Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 4:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ok I admit it
RE: Ok I admit it
(March 4, 2014 at 2:45 pm)Mr. Moncrieff Wrote: So you have a faith because you may as well?

Become a Jedi then. It's still a crock of shite.
What?!?!

At least Jedis can harness and demonstrate their faith empirically!
Tongue
(March 4, 2014 at 2:44 pm)JesusLover1 Wrote: I just don't get it, why even be an atheist? I mean, what is positive about being an atheist over just having a faith?

I can't be anything other than an atheist because I don't believe in god.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(March 4, 2014 at 2:44 pm)JesusLover1 Wrote: I just don't get it, why even be an atheist? I mean, what is positive about being an atheist over just having a faith?

Well, you have a healthier respect for truth, for one. You aren't wasting your time in church or in deference to a god that doesn't exist. You aren't wasting your money on tithing, your self respect on worshiping a monster out of fear, your peace of mind in being afraid....

I don't think those things are to be sniffed at, and that's just off the top of my head.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(March 4, 2014 at 2:48 pm)Esquilax Wrote:

Well, you have a healthier respect for truth, for one. You aren't wasting your time in church or in deference to a god that doesn't exist. You aren't wasting your money on tithing, your self respect on worshiping a monster out of fear, your peace of mind in being afraid....

I don't think those things are to be sniffed at, and that's just off the top of my head.

Well you could do all those things and just be an agnostic.

We actually care whether our beliefs are true, or likely to be true.

I want my internal mental image of reality to map as close to reality as possible. Basing one's beliefs on evidence and reasoned argument is the single best way to achieve that goal.

If you don't care whether your beliefs are true, then base them on faith. But faith is not a path to truth.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(March 4, 2014 at 2:46 pm)JesusLover1 Wrote:
(March 4, 2014 at 2:46 pm)Tonus Wrote: It's like having free will without the bloodthirsty asshole hanging over your shoulder.

But God is love.

But unfortunately, adherents are cunts.
[Image: atheist_zpsbed2d91b.png]
(March 4, 2014 at 2:48 pm)JesusLover1 Wrote:
(March 4, 2014 at 2:48 pm)Esquilax Wrote: Well, you have a healthier respect for truth, for one. You aren't wasting your time in church or in deference to a god that doesn't exist. You aren't wasting your money on tithing, your self respect on worshiping a monster out of fear, your peace of mind in being afraid....

Well you could do all those things and just be an agnostic.
And....
Que the whole "atheism and agnosticism" aren't the same category speech.
Wink
(March 4, 2014 at 2:49 pm)Mr. Moncrieff Wrote:
(March 4, 2014 at 2:46 pm)JesusLover1 Wrote: But God is love.

But unfortunately, adherents are cunts.

When I told my mom I doubted what to believe about God she told me "Just remember that Jesus loves you".
(March 4, 2014 at 2:11 pm)JesusLover1 Wrote:
(March 4, 2014 at 2:08 pm)Esquilax Wrote: So she says, but the human memory isn't as accurate as you might think. Our memories inflate in importance, warp to fit the narrative we want to be true, and are just generally tainted by our perception. Embellishments just happen, dude: what might have been a flash in the corner of the eye becomes a clear, eye contact visualization over repeated tellings of the story.

You need to let go of this idea that human experience is perfect or always worthy of attention. It's just not; we have entire fields of study dedicated to refining our own personal experiences down to just the facts.

She is absolutely, 100% certain she clearly saw him for more than just a faint glance of an eye. She is as certain as possible, it wasn't just a vague thing she only faintly saw.

That certainly doesn't in any way, shape, or form refute what Esquilax said.
(March 4, 2014 at 2:50 pm)JesusLover1 Wrote: When I told my mom I doubted what to believe about God she told me "Just remember that Jesus loves you".

Hispanic Gardener?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.