Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 11:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
How to shut up people who are against abortion
RE: How to shut up people who are against abortion
Quote:When I ask why the father doesn't have a say, I mean in the sense that him and the women had consensual sex, knowing pregnancy was a possibility. It's as much his child as it is hers, so why in those situations can't the father have a say?

Okay so you've narrowed your initial assertion which is a good thing. Now, how do you know that he hasn't gotten a say? Leaving aside the high probability that many men are not that thrilled with children resulting from a roll in the hay what you really mean is situations where the woman and male disagree, yes?

In that case, he still got his "say." She disagreed and she is the one doing all the work. It's her body that you are trying conscript.
(May 31, 2013 at 11:08 am)Creed of Heresy Wrote:
(May 31, 2013 at 6:58 am)catfish Wrote: Oh shit, was I speaking of crybabies?

I dunno, you're the one crying about atheist fundies, so...yes?

There's a difference between crying and laughing. I find it wildly amusing watching an atheist bring scripture into a debate, especially while using the literal fundamentalist stance. I thought you atheists were sick of having scripture quoted to you? Why the fuck should I believe his interpretation, what authority blah blah blah (you know the whiny drill...).

Sit back, enjoy life, see the humor in an fundy atheist using the Bible as an authority, it really is funny.

(May 31, 2013 at 7:24 am)smax Wrote:
(May 31, 2013 at 6:49 am)catfish Wrote: What kind of moron takes from my quote that I think scripture is morally binding? Quite the opposite actually...
Seriously, what the fuck kind of strawman are you building over there?

Fucking literal atheist fundies.... Undecided

You cite scripture to justify your position that scripture is unreliable and then cite it again to justify your position here. Lol.

But, yeah, im the weird one!

No, I cited scripture to dispell your literal fundy position. You brought the Bible into play and I was just showing you something that you didn't know. Go back to wherever you got that quote from and get yourself a new opinion and try again.
(May 31, 2013 at 5:39 pm)catfish Wrote: No, I cited scripture to dispell your literal fundy position. You brought the Bible into play and I was just showing you something that you didn't know. Go back to wherever you got that quote from and get yourself a new opinion and try again.

"Something I didn't know"? LOL.

I didn't take a position, nor was I citing one in scripture. On the contrary, I used scripture to demostrate the complete and utter lack of regard the Bible has for human life, even that of a completely blameless infant.

With that, you conveniently take the position that some (or much) of scripture is a lie.

And, while we are on the subject, which parts are lies and which parts are true and valid?

On what basis do you claim to be a "Christian"?
[Image: earthp.jpg]
(May 25, 2013 at 10:09 am)Just Chilling Wrote: -and instead of writing how I "failed" you should have written an argument in return rather than criticizing it

You made the claim that your argument would shut up anti abortionists. That claim clearly failed. No criticism needed.

Science (not religion) states that person exists from conception. Any choice you make regarding that person cannot be excused as anything less. Just because it doesn't yet have feelings, or isn't yet able to live independently, for example.
(June 1, 2013 at 4:12 am)fr0d0 Wrote: Science (not religion) states that person exists from conception. Any choice you make regarding that person cannot be excused as anything less. Just because it doesn't yet have feelings, or isn't yet able to live independently, for example.

Science and god have the same regard for human life. The difference is, everyone knows where they stand with science.
(May 31, 2013 at 5:39 pm)catfish Wrote: There's a difference between crying and laughing. I find it wildly amusing watching an atheist bring scripture into a debate, especially while using the literal fundamentalist stance. I thought you atheists were sick of having scripture quoted to you? Why the fuck should I believe his interpretation, what authority blah blah blah (you know the whiny drill...).

Sit back, enjoy life, see the humor in an fundy atheist using the Bible as an authority, it really is funny.

I dunno, you say laughing but all I hear from you is:

Also "fundy atheists," eh? Do tell me, what are the fundamental aspects of atheism? Unless you refer to atheists who use biblical quotes to disprove standpoints that followers of the Abrahamic cults tend to stand upon? Reason for that, of course, is because the bible is considered the canon source of information on the Abrahamic cults, particularly the old testament parts.

Or is there some fundamentalist view at the root of atheism that certain members here are prescribing to? If so, I would love to hear about it...mostly so I can have a good belly laugh.

(June 1, 2013 at 4:12 am)fr0d0 Wrote: Science (not religion) states that person exists from conception. Any choice you make regarding that person cannot be excused as anything less. Just because it doesn't yet have feelings, or isn't yet able to live independently, for example.

What science? And in what way do you mean "person?" Do you mean, the potential to become a fully-formed human being? Or...a person as in a self-aware entity? See, we get into a bit of a philosophical conundrum when we begin discussing what makes a person, well, a person [hence the reason for the debate-gridlock that tends to take place in regards to the ethics of abortions], because you have to define what a person is. For the first month at the least, what is developing in the uterus looks nothing like a person, and it lacks any characteristics of what would be a person. It's mostly just an assemblage of stem cells. The definition of what makes a person, well, a person, is...er, a personality, typically speaking. This tends to become one of those things where you end up with different viewpoints as to what a person is, hence the usual conundrum in regards to abortion; different viewpoints, with their own reasons for validity.

It's fine if someone is against abortion for ethical concerns. "It is something that can become a self-aware human being" is actually a valid standpoint. But so is "It's not self-aware and is therefore not a human being."

The title of the thread isn't exactly valid, because it assumes that there is a way to invalidate all anti-abortion stances, and...there isn't, because it is a matter of philosophical debate. I'm pro-choice but it's because my definition of what makes a person is being a self-aware, individually-functioning entity. I don't say abortion is GOOD, but I don't say it's bad, either. I don't put the weight of responsibility on someone who is just simply not capable of being responsible for something, and a fetus falls into that category of not being capable of responsibility.
(June 1, 2013 at 4:37 am)smax Wrote:

Science and god have the same regard for human life. The difference is, everyone knows where they stand with science.

So you agree with me?

Why bring up God?
(June 1, 2013 at 1:51 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: So you agree with me?

I wouldn't say that at all. Unless you were somehow conceding that god doesn't care one way or the other for human life?

Quote:Why bring up God?

Why bring up god in a thread about god's lack of regard for human life?

Hmmmmm.....

Thinking
Quote:Why bring up God?

Because puking is an involuntary reflex?
(June 1, 2013 at 1:42 am)smax Wrote: On what basis do you claim to be a "Christian"?

Sweet, I love the True Christian™ game, you go first. Smile

(June 1, 2013 at 4:40 am)Creed of Heresy Wrote: Also "fundy atheists," eh? Do tell me, what are the fundamental aspects of atheism? Unless you refer to atheists who use biblical quotes to disprove standpoints that followers of the Abrahamic cults tend to stand upon? Reason for that, of course, is because the bible is considered the canon source of information on the Abrahamic cults, particularly the old testament parts.

Or is there some fundamentalist view at the root of atheism that certain members here are prescribing to? If so, I would love to hear about it...mostly so I can have a good belly laugh.

Specifically? It's not about "atheisism", it's about an atheist's views, interpretations and insistence that others read the Bible the exact same way that they do. If you want examples, read some of the threads I've been involved in. (I think about a month or two ago)
Christians have Westboro, atheists have evilbible.com...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  'God', the biggest practitioner of abortion! Simon Moon 65 5460 July 31, 2023 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: no one
  Be consistent GOP.....Abortion..... Brian37 14 5143 December 1, 2015 at 6:23 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Abortion is love robvalue 308 55033 October 10, 2015 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Abortion and Women's Rights Tea Earl Grey Hot 248 58972 June 10, 2014 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: John V
Question What's the best way to shut up a theist? Zidneya 97 23676 May 3, 2014 at 2:10 am
Last Post: Rampant.A.I.
  What's the best way to shut up a Presuppositionalist? Rampant.A.I. 38 7327 April 30, 2014 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: DeistPaladin
  At which point can a state shut down and forbid a religion? Something completely different 11 4744 September 21, 2013 at 7:41 pm
Last Post: Davidthegoliath
  What is your alternative to abortion? Something completely different 182 59081 April 27, 2013 at 10:00 am
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  Woman suffering miscarriage denied abortion and dies of blood poisoning in Ireland LarissaAnn 20 10511 November 15, 2012 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Jaysus effin' Christ!! Santorum on abortion due to rape LarissaAnn 54 23784 January 29, 2012 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Shell B