Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 18, 2024, 3:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
What would you consider to be evidence for God?
RE: What would you consider to be evidence for God?
(June 10, 2016 at 11:40 am)madog Wrote:
(June 10, 2016 at 11:33 am)Redbeard The Pink Wrote:   then that would have been a MAJOR paradigm shift as to how life is understood and defined, and I would like to see some evidence that this shift has actually happened.

Its in the bible, they just haven't got around to interpreting or adding something yet LOL

I don't think Lion's woo is Bible based. From what I can tell, he's either a pantheist or a troll.
Verbatim from the mouth of Jesus (retranslated from a retranslation of a copy of a copy):

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you too will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. How can you see your brother's head up his ass when your own vision is darkened by your head being even further up your ass? How can you say to your brother, 'Get your head out of your ass,' when all the time your head is up your own ass? You hypocrite! First take your head out of your own ass, and then you will see clearly who has his head up his ass and who doesn't." Matthew 7:1-5 (also Luke 6: 41-42)

Also, I has a website: www.RedbeardThePink.com
(June 9, 2016 at 3:59 am)Constable Dorfl Wrote:
(June 8, 2016 at 11:55 pm)snowtracks Wrote: Well, just no other way to say this: Abiogenesis has been dealt a death blow. It turns out the DNA module is not stable as formerly thought but is in need of continuously repair and maintenance which is performed by the cell itself. This means that the DNA and the cell couldn’t have arisen independent of each other; the cell repairs the DNA, and the DNA preserves the cell’s genetics by copying the original (after repairs, if needed) via cell division.
“The reason our genetic material does not disintegrate into complete chemical chaos is that a host of molecular systems continuously monitor and repair DNA. The Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2015 awards three pioneering scientists who have mapped how several of these repair systems function at a detailed molecular level”.* C'est la vie evolution, you been found wanting.

*http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/c...press.html

Evolution is not solely about genetics. Ever hear about epigenetics, the study of evolutionary change which isn't based on DNA molecules? We've known for years that DNA is subject to radical mutation (one of the main vectors of genetic evolution, the other being reproductive recombination), and we've also known for years that there are defences against mutation in this way(some genetic, some non genetic). And we also know that some strands of DNA code for proteins in different shape, radically altering their purpose, depending on the stressors affecting a body.

Despite what your peabrain thinks, you are pointing to research which strengthens evolution, not destroys it.
Epigenetics adds another layer of complexity since information for 3-dimensional form and structure of an animal is stored in the cell structure itself. Complexity and more information (comes from a mind, that’s why SETI is looking for information and not random noise) doesn’t argue for a mindless, undirected explanation.
Now, continuing with DNA: the 3 Nobel Laureates discovered after decades of research of mapping at the molecular level that the DNA has 3 molecular systems which constantly monitor the genome and repair any damage.
1. Base Excision Repair - if an amino group is lost and becomes unable to form a base pair, thus breaking the DNA chain an enzyme detects the error, and other enzymes repair it so that the DNA can replicate properly.
2. Nucleotide Excision Repair - through this mechanism, enzymes will cut out (yes cut out), remove, and replace a damaged DNA strand.
3. Mismatch Repair - replication errors often occur as the DNA is copied but enzymes continually detect most of these errors, and other enzymes repair the damaged DNA.*

What this research shows is that for abiogenesis to occur, undirected, random processes must have anticipated the inherent instability of DNA and assembled the cell with the variety of enzymes necessary to prevent the self-destruction of DNA.

*http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/c...ze2015.pdf
Atheist Credo: An universe by chance that also just happened to admit the observer by chance.
<yawn>

Since there is no evidence for your fucking god I guess we are not here, huh?
(July 9, 2016 at 1:03 am)snowtracks Wrote:
(June 9, 2016 at 3:59 am)Constable Dorfl Wrote: Evolution is not solely about genetics. Ever hear about epigenetics, the study of evolutionary change which isn't based on DNA molecules? We've known for years that DNA is subject to radical mutation (one of the main vectors of genetic evolution, the other being reproductive recombination), and we've also known for years that there are defences against mutation in this way(some genetic, some non genetic). And we also know that some strands of DNA code for proteins in different shape, radically altering their purpose, depending on the stressors affecting a body.

Despite what your peabrain thinks, you are pointing to research which strengthens evolution, not destroys it.
Epigenetics adds another layer of complexity since information for 3-dimensional form and structure of an animal is stored in the cell structure itself. Complexity and more information (comes from a mind, that’s why SETI is looking for information and not random noise) doesn’t argue for a mindless, undirected explanation.
Now, continuing with DNA: the 3 Nobel Laureates discovered after decades of research of mapping at the molecular level that the DNA has 3 molecular systems which constantly monitor the genome and repair any damage.
1. Base Excision Repair - if an amino group is lost and becomes unable to form a base pair, thus breaking the DNA chain an enzyme detects the error, and other enzymes repair it so that the DNA can replicate properly.
2. Nucleotide Excision Repair - through this mechanism, enzymes will cut out (yes cut out), remove, and replace a damaged DNA strand.
3. Mismatch Repair - replication errors often occur as the DNA is copied but enzymes continually detect most of these errors, and other enzymes repair the damaged DNA.*

What this research shows is that for abiogenesis to occur, undirected, random processes must have anticipated the inherent instability of DNA and assembled the cell with the variety of enzymes necessary to prevent the self-destruction of DNA.

*http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/c...ze2015.pdf

No snowtracks, what it shows, again, is that you haven't one fucking clue about what you're pontificating on, and that you simply twist every bit of evidence to fit the lie you convinced yourself to believe.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
Here are some things that would, to me, would cause me to take the idea of gods existence a bit more seriously:

- people being healed of illnesses that are normally not curable (like amputees) in ways that are completely inexplainable, with clear evidence. Healings are often offered as evidence, but they are always either failing to meet these standards.
- prophecies that are clear and very specific that come true would certainly grab my attention. religious books are filled with vague prophesies, and a lot of them still manage to fail.
- a religious book written long ago with amazing knowledge that people could not possibly have had. Not the case for our religious books.
- if people around me really were transformed by there religion, if they really heard the holy spirit instead of just imagining that to be the case, well, that would have been interesting.
- seeing visions and hearing voices would make me worried about my mental health, but I could imagine situations that I would take these serious. for example if these reveal things that I could not possibly know that cannot be explained in another way, like something big that is going to happen the next day.
- etc

I feel like I am very generous here. I think it is very hard to come up with this evidence, just because it does not seem to be there.
Again... If there was evidence, there'd be no reason for belief.
All religions survive because of their unfalsifiabilty ... That's about the best they got.

But it still doesn't stop the fools from parting with their money.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Actually thinking on it, and being generous enough to allow the bible its own terms, I have something convincing. If a being powerful enough to change universal constants enough that pi does equal exactly 3 came along, I'd be happy to call it god.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
The strongest evidence for God's existence for me has been the persistent reality of the Holy Spirit manifesting miraculously through day to day leading, prophecies, supernatural occurrences. For instance, I prayed about changing my name to my birth-name, Joseph and a prophet prophesied over me "Your name is Joseph". I have seen probably thousands of things like this. Often, when I read the scripture, the Holy Spirit shows me specific verses in the Bible which reveal the supernatural character of Christianity.

The authority of the Catholic Church for 2000 years has been based on miracles. I have seen healings and seen objects physically translate. The way that people know a teaching is authentic is through the miraculous.

Alvin Plantinga calls this "properly basic belief" in his book "Warranted Christian Belief". These supernatural occurances are properly basic from a foundationalist standpoint epistemologically because they are as certain as any other experiences. I can vouch for this teaching as being sound and in tune with the miraculous character of Christianity.
(July 16, 2016 at 9:50 pm)joseph_ Wrote: The strongest evidence for God's existence for me has been the persistent reality of the Holy Spirit manifesting miraculously through day to day leading, prophecies, supernatural occurrences. For instance, I prayed about changing my name to my birth-name, Joseph and a prophet prophesied over me "Your name is Joseph". I have seen probably thousands of things like this. Often, when I read the scripture, the Holy Spirit shows me specific verses in the Bible which reveal the supernatural character of Christianity.

You have pretty low standards when it comes to "miracles"...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Really, really big socks left lying everywhere.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you learned that the god of [insert religion] is real, would all bets be off? Sicnoo0 58 4453 February 25, 2024 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Dear Atheists: what would convince you God/Christ is Real? JJoseph 207 11889 February 12, 2024 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  The Historical Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Nishant Xavier 38 2574 August 7, 2023 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3448 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 32 1748 August 6, 2023 at 5:36 pm
  Isaiah 53, 700 B.C: Historical Evidence of the Divine Omniscience. Nishant Xavier 91 4947 August 6, 2023 at 2:19 pm
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 8330 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 2947 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Why the resurrection accounts are not evidence LinuxGal 5 1067 October 29, 2022 at 2:01 pm
  Can you consider Atheism an ethnicity UniverseCaptain 31 2915 September 27, 2021 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: UniverseCaptain