Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 30, 2024, 12:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Abortion is morally wrong
RE: Abortion is morally wrong
(July 25, 2014 at 6:26 pm)Godslayer Wrote: Pro-life is more akin to a Pro-death and Pro-negligence position.

Nope. It's the pro-birth position. Once the kid is born it becomes straight up the don't-give-a-fuck-'bout-you-or-your-kid position.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(July 25, 2014 at 7:24 pm)GalacticBusDriver Wrote:
(July 25, 2014 at 6:26 pm)Godslayer Wrote: Pro-life is more akin to a Pro-death and Pro-negligence position.

Nope. It's the pro-birth position. Once the kid is born it becomes straight up the don't-give-a-fuck-'bout-you-or-your-kid position.
That's just Republicunts.

Personally, I think there's a case for reduced or properly-protected sex for those who don't want (more?) children. It's not wrong to think of sex as part of the reproductive process, and to see pregnancy as a product of irresponsible behavior or at least pointless hedonism. And this is coming from a guy who has enough kids and still has sex, and whose wife has had one abortion purely from choice-- it was an event that caused serious self-reflection and a realization that some of our values had put us in a situation that was really unnecessary.

Either way, a kid shouldn't be a life-sentence. A well-established social and health system should treat kids as a national asset. A pregnant girl should be seen as performing a useful and beautiful natural function-- not a morally shamed loser who needs to be made to suffer for her mistake. If the Republicunts want every baby to be born, they need to be willing to provide great health care to the mom, before and after the birth, and to invest in an infrustructure that can deal with problems-- better foster care/adoption systems, etc. THAT would be "pro life."
(July 24, 2014 at 10:30 pm)Bad Wolf Wrote:
(July 24, 2014 at 9:38 pm)Polaris Wrote: I'm pro-life in the truest sense of the term (except when it comes to PETA aka People for Eating Tasty Animals).

I think other pro-lifers would disagree with you on that. Didn't you say you would allow early term abortion? That doesn't sound like a pro-lifer to me. Just out of curiosity, how early is that? How late in the pregnancy would you deem in acceptable to abbort? Would you therefore, force women further along in their pregnancies, to carry the feutus to term?

I wouldn't accept it, but that's very different from saying I would enact laws against it either.

I thought the law in many nations was no abortion after the third trimester.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
Hello, new user here so I apologize if my arguement has been "beat to death" already. I read as much of the 95 pages of posts on the subject as I could, and saw no mention of it, so I thought I would put it out there and see what people thought.
I come at the question of abortion from a slightly different angle. I look at it more of a question of implicit responsibility and informed consent. Let me preface that this is my MORAL view, NOT my legal view on abortion - as you all well know the two are not interchangeable.
A simplistic analogy would be if I offerred you a trip to Paris(or Amersterdam or Denver Wink Shades ) and access to a great private party there where we would have lots of fun. The only catch is that there is a 1:1000 chance that my kidneys are going to fail and I would need 1 of yours. I don't expect it, but it could happen. You don't have to go, and you know the conditions before we leave. If you willingly accept the proposition and then my kidneys do fail then would you still be responsible to assist me and my health? Obviously if you didn't undestand the conditions (informed) or didn't agree (consent) then this issue is moot, but if you did then what are your moral obligations?
I contend that unless the condition have changed that would make the agreement unreasonable (eg you lost 1 of your kidneys and need your only remaining 1 to survive) you would be MORALLY responsible to assist me and it would be wrong not to.
What is the consensus on this and the obvious extension to abortion.

Seperately I do personally think fathers are not obligated enough during the pregnancy to necessarily be more responsible prior. I think it would do wonders if fathers were required to attend pre-natal visits with expectant mothers and as such atleast have some required inconvience as a consequence of their actions if they are not willing to otherwise be a part of the pregnancy that they caused, but that is an entirely seperate issue.

Look forward to hearing the responses.

Additionally, I don't think this arguement has anything to do with autonomy as people give up their personal autonomy willingly all of the time (eg joining the Armed Forced you can be required to do all kinds of things - within certain bounds) so I personally start at a position that a person can willingly give up a portion of their personal autonomy. Just wanted to clarify, thanks
Perhaps the contract should include a zipper surgically installed above the kidney so as to show that the conditions are fully understood.
(July 26, 2014 at 6:35 pm)Polaris Wrote: I wouldn't accept it, but that's very different from saying I would enact laws against it either.

So you don't like the idea of abortions but you wouldn't enact laws to prevent them? Sounds pro-choice to me. Do you recognise that a womans bodily autonomy trumps the rights of an unborn foetus?
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
If you don't want an abortion, or don't believe in abortion... Don't have one.
(July 26, 2014 at 8:38 pm)Bad Wolf Wrote:
(July 26, 2014 at 6:35 pm)Polaris Wrote: I wouldn't accept it, but that's very different from saying I would enact laws against it either.

So you don't like the idea of abortions but you wouldn't enact laws to prevent them? Sounds pro-choice to me. Do you recognise that a womans bodily autonomy trumps the rights of an unborn foetus?

I think the more liberal Christian position is that abortion is wrong, but that denying the capacity of people to choose wrong goes against the purpose of God-given free-will. This is not so much about the woman's rights being more important than those of the fetus, but about the importance of letting the woman choose what is right or wrong on her own terms.
Well as long as they don't want to make abortions illegal, I don't care.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
(July 26, 2014 at 8:00 pm)answer-is-42 Wrote:

No. No no no. Worst argument ever and I don't have the energy right now.
All I can say is this, "as a consequence of their actions" automatically rules your argument invalid in my eyes. Sex is not illegal and governments have no business imposing moral consequences.
And
"people give up their personal autonomy willingly all the time" well yea, willingly being the key word
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why is murder wrong if Many Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics is true? FlatAssembler 52 3945 August 7, 2022 at 8:51 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  J.J. Thompson's Violinist Thought Experiment Concerning Abortion vulcanlogician 29 1738 January 3, 2022 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  After birth abortion? Mystical 109 9401 August 19, 2018 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  What is wrong with FW? Little Rik 126 14942 August 17, 2018 at 4:10 am
  God does not determine right and wrong Alexmahone 134 15343 February 12, 2018 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is it possible for a person to be morally neutral? Der/die AtheistIn 10 2048 October 15, 2017 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Abortion -cpr on the fetus? answer-is-42 153 16591 July 5, 2015 at 12:50 am
  What is wrong with this premise? Heywood 112 19349 February 21, 2015 at 3:34 am
  The foundations of William L. Craigs "science" proven wrong? Arthur Dent 5 1295 July 25, 2014 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Rabb Allah
  "God has morally sufficient reasons for permitting evil" Freedom of thought 58 17540 December 27, 2013 at 12:58 am
Last Post: Freedom of thought