Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 26, 2024, 5:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abiogenesis is impossible
RE: Abiogenesis is impossible
'Science is the process of finding out how "God" did it.'

Congratulations - that is the single dumbest thing I've read this year. And I've read some dumb shit, believe me.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(September 17, 2014 at 8:42 pm)snowtracks Wrote: “The universe was framed by God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.” that means no space, time, matter, and energy. --- it's called creation ex nihilo (latin for “creation from nothing”).

So magic, then?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(September 17, 2014 at 8:42 pm)snowtracks Wrote: “The universe was framed by God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.” that means no space, time, matter, and energy. --- it's called creation ex nihilo (latin for “creation from nothing”).
So then, something can come from nothing?

But, yet, they argue that the universe couldn't have come from nothing, so God must have created it....
Thinking

I'm getting confused, which way is it you guys lean?
(September 17, 2014 at 8:47 pm)Stimbo Wrote:

So magic, then?

'magic' connotes deception, 'then' that's the wrong word. we know that the random universe generator or whatever your ilk believes in didn't do it because beings have the potential capability to reflect back upon it, but it has no capability to reflect on us. the mind has an infinite order of magnitude greater than matter. matter cannot generate mind.
Atheist Credo: An universe by chance that also just happened to admit the observer by chance.
(September 17, 2014 at 10:42 pm)snowtracks Wrote:
(September 17, 2014 at 8:47 pm)Stimbo Wrote: So magic, then?

'magic' connotes deception, 'then' that's the wrong word. we know that the random universe generator or whatever your ilk believes in didn't do it because beings have the potential capability to reflect back upon it, but it has no capability to reflect on us. the mind has an infinite order of magnitude greater than matter. matter cannot generate mind.

Says whom?
[Image: thfrog.gif]

(September 17, 2014 at 10:42 pm)snowtracks Wrote:
(September 17, 2014 at 8:47 pm)Stimbo Wrote: So magic, then?

"your ilk"

Charming . . .
Dying to live, living to die.
(September 17, 2014 at 10:42 pm)snowtracks Wrote: 'magic' connotes deception,

Not necessarily, but that depends on how you're defining 'magic'. Shall I swap it for 'Miracle'? Does that make more sense?

See, you run into trouble when you can replace one undefined word with another undefined word and have no change in the sense of the argument.

(September 17, 2014 at 10:42 pm)snowtracks Wrote: 'then' that's the wrong word.

Frivolous and fatuous. It's my word of choice, for structural purposes.

(September 17, 2014 at 10:42 pm)snowtracks Wrote: we know that the random universe generator or whatever your ilk believes in didn't do it because beings have the potential capability to reflect back upon it, but it has no capability to reflect on us.

My ilk? My ilk? I'm tempted to lose my cool and call you an arrogant arsehole, but I prophesy that's exactly what you want. So I won't.

Who says that I or my "ilk" believes in this thing which you're mocking? Regardless, how do we "know" what you're asserting? Please share a peer-reviewed article supporting it.

(September 17, 2014 at 10:42 pm)snowtracks Wrote: the mind has an infinite order of magnitude greater than matter. matter cannot generate mind.

Try removing your brain, drop it into a blender, then get back to us with the evidence that your mind is unaffected.

(I leave all the low-hanging fruit for others to pick.)
(September 17, 2014 at 10:45 pm)Sejanus Wrote: Says whom?

Says who. 'Whom' is the object of the sentence, having something done to it. 'Who' is the subject; the thing doing the something.
(September 17, 2014 at 10:55 pm)Stimbo Wrote:
(September 17, 2014 at 10:42 pm)snowtracks Wrote: the mind has an infinite order of magnitude greater than matter. matter cannot generate mind.

Try removing your brain, drop it into a blender, then get back to us with the evidence that your mind is unaffected.
Assuming it actually makes a difference.....
Fruit number one down, ladies and gents! Hurry while stocks last!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Impossible to love a monster Foxaèr 18 2062 April 6, 2018 at 8:10 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Oklahoma Republican wants to make secular marriage impossible. Esquilax 82 22106 February 6, 2015 at 3:42 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Christianity almost impossible without indoctrination FreeTony 118 32956 February 17, 2014 at 11:44 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Hell is theologically impossible if God is omnipotent. Greatest I am 104 47198 January 14, 2012 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: reverendjeremiah
  Adam and Eve impossible searchingforanswers 70 46437 September 9, 2011 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: Justtristo
  The Bodily Resurrection of Christ was Impossible bjhulk 3 4585 February 8, 2011 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Argument for atheism from impossible actions Captain Scarlet 16 7542 September 1, 2010 at 11:59 pm
Last Post: everythingafter