Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 30, 2024, 3:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anger management?
RE: Anger management?
(October 30, 2015 at 12:49 pm)Divinity Wrote: Honestly, you'd have to try to discover the source of your anger before you learn to deal with it.  Unless you know what's making you angry, you won't know how to deal with it.

People taking advantage of me when I do them favors that I really don't have to. Some people in my neighborhood don't have cars for some reason, but if I drive them somewhere they'll eventually start coming around every other day wanting to go somewhere, whether they have money or not.

At worst a couple of people thta I've let into my house for one reason or another had stolen something of mine because I'm not watching them like a hawk.

Being nicer to people than I have to be, and getting stabbed in the back, is what pisses me off the most. One thing used to be harrassment from people in my daily life that I can't avoid, but that pretty much ended after highschool. Except in the case of my dad.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(October 30, 2015 at 1:22 pm)Chad32 Wrote: People taking advantage of me when I do them favors that I really don't have to. Some people in my neighborhood don't have cars for some reason, but if I drive them somewhere they'll eventually start coming around every other day wanting to go somewhere, whether they have money or not.

At worst a couple of people thta I've let into my house for one reason or another had stolen something of mine because I'm not watching them like a hawk.

Being nicer to people than I have to be, and getting stabbed in the back, is what pisses me off the most. One thing used to be harrassment from people in my daily life that I can't avoid, but that pretty much ended after highschool. Except in the case of my dad.

It sounds like you might be a people pleaser.  That's just an offhand observation of course.  Just based on what you've said.  If you change your behaviors, you might find that's a better way to deal with your anger. 

When people ask you for a ride, do you ever say no?  If/When you say no, how do you say it?  Does it stick?  Or do they continue asking for the ride until you give in?  You might want to try setting a limit for how much you're willing to help people with rides.  Remember that your time is worth as much as theirs, and to you your time is worth MORE than theirs.  Remember that you don't have to help people out if you don't want to.  There's nothing wrong with saying no.  No is a good word.  

If people are stealing your stuff, you might consider not inviting those people to your house.  I'm not sure if you live alone, but if others invite people over that steal your stuff, you might want to bring it up with whoever did invite them over.  You want to wait until you've calmed down to do that though, because it can come across as confrontational.  Make sure you stand up for yourself.  If you aren't, that anger is going to build up inside.
I either punch a wall so hard that I writhe in pain and totally forget about what angered me or I get down and start doing push ups until I can't move.
(October 30, 2015 at 12:03 pm)Losty Wrote: Anger isn't something I really deal with often. The movie was great though. Maybe try singing I feel pretty more often? xD
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful Group Hug

Goooooose fraba.
I rely on anger to spark some movement in my brain when I get depressed. In that way, it's highly useful for me - rather be pissed off than near-suicidal.
In times that it's not useful or welcome, I just focus on deep breathing and limiting my contact with people. Luckily very little actually gets me outraged these days.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
(October 30, 2015 at 3:07 pm)Kaiser Wrote: [...] rather be pissed off than near-suicidal.

The two combined is even worse IMO.

I don't ever think anger in and of itself is a good thing... sure it can be motivating but it's like one of the most harmful kinds of motivation.

Near-suicidal is better than fully suicidal and in my experience:...

.... .... ..... ...... ....... ........ ........ motivation is the last thing you need when you're suicidal. I'm including anger directed at oneself BTW (in my experience that's what it was).
(October 30, 2015 at 1:45 pm)Divinity Wrote:
(October 30, 2015 at 1:22 pm)Chad32 Wrote: People taking advantage of me when I do them favors that I really don't have to. Some people in my neighborhood don't have cars for some reason, but if I drive them somewhere they'll eventually start coming around every other day wanting to go somewhere, whether they have money or not.

It sounds like you might be a people pleaser.  That's just an offhand observation of course.  Just based on what you've said.  If you change your behaviors, you might find that's a better way to deal with your anger. 

When people ask you for a ride, do you ever say no?  If/When you say no, how do you say it?  Does it stick?  Or do they continue asking for the ride until you give in?  You might want to try setting a limit for how much you're willing to help people with rides.  Remember that your time is worth as much as theirs, and to you your time is worth MORE than theirs.  Remember that you don't have to help people out if you don't want to.  There's nothing wrong with saying no.  No is a good word.  

If people are stealing your stuff, you might consider not inviting those people to your house.  I'm not sure if you live alone, but if others invite people over that steal your stuff, you might want to bring it up with whoever did invite them over.  You want to wait until you've calmed down to do that though, because it can come across as confrontational.  Make sure you stand up for yourself.  If you aren't, that anger is going to build up inside.

If I say no, they keep at it until I give in. I recently had to cut someone off because he was doing stuff I didn't approve of, and every time I reprimanded him, he'd get ticked off at me for reprimanding him.

I live alone. I'm not used to having to watch people when they're over. The second person to steal from me was a homeless woman who asked for shelter. I'd known her for a bit, and she's always been lazy, but within a week my gaming systems were gone.

I don't want to be cynical and apathetic, but it seems I literally can't afford to be otherwise.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Jesus fucking christ. What the hell are you asking me for. god damn son of a bitch. I got enough problems and now I get this? Now I'm gonna have to go kick the dog. See what you made me do!
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(October 29, 2015 at 1:01 pm)Chad32 Wrote: I red a saying once that anger is like a hot coal that you hold in your hand, planning to throw it at someone. I feel this is true for me, but I can't seem to just let go and try not to let things like what pissed me off happen anymore. Does anyone know anything about anger management?

Really helped me when I was a teenager. It can't hurt to try it out.
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you deal with anger? Macoleco 30 7263 June 25, 2017 at 11:41 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Boundaries (or 'My Latest Exercise in Anger Management') BrianSoddingBoru4 29 2482 August 8, 2016 at 4:08 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Stress Management Advice Edwardo Piet 11 2649 October 3, 2015 at 4:40 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  The relationship between Anger and Aggression. Edwardo Piet 8 5545 February 7, 2011 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Understanding one's anger Edwardo Piet 18 4646 September 16, 2010 at 7:59 am
Last Post: leo-rcc