Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 4, 2024, 4:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Methodist in Your Midst
RE: A Methodist in Your Midst
(March 28, 2012 at 4:36 am)Christian Wrote: Now that One King has proof the world is about to end http://atheistforums.org/thread-11884.html, I think enough has been said. Its time to open your eyes and realize that we were correct afterall.

Do you want to put money down on that? Whatever date One King sets as the end of the world will be the deciding factor. Or, if he doesn't set a date, I'll give you through the rest of the year.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(March 28, 2012 at 4:36 am)Christian Wrote: Now that One King has proof the world is about to end http://atheistforums.org/thread-11884.html, I think enough has been said. Its time to open your eyes and realize that we were correct afterall.

When such proofs are disproven, as they always have been and always shall be, it will be as certain as night following day that your ilk would have learned absolutely nothing from the failure, and will go on exactly as biblically stupid as you have hitherto been, until you die and go where you expect to find a reward as you have expected to find the end of the world, and there find absolutely nothing.

(March 28, 2012 at 8:09 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Perhaps these dreamers really NEED some sex? :S

Who doesnt.Wink Shades

Oh yeah Mrs Plumb.Undecided

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Join the club, Plumb.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Bloody hell what's this, the no sex club?
You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

(March 28, 2012 at 4:13 am)Norfolk And Chance Wrote:
(March 27, 2012 at 8:35 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: @ FNM: Faith in Jesus is still the only way to salvation.

Shouldn't you be saying "I believe Faith in Jesus yada yada yada..." rather than stating as if it is a fact?

The context was public so I didn't bother with the platitudes.

(March 28, 2012 at 6:36 am)Faith No More Wrote:
fr0d0 Wrote:@ FNM: Faith in Jesus is still the only way to salvation. The statement doesn't seem to contradict that. I very much value all ideas I can think of I've heard on the subject, including those to the contrary. It doesn't then follow that those ideas replicate salvation as I understand it. They can only ever be complimentary. I do believe it necessary for God to have a whole other methodology, but that's God acting and not us. ie our only way to him is through Jesus, but he isn't tied to that route back to us.

So, how do you explain their reluctance to state that everyone of other religions are going to hell?

I believe as they state that it's God that does the saving, not people.

"We know that judgment as to the ultimate salvation of persons from any faith community, including Christianity and Judaism, belongs to God alone"

I don't think (well I'm certain of what they mean to say) that they're saying that there are other routes to salvation. They say as much in the previous sentance. There are lots of circumstances where people don't seem to have a choice... newborns, ppl lacking brain function, where the criterior is innapliccable. I like their statement because it wakes people up to the fact that this endeavour isn't exclusive and there's not only good reason to respect other endeavours, but that it's pretty essential to your own credibility not to disregard them.
fr0d0 Wrote:I like their statement because it wakes people up to the fact that this endeavour isn't exclusive and there's not only good reason to respect other endeavours, but that it's pretty essential to your own credibility not to disregard them.

But this seems to go directly against the idea that Jesus is necessary for salvation.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I think that depends on how you read it. There's only one route that pans out. The rest don't, but their contribution isn't to be discounted, just because they don't manage to get the whole thing right. I think the confusion stems from considering two perspectives. Salvation to humans is only possible through Jesus. Salvation from Gods perspective is whatever he wants it to be.
fr0d0 Wrote:Salvation to humans is only possible through Jesus. Salvation from Gods perspective is whatever he wants it to be.

These statments seem to be contradictory since we are talking about salvation to humans from god. How can it be only possible through Jesus and whatever god wants it to be? Are you saying the only way we can earn salvation is through Jesus, but god can grant it even to those that don't have faith in Jesus?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

ROFLOL

Go take your apocalyptic death cult bullshit and blow it out your ass.