Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 29, 2024, 1:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Historical Jesus is real and He rose from the grave
RE: The Historical Jesus is real and He rose from the grave
(March 31, 2014 at 8:49 am)Revelation777 Wrote: Why resort to mocking or insults?

Why resort to preaching? Dodgy
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(March 30, 2014 at 10:54 pm)Tonus Wrote:
(March 28, 2014 at 10:39 pm)Revelation777 Wrote: We are reminded of this event every day. Not a day goes by where you don't hear His name mentioned, hear a song praising Him, drive by a church, see someone wearing a cross, or hear a verse from the Bible.
So the proof that Jesus is god is that he's become cultural background noise?

The impact of Jesus' life is much greater than that. People all over the world die for Him.
(March 31, 2014 at 8:53 am)Revelation777 Wrote:
(March 30, 2014 at 10:54 pm)Tonus Wrote: So the proof that Jesus is god is that he's become cultural background noise?

The impact of Jesus' life is much greater than that. People all over the world die for Him.

Yes. Yes they do... sad.
(March 30, 2014 at 10:58 pm)Beccs Wrote:
(March 30, 2014 at 10:54 pm)Tonus Wrote: So the proof that Jesus is god is that he's become cultural background noise?

Like Harry Potter.

You don't have to stand before Harry Potter some day.

(March 30, 2014 at 9:54 pm)Beccs Wrote:
(March 30, 2014 at 9:47 pm)Revelation777 Wrote: A lot rode upon that body remaining in the grave. The tomb was sealed and the lives of the Roman Soldiers hung in the balance. Yet, He Rose Again regardless.

Not as obscure as slime evolving into humans.

You mean the fact of evolution? The basis of modern biology and medicine? The same that has allowed us to eradicate smallpox which had previously killed hundreds of millions of people, and close to eradicating polio?

THAT evolution?

Not that evolution..the evolution that claims one species over millions of years evolved into another.

(March 30, 2014 at 11:16 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(March 30, 2014 at 11:10 pm)Faith No More Wrote: Do you always attempt to defend your proselytizing with cheap misdirection?

Apparently, aside form bible verses, that's all he's got.

Whether we accept it or not, we all will be judged by the rejection or acceptance of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

(March 31, 2014 at 4:02 am)Alex K Wrote:
(March 31, 2014 at 3:34 am)Fidel_Castronaut Wrote: Haha. That all you got kid? Instead of trying to prove your claim you're going to try and have a dig at something you know nothing about?

Ok. Let's hear your understanding of the Big Bang and why you seem skeptical of it. Please show your working including a critique of any known current mathematical/theoretical paradigms.

You know, since we are today seeing light coming directly to us from the early cooling phase of the universe when atoms were formed via recombination, for all intents and purposes that counts as being there. What else does seeing something first hand mean, after all?
So, yes, I was there.

God created it all. Yes, there was probably a lot of light and energy emitted at the time.
It just never ceases to astound me that Christians have to be told that atheists (and other free thinkers) don't believe the Bible or other sources fanciful Christian folklore about Jesus and the "early Church". Even some of the more polished and apparently educated apologists seem to think that "would they have died for a lie" or "the Bible says..." is a slam-dunk argument. I can only imagine the confused looks on their faces when they read the reply posts that their arguments are unconvincing.

I mean, seriously, why do you think we're non-believers?

Do you think we just have never heard of Jesus? Do you think we don't already know what the story is? Do you imagine that all we need is to be told the story, like the unfolding tale of a Jack Chick comic, and we'll be on our knees praying for salvation?

Here's a clue for Christian posters hoping to win souls for Jesus:
We don't believe the Bible.

I know that's hard to fathom. To you, these are "historical documents" penned by "reliable eye-witness accounts" and championed by people who bravely went to their deaths, heads held high as they awaited their heavenly union with their lord and savior. Why would anyone not accept the story of Jesus as true?

That brings me to my next clues for Christians who hope to win souls for Jesus:
1. We don't believe the Gospels are "historical documents"
2. We don't believe they're penned by "reliable eye-witnesses"
3. We don't buy the Hollywood campy accounts, complete with a swelling background orchestra.

You need to do more than recite the story. If we believed the story, we'd already be Christians.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
(March 31, 2014 at 8:53 am)Revelation777 Wrote: The impact of Jesus' life is much greater than that. People all over the world die for Him.

Are you truly so insular and uninterested that you don't know that other religions have martyrs too? Does that make them true, or just the one you prefer? Dodgy

Quote:Not that evolution..the evolution that claims one species over millions of years evolved into another.

Nope, that's a confirmed fact too, and I am taking bets right now, people, that Rev's response to this comment- if it comes- will showcase a stunning display of ignorance when it comes to what evolution actually is. Any takers?

Yeah, I thought not. Dodgy
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(March 31, 2014 at 8:51 am)pocaracas Wrote:
(March 31, 2014 at 5:43 am)Alex K Wrote: Observing the big bang itself is a bit meaningless if you mean by that a moment in time, because the word itself is not really well-defined. What do you mean by it? If you mean by big bang the process of the universe expanding from a very dense hot state 13.7 billion years ago, yes we can observe it directly. If you mean any particular time or event earlier than CMB, we can't observe it using direct light, because it is shielded by the plasma. We can still observe primordial element abundances as direct messengers from an earlier time, but the "seeing the big bang" metaphor wouldn't be as straightforward.
Well... be careful when you use that "metaphor", as it can be misinterpreted and then you'll be called on it.

It's not a metaphor in the case of the CMB. But again, what do you mean by big bang?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(March 31, 2014 at 8:58 am)Revelation777 Wrote: Whether we accept it or not, we all will be judged by the rejection or acceptance of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Why do you say that?
What could possibly have convinced you that this accurately represents reality?

Why would the blind acceptance of some text be the measure by which the individual human is held accountable? Accountable of what? Judged for what crime?

I think some silly fear that's been inculcated into you is lacking of actual support...

(March 31, 2014 at 9:37 am)Alex K Wrote:
(March 31, 2014 at 8:51 am)pocaracas Wrote: Well... be careful when you use that "metaphor", as it can be misinterpreted and then you'll be called on it.

It's not a metaphor in the case of the CMB. But again, what do you mean by big bang?

"seeing the big bang" != "seeing the CMB";

What do I mean by "big bang"? The initial point in space-time where-when the Universe first expanded...
The "Big bang theory", on the other hand, encompasses all since the initial big bang to the formation of galaxies. And the CMB is evidence that provides credence to this theory.
(March 28, 2014 at 10:39 pm)Revelation777 Wrote: We are reminded of this event every day. Not a day goes by where you don't hear His name mentioned, hear a song praising Him, drive by a church, see someone wearing a cross, or hear a verse from the Bible.

Jesus predicted His death and resurrection while He was alive. He tomb was empty on three days after His death. He appeared to His disciples. These men's lives were changed and God used them to change the world. Paul and 500 others have seen the risen Christ. The early church grew greatly even with terrible persecution speaks of the power of this Truth. Greatest evidence is the transformation of millions of lives of born again believers.

The delusion is strong in this one.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(March 31, 2014 at 9:37 am)pocaracas Wrote: What do I mean by "big bang"? The initial point in space-time where-when the Universe first expanded...

Well that clears it up then. There is probably no such thing, nor does current cosmology postulate it.

(March 31, 2014 at 8:53 am)Revelation777 Wrote: The impact of Jesus' life is much greater than that. People all over the world die for Him.

I think the technical term is "die of Him".
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I Bet "Jesus" Is Real Proud of These Shits Minimalist 34 6358 December 4, 2018 at 12:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Which Jesus is real? Foxaèr 40 8471 August 9, 2017 at 11:52 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more. vorlon13 14 3150 August 1, 2017 at 2:54 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  lies, broken promises, racism : the real Jesus jenny1972 6 1978 November 4, 2015 at 3:23 pm
Last Post: jenny1972
  The Historical Reliability of the New Testament Randy Carson 706 111603 June 9, 2015 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Historical Easter Question for Minimalist thesummerqueen 26 7647 April 5, 2015 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  In Christianity, Does Jesus' Soul Have Anything To Do With Why Jesus Is God? JesusIsGod7 18 7363 October 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Mass grave discovered in an abandoned Catholic children's home. Esquilax 46 8904 June 11, 2014 at 1:57 pm
Last Post: Vox
  Jesus Would Role Over In His Grave Cinjin 7 2382 April 19, 2014 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: Confused Ape
  For People Who Think There Was No Historical Jesus Confused Ape 487 226686 May 11, 2013 at 4:40 pm
Last Post: Minimalist