Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adam and Eve impossible
Adam and Eve impossible
So I showed this article to my class. http://www.npr.org/2011/08/09/138957812/...am-and-eve

and you know what the response was? "We trust God more than scientists. Whatever he says is true!"
Banging Head On Desk
If I die and god is real, im so screwed.
RE: Adam and Eve impossible
I don't like the name of this thread... I already new that it was impossible Tongue

I like how smart the christians are. It is refreshing -_-
Cunt
Some types of stupid you will never overcome, no matter how much evidence you have.

Nice article BTW
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(September 2, 2011 at 7:35 am)searchingforanswers Wrote: So I showed this article to my class. http://www.npr.org/2011/08/09/138957812/...am-and-eve

and you know what the response was? "We trust God more than scientists. Whatever he says is true!"
Banging Head On Desk

Search,
Your classmates have the right to their own opinion of what you present them, even though it's frustrating. Are you trying to convert them to your own way of thinking or are you asking them to help you believe? They see things so differently from you, I can imagine they may have some pity for you, which is insulting, because you simply have a mind to question before accepting a belief, while some of them have decided to believe and then question. Hopefully they don't treat you differently.

I started reading the article myself and I stopped because I too have questioned and wondered how so many people could come from two people. I have all kinds of theories behind it, but I don't let them stop me from believing. The entire Bible is dedicated to following the line of Jesus Christ and the history of his chosen people, the Jews. The most convincing bit of proof that the Bible has established grounds for truth is the fact that the Jews are still around and still follow the books of Law. The descendents of Ishmael are still fighting with the descendents of Isaac, which is a prophesy in Genesis. Though science has bones, tests, and theories, they have no monkeys in the process of becoming human to prove the theory is correct, and they seem to have no way of explaining why apes of all kinds have not continued to evolve into humans. Don't give me the "it takes thousands of years" excuse, because if that was the case, they should be finding things all over the places of creatures in all stages of development.
"And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him." Hebrews 11:6
(September 2, 2011 at 9:52 am)salty Wrote: I started reading the article myself and I stopped because I too have questioned and wondered how so many people could come from two people.

Also the problem with there being just two is that their kids will have to mate. Imagine that, brother on sister (or the other way round, depending who prefers to be dominant).
This is in fact inbreeding, which causes genetic disorders. Fatal for the species. You may live and your kids but the genetic faults will prove fatal.

Animals aren't allowed to mate in zoos if they are directly related to each other. Inbreeding. So yeah, there are some faults with the only two people thing. The whole tree of knowledge thing has even more faults with it. Like why would a god put a forbidden tree in Eve in the first place. Also why add a talking snake into the mix? Yet god blames Adam and Eve when they eat from the tree which he put there, and listened to the snake which he also put there and then punished them even though they didn't know any better. Seems like god set the whole thing up. The situation was rigged. It's like putting a very dangerous power tool in your toddlers bedroom then blaming and punishing the toddler for touching it. You as the parent should know better. Same goes to god.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
(September 2, 2011 at 9:52 am)salty Wrote: Though science has bones, tests, and theories, they have no monkeys in the process of becoming human to prove the theory is correct, and they seem to have no way of explaining why apes of all kinds have not continued to evolve into humans. Don't give me the "it takes thousands of years" excuse, because if that was the case, they should be finding things all over the places of creatures in all stages of development.
The theory of evolution doesn't say that monkeys are in the process of becoming human, so it isn't surprising that we don't find them. Evolution isn't a single path from bacteria to human; ducks aren't "less evolved" than humans, or any other animal.

In Evolution, there are no goals; humanity isn't the "best evolved" on the planet, nor are all other animals evolving into humans.

I think if you want to understand Evolution more, you should read a book on the subject. There are many that people here could recommend to you.
(September 2, 2011 at 7:35 am)searchingforanswers Wrote: So I showed this article to my class. http://www.npr.org/2011/08/09/138957812/...am-and-eve

Banging Head On Desk

It's very difficult to overcome indoctrination that has been in effect since a person could talk. I was in my early-mid 20s before I started to think that religion and the notion of an all-powerful deity were bullshit. And my family wasn't very religious! Good luck trying to convince kids from extremely religious families that what they've been taught to believe may not be true. Hopefully, you planted a seed that might cause some of them to question their beliefs at some point down the road.
Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?
Tired of the whole "convert to your way of thinking" line. Try, convert to thinking in line with facts. Not so subtle difference. Theres no shame in calling portions of a bronze age myth bullshit. It's not like they knew any better. Is christianity supposed to be a fossil, or are you supposed to be attempting to know god? Postulating all manner of superstition isn't exactly showing respect to what must be His creation. Would it be so hard to to say that some portions of the bible are obviously incorrect, but the idea of god may have some merit?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Quote:and you know what the response was? "We trust God more than scientists. Whatever he says is true!"

What did you expect from a roomful of morons?
(September 2, 2011 at 10:03 am)Ace Otana Wrote:
(September 2, 2011 at 9:52 am)salty Wrote: I started reading the article myself and I stopped because I too have questioned and wondered how so many people could come from two people.

Also the problem with there being just two is that their kids will have to mate. Imagine that, brother on sister (or the other way round, depending who prefers to be dominant).
This is in fact inbreeding, which causes genetic disorders. Fatal for the species. You may live and your kids but the genetic faults will prove fatal.

Animals aren't allowed to mate in zoos if they are directly related to each other. Inbreeding. So yeah, there are some faults with the only two people thing. The whole tree of knowledge thing has even more faults with it. Like why would a god put a forbidden tree in Eve in the first place. Also why add a talking snake into the mix? Yet god blames Adam and Eve when they eat from the tree which he put there, and listened to the snake which he also put there and then punished them even though they didn't know any better. Seems like god set the whole thing up. The situation was rigged. It's like putting a very dangerous power tool in your toddlers bedroom then blaming and punishing the toddler for touching it. You as the parent should know better. Same goes to god.

If they didn't have the tree, they would be forced to obey God for all time never choosing God. That's not real love, that's slavery. If God wanted slaves he would have made the angels with no will to decide if they wanted to rebel and he wouldn't have created Lucifer, since he knew that Lucifer would be the one to compel the others.

It's like an old fashioned arranged marriage, your spouse is chosen by your parents, no good times and bad times with a boyfriend or girlfriend, no chance to be dedicated to someone because you want to, no Notebook love, no P.S. I Love You situation. You would be handed your destiny with no arguments. Who wants that?

With the tree and the commandment not to eat the fruit, humans were given a choice. Obey the commandment and resist the fruit or disobey the commandment and indulge. God is all knowing, therefore he was aware that they would disobey and he already had a plan to redeem humankind, which he declared in Genesis.

It's confusing to think of Adam & Eve giving birth to so many children, and incest, etc happening. Cain married someone from another land so I'm really unsure where some of the people that were around came from, but that missing information is not enough for me to doubt the existence of God, it's not enough for me to doubt the Bible either, it's just something that God will help me understand later, as well as the reason for the creation of the centipede.
"And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him." Hebrews 11:6

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Adam & Eve T.J. 4 1063 November 6, 2021 at 11:49 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The Adam & Eve Myth - Origins Gwaithmir 125 13615 July 13, 2019 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Impossible to love a monster Foxaèr 18 2001 April 6, 2018 at 8:10 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Christians Make Me Sick ~ Eve th Nice Ones Rhondazvous 16 3273 May 17, 2016 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Why the whole Adam and Eve Fall story makes no sense 1994Californication 237 36832 April 3, 2016 at 10:05 am
Last Post: FebruaryOfReason
  Abiogenesis is impossible SavedByGraceThruFaith 1615 364672 May 2, 2015 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: nihilistcat
  Did Yahweh Set Adam Up? Rhondazvous 123 19430 May 2, 2015 at 9:05 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Adam and Eve's IQ Brakeman 61 11086 April 25, 2015 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Oklahoma Republican wants to make secular marriage impossible. Esquilax 82 21741 February 6, 2015 at 3:42 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Why was Adam exempt from the transgression when the transgression was disobedience? Greatest I am 82 17019 September 28, 2014 at 4:44 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am