Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 10, 2024, 5:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
So...guess I'm the new guy
RE: So...guess I'm the new guy
Perhaps you should be more rigorous with your research when berating others? Platinga's resolution to the problem of evil was a resolution to charges of logical inconsistency by means of proposing a possible way in which god and evil could co-exist. His resolution was to the criticism of inconsistency, not the problem of evil itself. Do I get to invoke consensus now.....?

Jackass.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 30, 2012 at 4:02 pm)Vincenzo "Vinny" G. Wrote: Go google your own citations. I'm not your tutor. You ain't payin' me. I don't waste my time with people who question well-known developments.

I did google it, and could not find a reputable source that backed your claim. I did find claims that "some" and "many" philosophers consider it a closed issue, but not the "broad" consensus that you claim.

(August 30, 2012 at 4:02 pm)Vincenzo "Vinny" G. Wrote: If you're going to approach unsourced, unattributed positions with skepticism

Fixed that for you.
(August 30, 2012 at 3:43 pm)Rhythm Wrote:
(August 30, 2012 at 2:34 am)idunno Wrote: After reading around a bit, I want to make something clear. I'm not here to prove the existence of God, I'll leave that to other theists. As I stated in my response to whateverist, I'm here to clarify Christianity a when I can. If you don't like this, you can simply ignore me.

Fantastic, another one. The last time somebody opened with this line it all went downhill from there.

To be fair, there's really no other direction it can go.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(August 30, 2012 at 4:11 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Perhaps you should be more rigorous with your research when berating others? Platinga's resolution to the problem of evil was a resolution to charges of logical inconsistency by means of proposing a possible way in which god and evil could co-exist. His resolution was to the criticism of inconsistency, not the problem of evil itself. Do I get to invoke consensus now.....?

Jackass.
Finally! Some two bit poindexter who knows what a search engine looks like. I was beginning to think all you wannabes could manage was chanting mantras and spewing non sequiturs. But enough about your pitiful existence, let's point out how you are wrong.

Firstly, Plantinga's resolution defeated the logical problem of evil. The charge of inconsistency WAS the logical problem. For the simpleton, the argument can be summarized as: "Given God's properties, how can God coexist with evil?" Plantinga showed that God can coexist with evil, and thus defeated the logical problem of evil. Now the logical problem isn't the only problem of evil. There is also the probabalistic rendering of the problem. It's much weaker. It doesn't say "God doesn't exist", so much as "It's unlikely that God exists."

So yes, Rhythm managed to get something right in his dribbling stream of incoherencies: Every version of the problem of evil is not defeated. Only the logical problem of evil is. This isn't very good news, because the logical problem of evil was long considered THE problem of evil. It was also the most powerful of all PoE arguments out there. Which means we really have to shore up the evidential, or probabilistic argument to defeat Christians.

Some day I'll probably start a thread explaining the argument, how it works, and how you can use it to defeat Christians in debates.

Until then, Rhythm, go ahead and give me a foot rub.
(August 29, 2012 at 5:44 pm)Vincenzo "Vinny" G. Wrote:
(August 29, 2012 at 11:52 am)idunno Wrote: I'll keep that in mind Napoleon, thank you. Smile

Also keep in mind dat youse wrong, ya got dat?

You ain't gonna convert us! Neverrrrrrrrr!

You're a bit of a fucking tit, aren't you?
You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

I suppose this is a good place to ask about proper Netiquette here. If you were going to ignore someone, do you tell them or just do it?
(August 30, 2012 at 4:19 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(August 30, 2012 at 4:02 pm)Vincenzo "Vinny" G. Wrote: Go google your own citations. I'm not your tutor. You ain't payin' me. I don't waste my time with people who question well-known developments.

I did google it, and could not find a reputable source that backed your claim. I did find claims that "some" and "many" philosophers consider it a closed issue, but not the "broad" consensus that you claim.

(August 30, 2012 at 4:02 pm)Vincenzo "Vinny" G. Wrote: If you're going to approach unsourced, unattributed positions with skepticism

Fixed that for you.

How come your special needs amico Rhythm here managed to google it and figure out what the hell the PoE argument was and how Plantinga knocked it out, but you can't manage to get any search results? Here you go. Read up. http://www.iep.utm.edu/evil-log/

If you are confused about any complicated terms, like "theodicy", or "libertarian free will", "omnipotence", "problem", "evil", "of", just let me know. Or let rhythm, or idunno or anyone else here who is familiar with the subject, know.

But read the whole thing first. I don't wanna hear any more stupid questions from youse.
Oh, now we want to make qualifiers to our statements do we? Probably for the best, lest we end up looking like an ass.....

Argue
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 30, 2012 at 5:21 pm)idunno Wrote: I suppose this is a good place to ask about proper Netiquette here. If you were going to ignore someone, do you tell them or just do it?

It depends. Often it's rather like praying for someone; no point in doing it if you don't let everyone know about it.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(August 30, 2012 at 5:22 pm)Vincenzo "Vinny" G. Wrote: I don't wanna hear any more stupid questions from youse.

I don't want to see you using stupid slang language all the time, but each to their own.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New guy here Roykok 8 1180 November 10, 2022 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Hello again i guess? SlowCalculations 8 1025 May 31, 2019 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Alan V
  My Introduction, I guess NickPercent 18 3634 January 27, 2018 at 9:23 pm
Last Post: Antares
Bug I guess I should intro Monkeybuttorama 21 4041 May 26, 2017 at 11:24 am
Last Post: Caligvla XXI
  New guy DarkerEnergy 21 2283 January 18, 2017 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Hello, new guy here Casca 13 2204 October 14, 2016 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: brewer
  A new guy SuperSlayer 17 1973 July 2, 2016 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: Spirian
  New Guy Here. Hello. The Atheist 27 3303 March 30, 2016 at 4:50 pm
  New Guy on the Block Rebel 9 1786 October 16, 2015 at 10:01 pm
  Yeah, I'm a Pratchett nut, how'd you guess? GUBU 16 3087 September 13, 2015 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72