Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 27, 2024, 12:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism is unreasonable
RE: Atheism is unreasonable
Valiant efforts for the most part. It becomes tiresome.. and boring to hear such willful ignorance and misunderstanding again and again. It's not about the proof or disproof of god, it's more scratching the itch of being the center of attention. These trolls are quite similar to one another. It's interesting to see the difference in variety of the atheists arguments and yet this credulous fool continues the same old pitiable (used to be, anyway) tradition. Nothing new here. Typical waste of time. Isn't there a better thread where I might actually learn something new? In his mind, he wins because he has your attention-- Much the same as a train wreck.... I know most of you understand all of this. I just thought I would say it if only for my own satisfaction.

I'm new to this forum and look forward to being a member. Thanks for letting me join up.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God? - Epicurus
(November 3, 2014 at 10:27 am)raincrow Wrote: Valiant efforts for the most part. It becomes tiresome.. and boring to hear such willful ignorance and misunderstanding again and again. It's not about the proof or disproof of god, it's more scratching the itch of being the center of attention. These trolls are quite similar to one another. It's interesting to see the difference in variety of the atheists arguments and yet this credulous fool continues the same old pitiable (used to be, anyway) tradition. Nothing new here. Typical waste of time. Isn't there a better thread where I might actually learn something new? In his mind, he wins because he has your attention--
Hey.... we like our chew toys...
If you don't, then leave them for those who do!
It is a pity we had so many of them this week.... we probably won't have as many for christmas... Sad
(November 3, 2014 at 3:14 am)His_Majesty Wrote: I find it absolutely AMAZING that you are telling me how it happened, yet you can't go in a lab and demonstrate it lol. And then you say "simply" as if it was no big thing. "Ahhh, it just sort of, happened, plain and simple".

If everything is as simple as you put it, go in a freakin lab and demonstrate it. Can you? No, you can't...so it must not be that simple now, is it?

No, it isn't that simple. I'm just trying to explain it to a simpleton is all.

BTW, I love the double standard of requiring demonstration of abiogenesis in a lab all while you cling to your religion that isn't able to demonstrate one iota of credible evidence.

(November 3, 2014 at 3:14 am)His_Majesty Wrote: Yeah, it is reasonable to believe that inanimate matter came to life and begin talking and thinking. Alice in Wonderland doesn't have anything on atheism.

That's actually naturalism, which despite the rumors, is not a prerequisite for atheism. The funny thing is, you're actually a naturalist for 99.9% of your life. I don't imagine that when your car breaks down on the highway that you start looking for invisible spirits or pray that it will fix itself. You just want to deny rules you use on a daily basis for one instance in order to maintain a comforting belief.

So, given naturalism is a highly functional view and no non-naturalistic argument cuts the mustard, it is the rational view to have.

That's all I've time to respond to right now.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(November 3, 2014 at 3:30 am)His_Majesty Wrote:
(November 3, 2014 at 3:19 am)whateverist Wrote: If the latter, then don't you attribute to god the very idea you find so unimaginable? If god can create life from the same periodic table as everything else is composed then apparently inorganic components actually do support life, don't they?

I don't understand.

I'm just saying all life is composed of materials found on the periodic table .. the same one which contains the materials found in non living materials.

So I'm saying obviously nonliving materials do support life. You won't find anything other than those materials making up every living thing on the planet including you.

Why then is it so hard for you to understand that over billions of year inorganic molecules formed organic molecules which became self replicating. Biochemistry is a branch of chemistry, not something else altogether.
Majesty,
You're a typical Christian windbag. Your contribution here is nothing but wishful thinking supported by arguments from ignorance. You come across as if we've never seen this routine before.

If you want to prove atheism unreasonable all you have to do is produce a god, but you can't do that can you? There is no evidence for any god. All you have are baseless assertions. You can disagree all you want, but to claim atheism to be unreasonable given the dearth of evidence for the counter position is simply fucking stupid.
(November 2, 2014 at 1:16 pm)His_Majesty Wrote: I just don't have enough faith to be an atheist.

And I have a not suffered the intellectual lobotomy required to be a theist.

Lobotomy sir?

No thanks. I'm good.
Oh, is this guy still at it?

(November 3, 2014 at 5:34 am)His_Majesty Wrote: Please tell me one cosmologist that doesn't believe that our universe, the one that we live in, began to exist at some point in the finite past. I will wait.

Our current universe beginning to exist is not the same thing as reality itself beginning to exist. You sit here airily telling me to speak with cosmologists as though you've done so yourself, but we both know that you haven't; most of them will tell you that our ability to describe what happens just before the Planck time is non-existent.

Oh! And as it happens, I can tell you of three cosmologists that don't believe the universe began in the finite past; just look at the Borde-Guth-Villenkin theorem. It's a favorite of William Lane Craig, when he trots out the same tired Kalam nonsense that you have, only two of the three scientists who wrote the paper came out to correct him, saying that actually no, their work does not say that the universe began in the finite past. They're on record as saying that, on video in Guth's case, but you know what WLC did? The same thing you do: when it suited him, he just waved the science off, the same science he was directly quoting a moment ago, as though it meant nothing. "That's just their opinion!" He crowed.

Interesting little insight into the true dishonesty of theist argumentation, there.

Quote:Well, you were the one that made it seem as if you were so familiar with the argument when you briefly "rebutted" my 6 arguments. I thought you were at least somewhat familiar with the arguments against infinity so I would be spared of having to get full in depth with it.

Hey, if you're going to claim something then make sure the claim you're making is accurate. If you're going to say Kalam adequately explains why infinity is impossible, then how the fuck am I supposed to know that you wanted to say something different? I'm not a mind reader.

Quote:But anyway, the arguments against infinity is more geared towards the second premise of the argument, which is "The universe began to exist". It is basically saying that if God doesn't exist and there was no "first cause", then the beginning of our universe was just one event on a past eternal time scale. But this can't be true, if it was true, then infinity would be traversed. But infinity can't be traversed.

Oh fuck, I'm going to have to deal with this nonsense again... Facepalm

Quote:Analogy: Your birth was an event in time. If there was an infinite number of births which PRECEDED yours, the event of your birth would never come to pass, because for ever birth in the past, an event number of births would have preceded it, so your birth would never come to pass.

You don't know how time works, if you're saying that. An infinite number of events does not render an individual event within that time frame impossible. It just means that there was an infinite number of prior events of the same type, and an infinite number of future events of the same type. In a causal infinity, time would still be moving forward, and you'd still have one day following the next; my birth as an event in time would just have happened on one of those days, of an infinite set of days. You could only assert that my birth would never happen if you continually define my birth as one happening in the future, pushed back one birth further by each incoming birth, rather than just keeping my position stable in the sequence wherever it may be, which is what it would literally be. In an infinite set, things still happen. We have an infinite number of numbers, but by some magical coincidence I'm still able to count from one to two.

Quote:The same thing with the universe, the universe would be a product of an infinite regression of "causes", and no effect from these causes could come to pass for the same reason your birth would never come to pass.

A timeless cause is needed...a timeless cause that wasn't a product of preceded "cause"...a cause that doesn't depend on anything external for it to exist. "God" is the only being that is capable of this.

However, all this talk of infinity is pointless anyway, since nobody is asserting infinity. There could be any number of potential causal setups beyond the big bang, there's no reason to assume anything about it. Like I said, it's a literal unknown for everyone, our vocabulary isn't equipped to deal with it. Maybe it was a mirror universe before, where time runs backwards! It goes from heat death right back to singularity, and then time begins to run forward again, and it goes from singularity to heat death in a big cycle. Who knows? Not I, not you, not anyone!

So you have no justification for making up whatever answer you feel best leads to your presupposed conclusion, then, do you?

Quote:And Im sorry, there is no cosmologist or no mathematician that can help you with this infinity problem.

Borde, Guth, and Villenkin. And incidentally, no cosmologist has come to the god conclusion either. You really need to stop thinking of christianity as the default answer in the absence of any other, because it's really, really not.

Quote:Tell you what...I want you do consult any physicist that can help you with the infinity problem. The infinity problem is independent of any bogus scientific experiment or any latest bogus theory or development in science.

The infinity problem is one of your own making. It doesn't make any sense, and is also not applicable to the actual state of cosmology. If we don't know, then asserting "it's either finite, or infinite!" is a false dichotomy. Just stop trying to jam your ignorance into an area that doesn't yet have an answer, and let the grown ups come up with the evidence before you make up your mind.

Quote:Makes no sense. Logically possible that there was a cat named Abe Lincoln, or logically possible that a man named Abe Lincoln was a cat?

"All men are cats, Abraham Lincoln was a man, therefore Abe Lincoln was a cat," is a perfectly valid logical syllogism. There are no invalid premises, except for the fact that, like Kalam, like the Ontological argument, like the moral argument, the premises are not factually based. That's why logic gets you nowhere unless you feed accurate data into it.

Quote:When God created the universe, time was also created. If the universe wasn't created from nothing, that would mean that it had to exist infinitely. But I already gave reasons why it couldn't have existed infinitely. So creation ex nihilo is justified, otherwise explain to me how you can any event in time come to pass if time is infinite??

So what you're saying is that if a single alternative model can't be true, then therefore yours is? That's nonsense; even if infinity were impossible- and it's still not the problem that needs to be addressed here- that doesn't make creation ex nihilo any more valid. It's not the default option if you prove (what you perceive to be) everything else wrong.

Quote:Omniscience is the attribute of knowing all true propositions. Newsflash; if you know all true propositions, then there is no knowledge "beyond the scope of your understanding".

Except if you don't know that you don't know it. How would you know, if you didn't know that there was knowledge you didn't possess? Omniscience can only ever be a claim of absolute certainty, there is simply no way for a being, even one who claims omniscience, to verify that they actually possess such an attribute.

Logically invalid. Bam.

Quote:Please. Before getting in depth, I was trying to set a foundation regarding the mere origins of morality, just like I try to focus on with regards to consciousness and life..the origins of these things. Before we get to which view is the correct view (or seemingly correct), lets start with where do we get them from in the first place.

Red herring? Please.

We're evolved beings, biological organisms with a shared set of needs and wants that allow us to form an objective framework through which morality can be derived. Life is preferable to death, pleasure is preferable to pain, health is preferable to sickness: these are objective truths about our nature as living beings, though they are general rules too, that sometimes come into conflict with one another. Nevertheless, finding single hypothetical scenarios in which those conflicts might arise- as I'm sure you're desperately trying to do in a little "gotcha!" moment- will not reduce their efficacy in the main. They are sufficient objective standards through which we can build up a moral system from simple beginnings, assuming we consistently plot it out, without special pleading at any point. Simple.

And yes, it's still a red herring.

Quote:Bill Gates made a quote about the complexity of a particular "thing" called DNA. Any geneticists or biologists can tell you complex DNA is. This is a known fact. Nothing new.

A geneticist or biologist would also know that it's merely an analogy to better illustrate a complex concept to a layman.

Quote:But since that is your criterion, Michael Behe is a biochemist who has written books which discuss the complexity of DNA and cellular structures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Behe

Yeah, and Behe's arguments lost him a court case about exactly this topic in Kitzmiller vs Dover, in 2005. Behe's profound dishonesty and the inefficacy of his arguments are widely known.

Quote:READ

http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/handbook/basics/dna

Ugh. So can you take the information out of DNA? Hold it in your hand? Can you get a fistful of information? Or is it a fucking conceptual thing, after all? Dodgy

Quote:Figure it the fuck out.

For the life of me, I can't. Because it literally has nothing to do with what we were actually talking about. It's a red herring. Again.

Quote:Evolution? ROFLOL Please explain the origin of consciousness via evolution.

I did, like two posts ago. Aren't you paying attention before you decide to disagree with me? It's a beneficial trait for organisms to be able to react to their environments more accurately over a wider range of stimuli. Consciousness arose as an emergent property of that drive toward more complex reactive intellects, as a means to better react on the fly to more complicated scenarios. It's all tied in with the evolution of brains, as consciousness is a property that arises within the brain.

Quote:Bringing it up as a smokescreen? DNA contains specified information, that is a fact, and the last I checked, information has informants. You said that the argument from design begged the question, and I pointed out the fact that DNA is one thing that is apparently designed due to the specified complexity of the information that is in it.

First of all, you're begging the question by calling whatever "information" you want to see in DNA specified. Evolution is perfectly sufficient to winnow down randomly generated anything into usable forms, as the unusable ones... died off? You know, natural selection?

Quote:Any biologist/biochemists will confirm this, whether they are believers or not. So if you are not DENYING the fact that DNA contains information, then you don't have a argument, and your objections are irrelevant and meaningless.

I don't deny the existence of readable information in DNA, I deny your claims as to the nature of information in general. Do try to keep up; my position is that information is a conceptual state of predictable and reliably derived patterns within an object, that can be read after the fact by intelligent minds.

When I said that, instead of addressing the issue, you just went "aha! But where did those minds come from?" as though that has any relevance at all to the nature of information. It doesn't; no matter the origins of the minds in question, their ability to discern and isolate patterns elsewhere is what makes up information. It doesn't have some objectively real form that can be extracted and shown to anyone else. It's just us, looking at a thing, and seeing what makes it tick.

Quote:Foolishness. If the words weren't placed there purposely, it isn't a freakin code!!!

Only if your definition of a code requires that it be intentionally placed. In which case, you are absolutely begging the question by calling DNA a code.

Quote:No it isn't acting in predictable ways. Consider this video by Stephen Meyer, where he is explaining the complexity of DNA...and he is explaining it to school children, which would make it easier for you to follow.

Do you happen to know anything at all about how the elements of DNA bond together? The four nucleobases pair up in very specific, well understood base pairs. It is, in fact, entirely predictable. The fact that it is a complex topic in no way reduces scientists ability to predict and understand it, your pointless condescension notwithstanding.

Quote:Me and him draw a theistic conclusion because of this..that is our implication...your implications may be different, but the science is the science...and no one can deny that. Show me a video which shows that DNA is not as complex as we make it to be, or the probability of getting one protein molecule is not as high as Dr. Meyer makes it to me. Can you? Probably not.

Since when did complexity have anything to do with predictability? Complex things can be predicted. You really don't even know what you're arguing anymore, do you? You're just throwing out random topics that are only tangentially related to what we were discussing before, and have no relevance to the topic at hand.

Quote:No one living today knows who wrote anything in antiquity. It isn't as if we are so sure of who wrote anything else in history, but when it comes to the Bible, all of a sudden it is time to be a skeptic.

When it comes to many other things in antiquity we have corroboration from other sources. When we get to the bible, suddenly it's only the one source, and it's the same source that's making all the claims in the first place. Oh, and all of those claims are supernatural with no supporting justification at all. If you found a book from antiquity that contained an account of an alien invasion, only it was the only book from that time that mentioned anything about it, would you believe it just because it was a book?

Quote:Your entire knowledge of ancient history is based on what you've been told from someone else. You weren't there. We use the same criterion to establish historical truths regarding biblical claims that we use for anything else in history.

Yeah, and when we find supernatural or miraculous claims in any other history book, do you know what we do? We discount them as superstitions of the time. Why should we do any less for the bible, a book that is actually less supported from independent sources than any of these other books?

Quote:So just because the individual books were "traditionally" attached to the alleged people, that mean that it isn't true? Of course you are gonna say "thats not what I meant", well, if it isn't what you meant, then why the hell are you saying it?

I'm saying that the names are plug names, pseudonyms attached to the books so they would have an author attached to them by the church, when in fact the actual writers are anonymous. Just looking at the book of Matthew specifically, it only gained that name in the second century, and the idea that this Matthew was the disciple Matthew was added later still by a bishop named Papias. It has nothing at all to do with who literally wrote the book.

Quote:You are right, the Gospels were written anonymously, but both Jews and Christians had a tradition of carefully passing down creeds, oracles, parables, scriptures, etc to future generations.

Sure, but when we add in that the gospels were written years after Jesus' death, by people who never knew him, in a historical context in which nobody else was writing about Jesus when he was alive, it becomes a much, much more shaky basis for deriving historical fact. In fact, this is almost an irrelevant point; what does the careful passing down of scriptures matter at all, if the scriptures weren't written anywhere near the time the action went down?

Quote:And the majority of Paul's writings precede the Gospels, which makes his epistles an even early source as a testament to the Resurrection.

All of which were written at least twenty years after Jesus' death. How could they be testament to the resurrection?

Quote:The "foreword" stuff in the NIV is irrelevant if I am on here admitting that the Gospels are anonymous. Again, I said we have historical evidence, which comes from the Early second century apostles who stated whom the Gospels were written by. Historical evidence = shit that was written down and or passed along to people that were a lot close to the scene than people typing in message forums 2,000 years later.

So basically, your historical evidence is that you have some dudes, centuries after the events in question, asserting that some books were written by dudes that they never met, nor have any evidence that the books were ever written by them. That's your big ticket winner, here? "Some guy said it."?

Assertions mean nothing. Do they have any evidence?

Quote:Arguments give good reasons why we believe what we believe.

Only if they're supported.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(November 3, 2014 at 6:00 am)pocaracas Wrote: Care to share those "reasons"?
All you've shown is "indoctrination".... I know that is a powerful force which convinces you of the existence of an unfalsifiable thing, and is the one major force that convinces people around the world to believe in the existence of the god most believed in any particular region.

Again, I've given 6 arguments which can be used for the existence of God.

Kalam, ontological, design, moral, consciousness, and resurrection.

(November 3, 2014 at 6:00 am)pocaracas Wrote: I asked how do you know that some person said a particular sentence?
I even gave you the example of another person saying a particular phrase. Did that person say that phrase?.... Did that person exist at all?
Or... what the alternative?
Think about it!

Just take any famous quote in history...the same question can be asked of that...but normally people don't question those kinds of things, they only put on the skeptic mask when it comes to the Bible.

Patrick Henry allegedly said "Give me liberty, or give me death", no problems there.

But when Jesus say "Love thy neighbor", all of a sudden, "He didn't say that!! How do you know he said it??!!"

The double standard here is apparent.

(November 3, 2014 at 6:00 am)pocaracas Wrote: It does matter.
The lack of order shows how disorderly your reasoning about this is.
Think about it!

It doesn't matter if it never happened. Think about it!!

(November 3, 2014 at 6:00 am)pocaracas Wrote: Were you there? Tongue
Joke's over!
You have no way of knowing for sure how that happened... neither do I.
Thus far, nothing in my life... nothing in the growing body of evidence in all sciences... shows any hint of divine intervention.

As far as I'm concerned, nothing shows any hint of voodoo science either.

(November 3, 2014 at 6:00 am)pocaracas Wrote: Why, then, should I assume a god had anything to do with any part of the development of chemistry, biochemistry, biology, psychology, etc... ?

Why should I assume that long ago, when no one was around to see it, inanimate matter suddenly came to life and began talking?

(November 3, 2014 at 6:00 am)pocaracas Wrote: Also, Traumatic insemination
also known as hypodermic insemination, is the mating practice in some species of invertebrates in which the male pierces the female's abdomen with his penis and injects his sperm through the wound into her abdominal cavity. You'd do good to learn a few things before you spew your faulty reasoning based on limited information.

Again, you are gave a link which shows how things were after the fact. My question is regarding the origins of the sexual reproductive system and how they could have originated and involved all the while reproducing at the same time.

And you basically gave me a link where organisms were already having sex ROFLOL

(November 3, 2014 at 6:00 am)pocaracas Wrote: Have people seen god? Really?
How come many were unconvinced that the man was a god? So much so that they even killed him... according to the story.

Because people do bad things.

(November 3, 2014 at 6:00 am)pocaracas Wrote: Now, how can we be sure that the story portrays real events, instead of idealized ones?

We can read books regarding the Historicity of the Resurrection, and we can also watch the many debates on the subject. All of that sprinkled with a little faith, and then we can be sure.

(November 3, 2014 at 6:00 am)pocaracas Wrote: Like MRSA never happens...
Our grasp of what a million years is is very tenuous... I certainly can't think about it. It's a monstrous amount of time. It's not a god... it's just time enough to adapt to the environment or die.

I see Christians aren't the only one playing the "faith" game.

(November 3, 2014 at 6:00 am)pocaracas Wrote: Then define consciousness, PERIOD.

The sense of awareness. That is the short version. So basically, inanimate matter came to life and became "aware" of things ROFLOL

(November 3, 2014 at 6:00 am)pocaracas Wrote: An unconscious person has no consciousness... Words don't always convey the meaning you think they do.

Right, and a unconscious person isn't "aware" of anything either.

(November 3, 2014 at 6:00 am)pocaracas Wrote: I worship nothing.

Which is your "GOD" given right...

(November 3, 2014 at 6:00 am)pocaracas Wrote: I understand some science and it makes sense.

Life from inanimate material makes sense?

(November 3, 2014 at 6:00 am)pocaracas Wrote: I see no god

Then maybe you need thicker glasses Wink Shades

(November 3, 2014 at 6:00 am)pocaracas Wrote: except in literature or as wishful thinking...
Which sounds more reasonable?

In my opinion, Christianity is more reasonable than any scientific hypothesis that can be used to explain the origins of life, the universe, and consciousness.
(November 3, 2014 at 12:45 pm)His_Majesty Wrote:
(November 3, 2014 at 6:00 am)pocaracas Wrote: Care to share those "reasons"?
All you've shown is "indoctrination".... I know that is a powerful force which convinces you of the existence of an unfalsifiable thing, and is the one major force that convinces people around the world to believe in the existence of the god most believed in any particular region.

Again, I've given 6 arguments which can be used for the existence of God.

Kalam, ontological, design, moral, consciousness, and resurrection.

(November 3, 2014 at 6:00 am)pocaracas Wrote: I asked how do you know that some person said a particular sentence?
I even gave you the example of another person saying a particular phrase. Did that person say that phrase?.... Did that person exist at all?
Or... what the alternative?
Think about it!

Just take any famous quote in history...the same question can be asked of that...but normally people don't question those kinds of things, they only put on the skeptic mask when it comes to the Bible.

Patrick Henry allegedly said "Give me liberty, or give me death", no problems there.

But when Jesus say "Love thy neighbor", all of a sudden, "He didn't say that!! How do you know he said it??!!"

The double standard here is apparent.

(November 3, 2014 at 6:00 am)pocaracas Wrote: It does matter.
The lack of order shows how disorderly your reasoning about this is.
Think about it!

It doesn't matter if it never happened. Think about it!!

(November 3, 2014 at 6:00 am)pocaracas Wrote: Were you there? Tongue
Joke's over!
You have no way of knowing for sure how that happened... neither do I.
Thus far, nothing in my life... nothing in the growing body of evidence in all sciences... shows any hint of divine intervention.

As far as I'm concerned, nothing shows any hint of voodoo science either.

(November 3, 2014 at 6:00 am)pocaracas Wrote: Why, then, should I assume a god had anything to do with any part of the development of chemistry, biochemistry, biology, psychology, etc... ?

Why should I assume that long ago, when no one was around to see it, inanimate matter suddenly came to life and began talking?

(November 3, 2014 at 6:00 am)pocaracas Wrote: Also, Traumatic insemination
also known as hypodermic insemination, is the mating practice in some species of invertebrates in which the male pierces the female's abdomen with his penis and injects his sperm through the wound into her abdominal cavity. You'd do good to learn a few things before you spew your faulty reasoning based on limited information.

Again, you are gave a link which shows how things were after the fact. My question is regarding the origins of the sexual reproductive system and how they could have originated and involved all the while reproducing at the same time.

And you basically gave me a link where organisms were already having sex ROFLOL

(November 3, 2014 at 6:00 am)pocaracas Wrote: Have people seen god? Really?
How come many were unconvinced that the man was a god? So much so that they even killed him... according to the story.

Because people do bad things.

(November 3, 2014 at 6:00 am)pocaracas Wrote: Now, how can we be sure that the story portrays real events, instead of idealized ones?

We can read books regarding the Historicity of the Resurrection, and we can also watch the many debates on the subject. All of that sprinkled with a little faith, and then we can be sure.

(November 3, 2014 at 6:00 am)pocaracas Wrote: Like MRSA never happens...
Our grasp of what a million years is is very tenuous... I certainly can't think about it. It's a monstrous amount of time. It's not a god... it's just time enough to adapt to the environment or die.

I see Christians aren't the only one playing the "faith" game.

(November 3, 2014 at 6:00 am)pocaracas Wrote: Then define consciousness, PERIOD.

The sense of awareness. That is the short version. So basically, inanimate matter came to life and became "aware" of things ROFLOL

(November 3, 2014 at 6:00 am)pocaracas Wrote: An unconscious person has no consciousness... Words don't always convey the meaning you think they do.

Right, and a unconscious person isn't "aware" of anything either.

(November 3, 2014 at 6:00 am)pocaracas Wrote: I worship nothing.

Which is your "GOD" given right...

(November 3, 2014 at 6:00 am)pocaracas Wrote: I understand some science and it makes sense.

Life from inanimate material makes sense?

(November 3, 2014 at 6:00 am)pocaracas Wrote: I see no god

Then maybe you need thicker glasses Wink Shades

(November 3, 2014 at 6:00 am)pocaracas Wrote: except in literature or as wishful thinking...
Which sounds more reasonable?

In my opinion, Christianity is more reasonable than any scientific hypothesis that can be used to explain the origins of life, the universe, and consciousness.

Christianity is nothing more than a false dichotomy its your an Christian or your not. If you are not which is most of the world your going to hell or your the select few correct Christians going up. Christianity is just a mishmash of other cultures religions while only 25% of it is original.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The balance of an unreasonable lifestyle Castle 91 14823 September 22, 2011 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: frankiej