Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 9:33 am

Poll: Would you?
This poll is closed.
Yes
36.36%
4 36.36%
No
63.64%
7 63.64%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dilemma for theists!
RE: Dilemma for theists!
(April 27, 2012 at 1:25 am)C Rod Wrote: I think atheism is the vulgar quest for truth but i understand your reasoning and rationality. But after all that, i still see it as peer pressure and subjective freedom, and i think about how is it even different, how is any of different. Our lives still seem to conform in the same way. I don't see how they don't were so different all of us yet so similar. I'm writing up ideas about what would be the next evolutionary step for humans because i find it interesting and unique. I love stories that make you think and just kinda shake everything up, even if their not realistic(Matrix, i love the Matrix), they still hold what we are all, do you know what that is?

Now you are just rambling. Atheism is not a quest for truth - it is a step in that quest. And once you get to atheism from theism, you know that you are heading in the right direction. Whatever similarities we have in our lives is because we have similar brain structures which lead us to similar thought processes and similar questions. The differences come from whether we choose to look at reality for answers or to our fantasies.
A step in the vulgar quest, lol
No really, that difference is something, looking to reality for answers or to our fantasies, tell me what are you exactly looking for, what answer?
"Its not what your looking at that matters, its what you see." -Henry David Thoreau
♪Oh, I get lost in my mind Lost, I get lost I get Lost in my mind Lost in my Mind Yes, I get lost in my mind Lost, I get lost I get lost I get lost Oh, I get♪ -The Head and the Heart
"You are wise, witty and wonderful, but you spend too much time reading this sort of stuff.”- Frank Crane
(April 27, 2012 at 3:40 am)C Rod Wrote: A step in the vulgar quest, lol
No really, that difference is something, looking to reality for answers or to our fantasies, tell me what are you exactly looking for, what answer?
We are not looking for the answer. Herien lies the great divide. We are looking for the questions. We already know the answer is 42. We are looking for the patterns in the universe, the physics. The patterns are the questions and the answers come later more easily. The whole problem is you are trying to search for the meaning/answers before you even look for the question.

Brother magnet , who said i ever assumed it was God every time. I just don't. When stuff happens im usually to focused or caught up in the moment to ever think something like that. People who do are just trying to prove their faith, and i don't think you can do that, goes against the whole idea, right.
(April 27, 2012 at 3:45 am)BrotherMagnet Wrote:
We are not looking for the answer. Herien lies the great divide. We are looking for the questions. We already know the answer is 42. We are looking for the patterns in the universe, the physics. The patterns are the questions and the answers come later more easily. The whole problem is you are trying to search for the meaning/answers before you even look for the question.

I asked that because of what he proposed about reality and answers.
I like that, that's what im always doing, looking for patterns and questioning things. What questions are you asking that im not?
"Its not what your looking at that matters, its what you see." -Henry David Thoreau
♪Oh, I get lost in my mind Lost, I get lost I get Lost in my mind Lost in my Mind Yes, I get lost in my mind Lost, I get lost I get lost I get lost Oh, I get♪ -The Head and the Heart
"You are wise, witty and wonderful, but you spend too much time reading this sort of stuff.”- Frank Crane
(April 27, 2012 at 3:45 am)C Rod Wrote: Brother magnet , who said i ever assumed it was God every time. I just don't. When stuff happens im usually to focused or caught up in the moment to ever think something like that. People who do are just trying to prove their faith, and i don't think you can do that, goes against the whole idea, right.
(April 27, 2012 at 3:45 am)BrotherMagnet Wrote:

I asked that because of what he proposed about reality and answers.
I like that, that's what im always doing, looking for patterns and questioning things. What questions are you asking that im not?
The point is you have already made a gigantic leap to the one absolute answer(God) and then somehow you still go back and look for the questions which somehow always end up pointing at the answer because this is where you want it to point.
Brothermagnet Wrote:The point is you have already made a gigantic leap to the one absolute answer(God) and then somehow you still go back and look for the questions which somehow always end up pointing at the answer because this is where you want it to point.

And atheists are "vulgar"?

vul·gar   [vuhl-ger]
adjective
characterized by ignorance of or lack of good breeding or taste: vulgar ostentation.
indecent; obscene; lewd: a vulgar work; a vulgar gesture.
crude; coarse; unrefined: a vulgar peasant.
of, pertaining to, or constituting the ordinary people in a society: the vulgar masses.
current; popular; common: a vulgar success; vulgar beliefs.
spoken by, or being in the language spoken by, the people generally; vernacular: vulgar tongue.
lacking in distinction, aesthetic value, or charm; banal; ordinary: a vulgar painting.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
What questions point away from him, i really don't see much of those, since will science is mostly looking to usually make its observations and attempts toward practical means for the betterment of the human race or overwhelming storage of knowledge and understanding, it seems a waste using that energy to question something like that, i accept all the known observations of our scientists, they are scientist.
Not wanting to be deceived is the vulgar quest for truth.-Emile M. Cioran

Only someone who's worldview is based on untruths would see vulgarity in truth.

The answer I am looking for is for the quest for self-actualization.
(April 27, 2012 at 4:07 am)C Rod Wrote: What questions point away from him, i really don't see much of those, since will science is mostly looking to usually make its observations and attempts toward practical means for the betterment of the human race or overwhelming storage of knowledge and understanding, it seems a waste using that energy to question something like that, i accept all the known observations of our scientists, they are scientist.
Not wanting to be deceived is the vulgar quest for truth.-Emile M. Cioran
Once again you jump directly to your conclusion and then you state it is a waste of time to question an answer that was just made up. As Spock would say your logic is flawed.

Not in truth, but the quest, the intention, the why behind everything you are.

That need, follows the hierarchy. Do you think its possible, you know the actual actualization and even if happens, do you think you could stand outside from it and know it happened?
I lost you on that last one BrotherMagnet too many "questions" and "answers", and no actual questions and answers, im lost.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  God and the dilemma with unfalsifiability ignoramus 322 59369 October 16, 2017 at 11:07 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Questions for theists (and ex-theists, too) Longhorn 15 4982 April 23, 2015 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: orangebox21
  Here's A Dilemma Minimalist 57 11406 February 28, 2015 at 12:41 am
Last Post: ManMachine
  Theists: What makes your claims right and the claims of other theists wrong? Ryantology 29 8475 March 21, 2014 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Phatt Matt s
  The euthyphro dilemma. theVOID 38 17953 September 17, 2010 at 11:06 am
Last Post: tackattack