Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 28, 2024, 4:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If I were an Atheist
RE: If I were an Atheist
(May 1, 2015 at 12:03 pm)Hatshepsut Wrote: Note that little word, "psychologically." Oracles were meant to provide true answers, and until science supplanted them, they did so to the comfort and satisfaction of the people using them. You must remember that pre-scientific people didn't have the background and education you take for granted today. They got comfort where they could. Psychologists know that a feeling of comfort is important enough to human well-being that humans will spend considerable time trying to make themselves more comfortable.

The atheistic belief system you see on this forum and elsewhere has formulaic texts, iconography, recognition rituals, and many of the other trappings familiar from the old religions. It's that tribe thing, baby! Heart

I see a lot of falsities when it comes to what you think atheism is. Also, you are right that people turned to oracles (the supernatural) back in those days. Once they were replaced with science, they were obsolete and recognized as inefficient. We will not forsake science for the belief of the supernatural god(s) you call your own or that others claim the existence of. Those beings will forever be described as the "God of the Gap".
I don't know how you can tell we are getting emotional, hatsch. We are simply replying to what we see to be incorrect assessments.

I'm calm as you like Smile

You can call science whatever you like, I don't use science as my identity.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Which is also quite funny, when you think about it. A lot of us are agnostic atheists...making no claims for or against your god(s). We just don't believe. So why become hostile towards us and claim you know how we are feeling or what is going through our minds? We are all individuals with different mindsets, and I liken us to crayons. We are all essentially crayons, but we have different colors that define us, which is made up of our views and opinions. Strange metaphor, I know...but it sounded good in my head.
(May 1, 2015 at 12:03 pm)Hatshepsut Wrote: The atheistic belief system you see on this forum and elsewhere.....
Here's the 'atheistic belief system':

We don't believe in any deity.

That's it. Literally. Nothing else is attached to that.
(May 1, 2015 at 12:04 pm)robvalue Wrote: There is no atheistic belief system. You seem to have some misconceptions, equating atheism with scepticism...

Many atheists talk like they're coming from a belief system. They fight for what they believe in. They get angry and indignant if they are challenged. They consider themselves "right" and all others "wrong." At risk of repeating myself, they also have standard formulas used in speech or writing, icons such as the "atom" logo or pictures of galaxies emerging from the big bang, and codewords or phrases by which they recognize fellow atheists. These are all the earmarks of a faith. I just don't buy the denial I hear, "we don't believe in anything."

I realize atheism includes diversity and don't group them all together en bloc. But really, every human being holds a belief system of some kind, whether it's simply personal opinion or identification with an organized body of opinion-makers. We can't turn off that part of our nature as if it were a faucet.

I don't fault atheists for what they choose to do with their consciences, or blame them for understandable defense of their own stances. I merely refuse to believe they are Vulcans like Mr. Spock who make choices uninformed by emotion.  Wink

(May 1, 2015 at 12:16 pm)robvalue Wrote: I don't know how you can tell we are getting emotional, hatsch.

It comes with experience smoothing the customers' ruffled archaeopteryx feathers in the commercial dining room, a place much like where the Royal Society used to meet in the early days of science. Albeit my antennae don't work as well online as they do at the table.

Meanwhile, I'd better get off the horn now lest I hog space here. My thanks to everyone.  Coffee
You have made your own generalisations about atheism. That is unfounded.

Yes, every atheist will have beliefs. But that's not the same as them all sharing the same beliefs.

And no one claimed atheists have no emotions... I really can't follow what you're saying anymore.

I won't comment further, I'll leave you to your opinions Smile
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(May 1, 2015 at 12:39 pm)Hatshepsut Wrote:
(May 1, 2015 at 12:04 pm)robvalue Wrote: There is no atheistic belief system. You seem to have some misconceptions, equating atheism with scepticism...

Many atheists talk like they're coming from a belief system. They fight for what they believe in. They get angry and indignant if they are challenged. They consider themselves "right" and all others "wrong." At risk of repeating myself, they also have standard formulas used in speech or writing, icons such as the "atom" logo or pictures of galaxies emerging from the big bang, and codewords or phrases by which they recognize fellow atheists.

I am so disappointed that I never received my user manual, badge, flag, and secret decoder ring.

Quote:These are all the earmarks of a faith. I just don't buy the denial I hear, "we don't believe in anything."

Your incredulity is not an argument.

Quote:I realize atheism includes diversity and don't group them all together en bloc. But really, every human being holds a belief system of some kind, whether it's simply personal opinion or identification with an organized body of opinion-makers. We can't turn off that part of our nature as if it were a faucet.

And that diversity is what makes your contention rather weak.

Quote:I don't fault atheists for what they choose to do with their consciences, or blame them for understandable defense of their own stances. I merely refuse to believe they are Vulcans like Mr. Spock who make choices uninformed by emotion.  Wink

I suggest you stop generalizing about a diverse group.

Quote:
(May 1, 2015 at 12:16 pm)robvalue Wrote: I don't know how you can tell we are getting emotional, hatsch.

It comes with experience smoothing the customers' ruffled archaeopteryx feathers in the commercial dining room, a place much like where the Royal Society used to meet in the early days of science. Albeit my antennae don't work as well online as they do at the table.

Meanwhile, I'd better get off the horn now lest I hog space here. My thanks to everyone.  Coffee

Your experience in the commercial dining room? Huh?
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
Could someone let me in on what the atheist belief system is?

I've been one for almost 3 decades but nobody included me in on this.

Cheers for your help.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
I don't see where a single atheist has ever said "I don't believe in anything". Yet you said that in the very next post, literally five minutes afterwards, in which you were told the true atheist position.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I am having a hard time understanding what it is you are trying to convey. Are you seriously attempting to tell a group of predominately atheists that they are actually religious? Maybe I am not reading properly, but that is what it looks like. It is completely and totally possible to not believe in religion. As I was saying before, we are not saying that a divine being does or does not exist (at least most of us aren't). However, we do not believe in any religion or god(s) that are currently around. So yes, it is possible to not have any beliefs in any god. To say otherwise is just ignorance in its most simple form.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3526 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Are you a better atheist today than you were yesterday? Foxaèr 17 1702 March 24, 2021 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  If there were no atheists? Graufreud 24 4201 July 20, 2018 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  What were your first questions? Sayetsu 51 7872 March 28, 2018 at 2:36 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  If christianity were true [hypothetical] dyresand 27 3891 June 17, 2016 at 4:22 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Do you think you'd still be a believer if the bible were more pleasant/accurate? Cecelia 53 7269 May 17, 2016 at 11:11 am
Last Post: AkiraTheViking
Question If you were ever a theist... *Deidre* 347 52374 January 12, 2016 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  If You Were A Theist Shuffle 15 3695 August 29, 2015 at 1:57 am
Last Post: IATIA
  how old were you jackson 57 9814 January 25, 2015 at 3:23 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Case closed on making cases against the case for stuff, in case you were wondering. Whateverist 27 5819 December 11, 2014 at 8:12 am
Last Post: robvalue