Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 11, 2024, 7:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Do to really believe a snake talked?!
RE: Do to really believe a snake talked?!
(November 9, 2012 at 3:56 pm)John V Wrote: You can't dismiss the point by saying "just." If existence existed eternally in the form of a singularity, there's no reason for it to one day expand.

The reason to believe that it expanded is the evidence that it did.

Existence has always existed, and the universe is expanding.
(November 9, 2012 at 4:03 pm)John V Wrote:
(November 9, 2012 at 3:58 pm)Stimbo Wrote: Unless the singularity was unstable.
An eternally existing singularity is obviously stable.

We don't know that it was eternally existing. We don't even know how long such a structure can exist. You're making assumptions about the initial conditions that nobody can claim to make with any degree of safety and running the same risks of defining your conclusion into existence as we've seen elsewhere on these boards.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Quote:You're making assumptions about the initial conditions that nobody can claim to make with any degree of safety and running the same risks of defining your conclusion into existence as we've seen elsewhere on these boards.

So rather than say "I don't know" theists say "goddidit."

Apparently, they mean the same thing.
(November 9, 2012 at 4:04 pm)DoubtVsFaith Wrote: The reason to believe that it expanded is the evidence that it did.
No Shit, Sherlock.
Quote:Existence has always existed,
Your sophistry notwithstanding, the evidence and logic suggest otherwise.
(November 9, 2012 at 4:16 pm)Minimalist Wrote: So rather than say "I don't know" theists say "goddidit."

Apparently, they mean the same thing.

Exactly. They start off by saying "we don't know" then without drawing breath, go on to say "therefore we know". it's all downhill from there.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(November 9, 2012 at 4:15 pm)Stimbo Wrote: We don't know that it was eternally existing.
I know.
Quote:We don't even know how long such a structure can exist.
I agree.
Quote:You're making assumptions about the initial conditions that nobody can claim to make with any degree of safety
I'm not making assumptions and arguing a single scenario, I'm considering alternative scenarios, as I agree that we don't know.
Fair enough, but then you can't safely postulate that the singularity was eternal and/or stable. Just because nobody can (yet) lay claim to knowledge of the initial conditions and how they pertain to what followed, doesn't mean that everything goes and every opinion is equally as valid as every other.
(November 9, 2012 at 4:18 pm)John V Wrote:
DoubtVsFaith Wrote:Existence has always existed,
Your sophistry notwithstanding, the evidence and logic suggest otherwise.

I'm sorry but the tautological logic actually dictates the opposite.

It dictates that existence is never non-existent, and it is always existent. Just as bachelors are never married, and they are always unmarried. Something is always something and it is never nothing.

Unless you completely redefine the meaning of "non-existence" or "nothing" to mean something other than the complete absence of "existence" or "something". But that would be like redefining "bachelor" so that it can include some people who are actually married... But in that case I have to then ask: "What are you talking about?".

As for your accusation of my "sophistry", that which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
(November 9, 2012 at 4:29 pm)Stimbo Wrote: Fair enough, but then you can't safely postulate that the singularity was eternal and/or stable.
That the singularity was eternal is one of the possible alternatives being considered. It follows by definition that something which eternally existed in one form was stable.
Quote:Just because nobody can (yet) lay claim to knowledge of the initial conditions and how they pertain to what followed, doesn't mean that everything goes and every opinion is equally as valid as every other.
I agree, but that seems to be the view of some of my opponents.
Anyone particular in mind? Maybe I missed it but as far as I can see your 'opponents' seem to be taking the scientific line as dictated by the available evidence.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 8046 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Theology of Atheism: Do the clergy/theologians really believe? SenpaiNoticeMeYouBlindShmuck 6 2738 September 21, 2016 at 1:16 am
Last Post: Aractus
Question Why disbelievers believe? They believe in so called “God of the gaps”. theBorg 49 8699 August 27, 2016 at 12:25 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
Video I Talked to Allah Mental Outlaw 18 4080 March 11, 2015 at 10:00 pm
Last Post: psychoslice
  Do they really believe it? FreeTony 5 1447 February 14, 2014 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  do religious people really believe? paulpablo 67 21209 March 4, 2013 at 3:26 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  Snake handler dies at 44 Jackalope 20 9303 June 5, 2012 at 11:01 am
Last Post: Whateverist