Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 8, 2024, 4:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On the nature of evidence.
RE: On the nature of evidence.
(October 26, 2014 at 3:10 am)genkaus Wrote:
(October 26, 2014 at 2:20 am)trmof Wrote: I never claimed him to be immaterial.

That makes your job even easier - if he is material, get his picture.

(October 26, 2014 at 2:26 am)trmof Wrote: What you do next is irrelevant to the discussion.

You mean your next idea about inquiry regarding evidence of god's is irrelevant to this discussion?

(October 26, 2014 at 2:26 am)trmof Wrote: Groups of people all around the world report instances of miracles all the time.

Did you miss the part about leaving tangible, verifiable evidence?

(October 26, 2014 at 2:48 am)trmof Wrote: I've already responded to your points in other comments. If you have nothing further it would appear we are at an impasse.

There is no impasse - you have been proven wrong and all you have to offer are shoddy rationalizations.

(October 26, 2014 at 2:48 am)trmof Wrote: I have specifically asked several times how one would go about testing for the existence of God scientifically and have received no answer. If that's your standard of proof that's your prerogative. It is not shared by me or most people.

Actually, you have received many answers. Like proving the OT miracles. Or immaterial intelligence. Your problem is that you know your hypothetical god would fail any such scientific test which is why you want to posit him as unscientific to begin with.

I have not received any answers. How would one go about testing the validity of the Old Testaments miracles? What would your hypothesis be and how would you go about gathering data for it? What does immaterial evidence have to do with an explicitly material God? Furthermore, why have you decided to resort to the immature debate tactic of exasperatedly declaring victory without actually answering my previous question?
What would Micky Mouse have to do to convince me he is real ?, ...the same thing.
(October 26, 2014 at 3:55 am)trmof Wrote: How would one go about testing the validity of the Old Testaments miracles?

One would start by showing such events actually happening - like the sun actually going back.

(October 26, 2014 at 3:55 am)trmof Wrote: What would your hypothesis be and how would you go about gathering data for it?

Hypothesis and data gathering would come after those events are established as factual.

(October 26, 2014 at 3:55 am)trmof Wrote: What does immaterial evidence have to do with an explicitly material God?

Nothing - which is why I'm asking for material evidence.

(October 26, 2014 at 3:55 am)trmof Wrote: Furthermore, why have you decided to resort to the immature debate tactic of exasperatedly declaring victory without actually answering my previous question?

Because your questions have been answered and your failure to understand your loss is not an obstacle to my declaring victory.
(October 26, 2014 at 2:48 am)trmof Wrote:
(October 26, 2014 at 2:29 am)bennyboy Wrote: I'll save you the time of posting-- the wonderful feelings and deep sense of connection you have are all emotions, and you do not have any more reason to believe in your God than Hindus do in theirs, or the dog-talking serial killer in his.

I'm glad you're so open minded. I'll save you the time responding and point out that this is sarcasm.
No. It really is not sarcasm. I believe you DO have wonderful feelings and a deep sense of connection, and that you interpret these as a direct experience of Godhood. And I really do want to know what is so special about your personal life experience that makes your feelings a more valid source of truth than those of Hindus or dog-talking serial killers. See, that's why non-believers want physical evidence-- because even a Hindu or a dog-talking serial killer has to refer to things the rest of us can experience in terms to validate his own conclusions. And so do you. Or, if you cannot, you must explain why the inferences YOU draw from your religious experiences are more valid than the inferences others draw, which differ greatly from yours.
(October 25, 2014 at 3:50 pm)trmof Wrote: I would like to know what the atheists on this forum WOULD consider to be persuasive evidence of God's existence. If you are interested in scientific evidence of the existence of God, how would one go about acquiring this evidence?

First define your god in a way that is testable and verifiable, then produce evidence to support the claim.

Quote:Assuming God is a personality and not just a force of nature, it would seem that it would be impossible to scientifically test for the existence of his personality and it's characteristics; just as it is impossible at the moment to come up with a functioning theory of another human's personality other than "It does what it does when it does it, and sometimes it doesn't." It's theoretically possible that if you had all the information in the universe available to you, you would be able to predict another person's behavior accurately. But given that this is currently unfeasable, it would seem to me that experiential and testimonial evidence are the only two avenues through which we could currently examine the possible existence of God.

Oh I see, you have nothing that we would class as evidence so you want us to alter the definition of evidence so believing in god wont seem so stupid.

Quote:what could a God do that would personally convince you of it's existence? I presume for most of you that if he started talking to you
personally, you would simply assume that this was mental illness.

Correct. How come you don't think this? it is the most logical conclusion.

Quote: So if a God with a personality WERE to exist, setting the standard of evidence this high would be putting him in a position where it's impossible for him communicate with you in any way whatsoever.

So how would you know delusion from reality with no actual evidence?
I guess you would just "feel" what was right yeah, just like all the other faiths have done.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

@trmof It seems you completely overlooked or misunderstood what I tried telling you earlier.
- An unverifiable circumstance cannot be considered "evidence" if it can be interpreted as anything or everything, and we cannot assume it to be God when far more understandable naturalistic explanations are present.
- Furthermore evidence has to be presentable and verifiable by anybody who wishes to do so. Personal evidence/experience, as you said yourself, cannot be proven so it is pointless.

You constantly claimed the we are setting the standards too high, that may be so for your god concept, but we set the standards based on the definition of god that we have been presented with. So as you've been asked many times, define the standards, and what your god can and cannot do. If his capabilities are limited to only what YOU can do, then there's no reason to suppose he has any existence outside of your mind. If he can do something more, define that and we can move on to verify that.

You also claimed he is able to talk to you, but have constantly failed to prove that is the case, as you haven't shown any bit of supernatural wisdom in the slightest. Also is talking in a person's head the only quality he has? Because that power is attributed to any and all supernatural forces, including the devil and all of the other pagan gods, and science has shown it to be just a mental disorder in multitudes of cases presented before it.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(October 26, 2014 at 2:48 am)trmof Wrote: I have specifically asked several times how one would go about testing for the existence of God scientifically and have received no answer. If that's your standard of proof that's your prerogative. It is not shared by me or most people.

Sorry, but I'm calling bullshit on this one. Several of us, myself included, have asked repeatedly and specifically for you to give us something about the nature of your god that we can examine. Each time you've dodged around with "that’s not what my god is", constantly moving your god out of the spotlight so it cannot be tested. Worse, you've tried to shut down discussion of these things every time someone's tried to respond to you. That's not going to engender much confidence in any evidence you think you have outside of concluding you don't have any. At least, none that you feel would stand up to scrutiny.

You spoke of miracle claims; fine, let's examine those. Give us some of the miracles that you feel best support the existence of a god and why you think that.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(October 25, 2014 at 3:50 pm)trmof Wrote: I would like to know what the atheists on this forum WOULD consider to be persuasive evidence of God's existence. If you are interested in scientific evidence of the existence of God, how would one go about acquiring this evidence?
Christianity is a faith. It cannot be proved, most Christians would acknowledge that.

Evidence? Well where's the evidence that humans are special? We evolved, and we even cross-bread with Neanderthals (about 2% of our DNA comes from that species). If we're such a unique and special species, what business did we have cross-breeding with another??
Quote:So what could a God do that would personally convince you of it's existence?
Supposedly he spoke to Moses on Mt. Sinai.

He could start by speaking to people, then they might listen.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
This guy is as full of shit as the rest of them. He is only trying to conceal the stench through pseudo-philosophical argument. I say pseudo-philosophical because he has no problem making excuses for the fallacies that are demonstrated rather than correcting his reasoning. My favorite is when he employed a strict Cartesian skepticism to assert that anything imagined is just as real as knowledge that can be demonstrated.

The OP creating a thread asking what evidence would be required for belief only to then prescribe the A/S/K-"burning bosom" method of ascertaining knowledge of god is fucking hilarious. The OP is to philosophy what Deepak Chopra is to physics.

There's also the matter where ideas for demonstration of god are dismissed because god may not want to participate or we're not worthy. Either way, the OP seems consistent in maintaining that god is not testable which makes me wonder what the purpose of this thread is other than to annoy people. Part of this has to do with the OP's reluctance to define the qualities of the god to be tested; I believe he used words to the effect "that's not the purpose of the thread". See pseudo-philosophical and Chopra comparison above.

To answer the OP, this is what would do it for me:
God could simultaneously hijack all forms of communication to proclaim that at midnight (GMT) tomorrow, he will restore all amputated limbs with full functionality. Of course this doesn't resolve which god is performing what amounts to a simple parlor trick so it would also serve him well to be specific about which book and set of rules we are to live by afterwards. This won't happen because god doesn't exist, but I'm sure as with other attempts to answer the original question it will be passed off due to god's disinterest or some other 'mysterious ways' excuse.

As I eluded to before, same ole shit.
(October 26, 2014 at 2:48 am)trmof Wrote: You have serious trouble not letting others have the last word, even when you are forced to repeat your previous assertions ad naseum. This is indicative of poor social skills. Feel free to leave another comment without reiterating points you've previously made, and I'll be more than happy to stop pointing out your personal flaws in a public forum.
ROFLOL

Good luck with your time here. Judging by your posts thus far, you'll need it.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video Neurosurgeon Provides Evidence Against Materialism Guard of Guardians 41 4711 June 17, 2019 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12580 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Testimony is Evidence RoadRunner79 588 121033 September 13, 2017 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  The Nature Of Truth WisdomOfTheTrees 5 1101 February 21, 2017 at 5:30 am
Last Post: Sal
  The Dogma of Human Nature WisdomOfTheTrees 15 2665 February 8, 2017 at 7:40 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees
  Is the statement "Claims demand evidence" always true? Mudhammam 268 34004 February 3, 2017 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees
  Anecdotal Evidence RoadRunner79 395 55862 December 14, 2016 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  What philosophical evidence is there against believing in non-physical entities? joseph_ 150 13049 September 3, 2016 at 11:26 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  The nature of evidence Wryetui 150 15849 May 6, 2016 at 6:21 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Witness Evidence RoadRunner79 248 37698 December 17, 2015 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: bennyboy