical beings and characters in movies should just look like shit.

My apologies, I was in a rush when writing that post. Let me address your other points now.

(March 26, 2012 at 9:00 am)Mosrhun Wrote: Yes but RAM and CPU don't need to be upgraded all that regularly. The GTX 680 was JUST released like not even a week ago and is probably 10 Failboxes in a single card. I haven't bothered looking up the specs.
No, but they still should be upgraded, that was my point. Games for Xbox consoles are designed for a specific set of hardware, meaning they should theoretically play the same on every single Xbox console. You cannot say the same for PC games. I once bought a PC game for my 2 year old PC, and it wouldn't run properly. I can still go out and buy games for the original xbox console and have them play brilliantly on my Xbox 360.

Oh, and I know the GTX 680 was just released, but I am going by what is new on the market. If I want a gaming rig that will last a long time, surely it is best to go with the very latest tech?

Quote:The point is, games nowadays are supposed to look real, if it's not cartoonish that is.
Who says so? This is your demand, not mine. I care very little about graphics, since at the end of the day, I'm not going to throw down my controller shouting "THE NPCS LOOK FAKE!!!", I'm going to do it shouting "FUCKING GAME DIDN'T JUMP WHEN I TOLD IT TO!!!".

Quote:But wouldn't you prefer superb realism to go along with your great story line? I'm sorry but playing a game like Skyrim when all the textures are matted and blocky, with harsh edges and terrible shading just ruins the experience of traversing the Elder Scrolls "world". Real life doesn't have harsh edges and shitty textures.
Part of this statement makes me think that either (a) you have never played Skyrim on a console, or (b) you have played it on a console, but the console in question was hooked up to a non-HD TV. Believe me, I play Skyrim on a 32" HD TV, and I have no idea about the "harsh edges" and "terrible shading" you are going on about.

Quote:Example: Arkham City was released about 3 months sooner for the Xbox because the developers reached a point that the Xbox would no longer be able to handle it. However, the PC version continued in development to bring the best realism available with Direct X11. Realism your Direct X9 Xbox can only dream of. Even at this, plenty of Xboxes had a hard time running Skyrim and Arkham City without crashing after a few hours of gameplay. It's just pathetic.
Yes, and I've already said that the graphics are worse on consoles. You are arguing a point that we are in 100% agreement on. As for your point about crashes, whilst this may affect some people, it doesn't affect all of them (and certainly hasn't affected me). The same can be said of any PC game though.

Quote:Saying that all that matters is gameplay is like paying money to see a movie in IMAX 3D and it ends up being in blurry ass 480p resolution. You're settling for less.
I know I'm settling for less, but I'm also paying far less money, so for me it works out fine.

(March 26, 2012 at 10:58 am)Mosrhun Wrote: Now you guys are just being silly. Does an Orc exist? Fuck no. However, we know how to make a creature look realistic, as if it could exist. Living creatures sure as hell aren't made of jagged pixels with no anti-aliasing.
Anti-aliasing is supported on most, if not all consoles.

Quote:The bottom line is, you guys are fine with shitty graphics for spending what you consider less money. Even though I'm sure all of you have a computer to work on to begin with. If you combine the cost of your current machine with your lolbox then you come pretty close to being able to build a good gaming machine. Not to mention the prices we're speaking of here is to MAX out graphics for years to come. If you want a mid range machine that can still out preform an Xbox you can do it on the cheap for around $500 probably. So it just comes down to laziness, or lack of give a fuck.
Yes, I have a computer to work on. It's a small 2.5 year old MacBook Pro. I can't speak for everyone else in this thread, but when it came to choosing a new computer, I could have gone with a PC, but I decided ultimately to get a laptop. It cost me the same, but it's small enough to fit easily into my backpack and get carried around. It also has the advantage of being able to connect to an external monitor for when I want to watch HD movies at home.

So no, I'm afraid you can't just lump us all into the group of "already have a PC therefore it is a cheap upgrade". Laptops can do gaming, but obviously not as well as desktop PCs, since most of the components are non-upgradable, and they are all packed into a tiny space so overheating becomes a real problem. If I were to add the total cost of my laptop and Xbox, yeah, I could buy a decent gaming computer for that, but then I wouldn't have a portable computer to take around with me.

It does not come down to laziness, and I resent that accusation. I've made it very clear why I don't have a gaming computer, and my main points (costs too much, and I don't mind about the graphics) have absolutely fuck all to do with me being lazy.

(March 26, 2012 at 11:54 am)Mosrhun Wrote: Because the argument is always, "Derp it costs more" when really it doesn't.
I've done the math, believe me, it does. When I got my new job I thought to myself "now I'll be able to afford a new desktop PC", and then I started to look around at components. It would be upwards of $1,000, and that's excluding the screen / mouse / keyboard. You might be able to throw that kind of money around; most people can't.

(March 26, 2012 at 12:13 pm)Mosrhun Wrote: You can't compare the two, one is nearing 7 years old. I mean... that's fucking old.
On the contrary, comparing the two is what most of this thread has been about. 7 year old tech still works perfectly well to play video games on.
I have a laptop and a lap.
(March 26, 2012 at 12:50 pm)Tiberius Wrote: I know the GTX 680 was just released, but I am going by what is new on the market. If I want a gaming rig that will last a long time, surely it is best to go with the very latest tech?

No, because no game requires what the 680 is pumping out right now. the 580 is like 1.5 years old and will be a powerhouse for years.

Quote:Who says so? This is your demand, not mine. I care very little about graphics, since at the end of the day, I'm not going to throw down my controller shouting "THE NPCS LOOK FAKE!!!", I'm going to do it shouting "FUCKING GAME DIDN'T JUMP WHEN I TOLD IT TO!!!".

I'll go back to my point with CGi in movies. When you go to movie, it's to be immersed in the story/environment and this requires a level of realism. The same is applied to games.

Quote:Anti-aliasing is supported on most, if not all consoles.

I'm sorry but 2x AA is worthless, might as well not even have it. 16X AA blows that shit out of the water.

Quote:It does not come down to laziness, and I resent that accusation. I've made it very clear why I don't have a gaming computer, and my main points (costs too much, and I don't mind about the graphics) have absolutely fuck all to do with me being lazy.

I said laziness or lack of give a fuck. Simmer down.

Quote:On the contrary, comparing the two is what most of this thread has been about. 7 year old tech still works perfectly well to play video games on.

You can still write a letter by hand and mail it. Doesn't make it more efficient then sending a god damn email.
(March 26, 2012 at 1:00 pm)Mosrhun Wrote: No, because no game requires what the 680 is pumping out right now. the 580 is like 1.5 years old and will be a powerhouse for years.
Yes, but do you deny that the 680 will last far longer than the 580? The whole point of releasing new GPUs is so that games can add more and more stuff, knowing that computers will be able to handle it.

Quote:I'll go back to my point with CGi in movies. When you go to movie, it's to be immersed in the story/environment and this requires a level of realism. The same is applied to games.
In my opinion, more realism comes from the plot than anything else. To illustrate, the only awards the Transformers films were nominated for were graphics and sound based. I don't know about anyone else, but I got really immersed into the video game "VVVVVV", which has a fun and simple plot, with an absolutely phenomenal gameplay. It also looks like this:

[Image: wRdsd.jpg]

Quote:I'm sorry but 2x AA is worthless, might as well not even have it. 16X AA blows that shit out of the water.
I developed some Xbox games. It isn't worthless; in fact when applied correctly it makes a whole load of difference. Quit pretending to know what you are talking about; your first statement was complete bullshit, and now you are simply trying to dodge around the fact that you were wrong.

Quote:I said laziness or lack of give a fuck. Simmer down.
So now "lack of money" means "lack of giving a fuck"? Are you by any chance a Republican?

Hey look Min, reverendjeremiah, bozo, etc...I made a funny!

Quote:You can still write a letter by hand and mail it. Doesn't make it more efficient then sending a god damn email.

I never argued Xbox gaming was more efficient. It certainly is cheaper though, and for people who don't care much about graphics (i.e. me) that makes all the difference.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Building my new rig SteelCurtain 44 4034 February 17, 2016 at 6:40 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  What happens to information? Excited Penguin 22 3186 August 28, 2015 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  Computer Science and Information Technology goddamnit 16 7233 July 16, 2012 at 11:10 pm
Last Post: Colanth
  Computer Science / Information Security Pop Quiz Tiberius 5 5287 February 22, 2012 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas