Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 1, 2024, 2:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who are your favorite current Atheists?
RE: Who are your favorite current Atheists?
(March 21, 2015 at 11:18 am)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...judge.html
here is your citation. A young software engineer in Britain was thrown in jail for having sex with a drunk girl that was not passed out. This article refers to the cases being overturned after conviction by a superior court judge.

Quoting the DM is never a good idea for rape cases, but even so - Who told you I supported this kind of thing? I'm not talking about these cases, but most drunk sex is not reported as rape, only about 2.-8% of rape accusations are false. This isn't only about being passed out literally but being able to consent and rationally think - Some people are so drunk that they may be conscious but don't know what they're doing. I never said it doesn't happen, but some men believe it is the norm (i.e. That most drunk sex reported as rape is false) and that is bad because it pressures society to not believe victims. Don't you agree?
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

You asked me for a citation and I provided it. Now I'd like you to cite studies that prove a. Only 2.8% of rape cases are and b. The vast majority of rapes are unreported.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
Favorite current atheist? Thomas Edison...huh? Huh? Come on!
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
Are you an atheist once you're dead? You return to the default position :p You refuse to accept any claims at all as you're too busy being dead.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
@Lemon

You can easily find it

https://www.rainn.org/statistics

http://ndaa.org/pdf/the_voice_vol_3_no_1_2009.pdf

Simply checking wikipedia will direct you towards a grand number of articles/sources and mostly the number is 10% or usually lower.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_accusation_of_rape

False rape accusations exist like any other crime - Yes, it sucks, and there's false accusations for any crime, but there's no reason to think it's more frequent. I'm a law student - I've checked the procedure (at least in my country) to accuse someone of rape - It takes 2 days of interrogations, counter-interrogations, DNA test, answering questions and explaining details + going to court, facing the aggressor, hearing the accusation make stupid questions like "did you really say "yes" or just "half-yes"? and sometimes the judge decides that a suspended sentence is enough... My question - Why would anyone go trough this shit just to "revenge" herself or hurt someone? Because the criminal justice system can be really hostile and skeptical towards rape victims - Pretty much anyone who isn't attractive, female, skinny and bruised + well dressed is considered less likely to be raped - But you have unattractive people and older women being raped as well. This is why we need education
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(March 21, 2015 at 11:45 am)robvalue Wrote: Are you an atheist once you're dead? You return to the default position :p You refuse to accept any claims at all as you're too busy being dead.

Haha That's true too. There are no dead theists.

I was making a play on the word current. I was gonna go with Tesla as I like his "open source" attitude, but turns out he was some sort of Buddhist type. Technically Edison was a deist, but hey, I worked with what I had.
Ah, I get it now! Yeah. I thought you mean Jefferson. Because I'm a moron!

I've found if you dig up theists and ask them if they still believe in God, they don't say yes. And you can keep their jewellery and stuff if no one sees you.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Okay even the ndaa link does not claim 2% but 8. An there is a reason that they have such tough measures, and yes I agree with that. It's measures like that, that protected me when my ex fiance accused me of raping her with no evidence at all.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
(March 21, 2015 at 12:00 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: Okay even the ndaa link does not claim 2% but 8. An there is a reason that they have such tough measures, and yes I agree with that. It's measures like that, that protected me when my ex fiance accused me of raping her with no evidence at all.
If I claimed it was always 2% I am sorry because it depends on the country, however don't you agree that it's wrong to think that the rule is to be false?

I can understand your situation, and yes it sucks - I am terribly sorry - However, imagine that you were the one being raped and when you tried to press charges everyone doubted of you. Would you feel ok with that? I'm not saying we shouldn't demand proof, I am saying that we shouldn't assume it's false - Some of what I've seen is reasonable, like demanding DNA proof etc, however I don't see why two interrogations is necessary when one would be enough, and I think cops shouldn't ask questions like "what you were wearing?".

I think your situation sucks, for real, but do you think it's safe to assume rape victims are lying because of your case?

I am not saying you doubt victims, but some people including cops assume most rapes are automatically false and deceiving lies - And this is harmful because it stops justice from working.

(March 20, 2015 at 7:56 pm)Esquilax Wrote:
(March 20, 2015 at 7:32 pm)Delicate Wrote: I liked Carl Sagan.

But he wasn't an atheist. He was agnostic.

Do you happen to know anything about the roots of either of those words? A-theist, meaning without theism, and a-gnostic, from the root word gnossis, meaning knowledge. The former denotes what you believe, the latter what you claim to know; under an actual understanding of the words, Sagan was both an atheist and an agnostic, as are a lot of us here. Sagan misunderstood what atheism was.

Why do people, and Neil Degrasse Tyson does this too, why do people have such a problem with "agnostic atheist"?

There is a time frame issue people are not taking into account here.

Past present and future. Everyone, even if from a "technical" or "semantic" sense have to admit they are "agnostic' about what we have yet to uncover.

But as far as past and present god claims they are atheists. If you lack a believe in a god or gods you are an atheist.

I am a strong atheist as far as the future. So far it is not pointing to god being a requirement so my safe bet is that we can scrap it without losing sleep. Although "technically" only, we don't know.

You can also be an "agnostic theist" meaning you hold the belief that there is some type of god but admit "technically" you don't know.

If they ever build a time machine I would use it to go back in time and kick Thomas Huxley in the fucking nuts for coining such a fucked up word.

"agnostic" is trying to treat both on and off as a middle ground at the same time.

"a" is the Greek prefix for "without" "gnostic" is the Greek suffix for knowledge. "without knowledge" does not tell us what you are claiming to be without knowledge of. So "agnostic" has to be put in front of theist or atheist to have any meaning.

You can be on or off in regards to the past or present, but you cannot be both at the same time. If you lack a belief in the past or current god claims you are an atheist "without god" and still be open "agnostic" about the future.

I am myself only "technically" agnostic about the future and even in that I am not going to worry about god claims because right now science is saying it isn't a requirement.

Agnostics who do not believe in a god are merely atheists without the nerve to call themselves an atheist. There is nothing wrong with "agnostic atheist". I think that comes from a position of worrying too much about the history of stigma of the word.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2878 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  Atheists, whats your view on "Stefan Molyneux" Aneiu1 1 583 November 13, 2021 at 7:36 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Atheists: Your facade cant disguise Renio92 19 2290 September 2, 2020 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Atheists: What if Trump addressed your issues in America. Would you vote for him? Sanau 38 4892 March 30, 2020 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  What is your stance on magic fellow atheists ? tahaadi 42 4864 October 13, 2018 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2236 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Your favorite atheists (Fictional or real) NuclearEnergy 48 9591 December 4, 2017 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Norfolk And Chance
  Atheists, what are your thoughts on us Agnostics? NuclearEnergy 116 27762 November 30, 2017 at 12:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Your favorite Atheist Theist Debate? Nuda900 11 4124 February 28, 2016 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Will you raise your children as Atheists? Kloud 54 10984 December 20, 2014 at 4:40 am
Last Post: robvalue