Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 19, 2024, 11:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Does the Bible Contradict Itself?
RE: Does the Bible Contradict Itself?
Quote: Does the Bible Contradict Itself?
Does the pope abuse his position at the vatican to protect paedophiles?
Religion is an attempt to answer the philosophical questions of the unphilosophical man.
(July 21, 2012 at 10:32 am)pgrimes15 Wrote: OK I give up.

If you are allowed such leeway in an attempt to reconcile verses that :-

- any timeline can be imagined ("ancient authors were not so concerned with chronology")

- any imagined extra text can be inserted. (i.e. "Jesus might very well have said something else after the words Luke recorded, and before "he gave up the ghost". We simply don't have enough information from the texts to know with any degree of certainty.")

- any contradiction in a number or name can be dismissed as mistranslation.

then I cannot imagine ANY pair of sentences that CANNOT be reconciled as non-contradictory.

Turning the OP on its' head, can anyone construct a hypothetical pair of statements that would be construed as unambiguously contradictory, given the leeway in treatment that I have mentioned above.

Could it at least be said that the passages

2KI 24:8 Jehoiachin was eighteen years old when he began to reign, and he reigned in Jerusalem three months. And his mother's name was Nehushta, the daughter of Elnathan of Jerusalem.

2CH 36:9 Jehoiachin was eight years old when he began to reign, and he reigned three months and ten days in Jerusalem: and he did that which was evil in the sight of the LORD.

are contradictory even if the contradiction is caused by a mistranslation thus answering the OPs question.

Regards

Grimesy

True. Contrary they are, but significantly so?

I actually was recently shown a contradiction of biblical texts (and of biblical propotions?) by a Mormon, which appears both genuine and significant. Would you care to consider it with me, or would you like to move on to fresher discussions topics?

(July 21, 2012 at 7:39 pm)liam Wrote:

Benedict, the current pope, has made the decision that law enforcement will now be contacted when any accusation of child abuse is made. A change for the better, I think (or at least that means the answer to your question is no).

:p
"If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains (no matter how improbable) must be the truth."

--Spock
(July 21, 2012 at 11:25 am)pgrimes15 Wrote: From my atheist viewpoint, what I see is that christians who make a presupposition of the existence of god defend "their" bible against charges of not being the word of God using some quite imaginative reasoning to "shoehorn" the conclusion of inerrancy into their thinking.

On the other hand I could be charged with only being interested in nay-saying the bible because I have a presupposition that there is no evidence to suggest it is anything other than an ancient book written by ancient and fallible men.

In other words I'm don't believe in God, but others do - we sort of knew this already.

Regards

Grimesy
Good points. Obviously I didn't prove there wasn't a contradiction. Our conclusions depend on our presuppositions. Once again, believing is done with the heart, not the mind. I hope to see you around, Grimsey.

What? Rather silly strawman.

Of course he does not abuse it. It's his job to protect pedopriests.

[Image: 20120429-092845.jpg]
(July 21, 2012 at 10:41 pm)Undeceived Wrote:
(July 21, 2012 at 11:25 am)pgrimes15 Wrote: From my atheist viewpoint, what I see is that christians who make a presupposition of the existence of god defend "their" bible against charges of not being the word of God using some quite imaginative reasoning to "shoehorn" the conclusion of inerrancy into their thinking.

On the other hand I could be charged with only being interested in nay-saying the bible because I have a presupposition that there is no evidence to suggest it is anything other than an ancient book written by ancient and fallible men.

In other words I'm don't believe in God, but others do - we sort of knew this already.

Regards

Grimesy
Good points. Obviously I didn't prove there wasn't a contradiction. Our conclusions depend on our presuppositions. Once again, believing is done with the heart, not the mind. I hope to see you around, Grimsey.

Undeceived:

We haven't spoken much this thread, but I was glad to have you here. Something you said confused me. Mind if I ask you to explain? You said believing is done with the heart, not the mind. I'm insure about what heart you are speaking and how it differs from the mind.

(July 21, 2012 at 11:14 pm)padraic Wrote:
(July 21, 2012 at 7:39 pm)liam Wrote: Does the pope abuse his position at the vatican to protect paedophiles?

Not a straw man, though perhaps not a good analogy. Funny joke to some, I suppose.

Smile

(July 22, 2012 at 1:17 am)Minimalist Wrote:
(July 21, 2012 at 7:39 pm)liam Wrote: Does the pope abuse his position at the vatican to protect paedophiles?

Of course he does not abuse it. It's his job to protect pedopriests.

[Image: 20120429-092845.jpg]

Then he is not doing his job well, I'd say! Calling the police whenever an accusation is made exposes, rather than protects them. Unless by protect you mean to protect them from themselves.

:p
"If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains (no matter how improbable) must be the truth."

--Spock
(July 21, 2012 at 11:14 pm)padraic Wrote:

It's not a strawman, pad. It's highlighting a question that you feel has an obvious affirmitive answer by asking another question with an obvious affirmitive answer. For example, if someone was to ask, "Is fast food bad for you?" You would reply with another question with an obvious affirmitive answer, and most commonly the one used is, "Does a bear shit in the woods?"
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Quote:Then he is not doing his job well, I'd say! Calling the police whenever an accusation is made exposes, rather than protects them.

I suppose he may have recently changed his position ....goodness knows there has been enough shit about it.... but as late as 2010 Herr Von Popenfuhrer was

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10427935

Quote:Pope deplores 'sex abuse' raids by Belgian police

still firmly a resident of Camp Cover Up.

Of course, he had long been in residence there, even in 2001, when he was merely Ratzy, The Grand Inquisitor, he:

Quote:As part of the implementation of the norms enacted and promulgated on April 30, 2001 by Pope John Paul II,[6] on May 18, 2001 Ratzinger sent a letter to every bishop in the Catholic Church.[7][8] This letter reminded them of the strict penalties facing those who revealed confidential details concerning enquiries into allegations against priests of certain grave ecclesiastical crimes, including sexual abuse, which were reserved to the jurisdiction of the Congregation.

If now he has finally decided that his little club is getting killed in the press and he has to pay lip service, at least, to the victims of his pedo-priests it comes under the heading of "too little - waaayyy too late."

This fucker belongs in jail for his own crimes.
(July 22, 2012 at 8:05 am)spockrates Wrote: Not a straw man, though perhaps not a good analogy. Funny joke to some, I suppose.

Smile

Paedophilia is hardly a joke...
However, if you're assuming that I was accusing the pope in jest then you're thoroughly mistaken. The vatican has a long record of this sort of thing and there isn't much that is endearing about the pope's claim that they can 'mend' priests or bishops who have been found guilty of sexual offences. The church flexes its muscles on a whole manner of cases where the clergy are involved and this is simply the one I chose for effect because of the severity of the crime.
Religion is an attempt to answer the philosophical questions of the unphilosophical man.
Quote:Not a straw man, though perhaps not a good analogy. Funny joke to some, I suppose.

Oh,it was A JOKE. I saw it as an as argument,but unrelated to the topic.That makes it a strawman.

The question is too serious to me to be funny.However, I agree with George Carlin; we should be able to make a joke about anything. I guess I need to lighten up.

The answers is of course 'yes' . The church has always arrogantly insisted that canon law trumps civil law. Regardless of the obscenity of the endemic child abuse ,that position has not changed one iota. The Catholic church is now and has always been a corrupt and criminal organisation*

*PS same goes for organised religion generally. The Catholic church is simply the best at what it does due to the time frame. However,to be fair,the Mormons and the mega happy clappy churches are catching up fast.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44777 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Does Bible specifically forbid Anal sex? ErGingerbreadMandude 145 17433 March 23, 2017 at 9:52 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  How does "Science prove that the miracles of the Bible did not happen" ? Emzap 62 11487 November 4, 2016 at 2:05 am
Last Post: dyresand
  What the Bible Does NOT Say About Premarital Sex Rhondazvous 30 6474 January 25, 2016 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  History Repeats Itself Shuffle 79 16846 August 18, 2015 at 12:42 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
Question Why does the Bible say there are different races of people... Aractus 40 9706 March 5, 2015 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Christians, where does your allegiance lie? - Jesus Christ or Bible Forsaken 53 14319 February 15, 2015 at 6:38 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Illinois bible colleges: "We shouldn't have to follow state standards because bible!" Esquilax 34 7488 January 23, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  The Bible does NOT ban masturbation..another Christian lie là bạn điên 42 9459 February 12, 2014 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Hell does NOT exist in the bible? 1tasolo 24 8087 February 3, 2014 at 9:50 pm
Last Post: Angrboda