Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 15, 2024, 5:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
4 Arrested In FB Video Torturing Of A Mentally Challenged Man
RE: 4 Arrested In FB Video Torturing Of A Mentally Challenged Man
(January 6, 2017 at 12:14 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: So someone posts a news story about a disabled man being kidnapped, tortured and beat up while being shouted racial slurs, and you automatically assume the reason someone posted about it is to equate white people persecution with minority persecution? Isn't this a tragedy and hence newsworthy regardless?  

Would the same people have posted it if it was 4 white men and women torturing and kidnapping a black kid? My experience with all of them says, "no."

(January 6, 2017 at 12:14 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Why are some people having such a hard time coming in here and just saying "Wow, that was horrible. That poor man. Yes, racist hate crime indeed." Isn't that what you would say in any other scenario that didn't involve a white person being the victim of people of color? Instead you come in here and reprimand the person for posting the story.

Who's reprimanding anyone? I'm just calling this for what it is. A thread started to make a political point, not to acknowledge the horror. Napo hasn't started a single thread in the last few months that wasn't politically motivated. If you can't see that this one was, too, I hate to say it, but you're a bit naive, dear.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(January 6, 2017 at 12:39 pm)Napoléon Wrote: I posted my thread in News and Current Affairs thanks very much. Maybe A Theist posted his in the Politics forum but since mine got merged into his with his title standing, I imagine that's why it's still there. So kindly go fuck yourself with that accusation.

Did I fucking say you were the one who posted in politics?

Quote:As with the accusation of 'where are you all when black people are the victims of racism', point me to a thread where someone was beaten up by Trump supporters and I'll tell you where I was.

Why don't you just tell me where you were? Have you defended the black guy who got punched in the face at a Trump rally? Did you defend him when the guy who punched him said he should kill him on television?

Quote:Plus it triggers every fucking one of you when you're pointed out to be hypocrites, which I must admit is quite entertaining.

When you use words like trigger, it makes me realize that you have been feeding into the American Conservative rhetoric for way too long. Not everyone who disagrees with you is some SJW who is "triggered." Maybe we just think you act a little overly concerned about white people as opposed to other people for someone who isn't racist. I mean, really. I never see not racist people distinguish people white on black and black on white hate crimes. They're just hate crimes, but you are very fast to talk about who is white and who is black when there's a white kid getting his ass beat. Let me spell this out for all of you. This was fucking horrible. That A Theist is using it to further an agenda is disfuckingsgusting. If you associate with and don't denounce that kind of behavior, you're just as bad as he is and you can go fuck yourself with that nonsense. ETA: You have openly stated that you don't share his agenda. I'm glad to hear it. Still, using this as a means to "point out hypocrisy" isn't exactly compassionate, is it? You could have waited until they were actually being hypocrites about it before you started saying they would be hypocrites about it.
(January 6, 2017 at 12:39 pm)Napoléon Wrote: If that's what you honestly believe then I doubt there's much I can say to dissuade you.

There is no persecution of whites. I haven't seen anyone here say this and it's flat out bullshit to say otherwise. What people do have a problem with is the double standard, and yes, I will point it out at every opportunity until people like yourself actually start acknowledging it. Which is likely never, so we could be here a while.

Plus it triggers every fucking one of you when you're pointed out to be hypocrites, which I must admit is quite entertaining.

What double standards? Did you not see mostly everyone in this thread call this a hate crime? I don't feel triggered at all, and I'm guessing neither does any other liberal in this thread. You're getting entertained by something that doesn't exist.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Shell, you kick ass.

Sorry for the off topic post.

Angel
(January 6, 2017 at 12:46 pm)Faith No More Wrote: Would the same people have posted it if it was 4 white men and women torturing and kidnapping a black kid?  My experience with all of them says, "no."

Truth be told, I didn't even notice there were strings attached when I first replied to this thread. OP's name should have told me as much, but I considered this to be a hate crime right from the get go. Because it was reported as an attack on a disabled person in our news. Which fits the bill of hate crime just fine without attaching additional factors.

This one, for some reason, made international headlines. Others don't. I gather you haven't heard of the homeless man in Berlin being set on fire or the refugee kid suffering severe burn after a shelter was torched. Or the gay man being beaten to a pulp for being gay. Right after he left the gay pride parade. I also get, you haven't read about the incidence I referred to when I first replied to this thread.

All of the above hate crimes. If someone thinks it's only about skin, they have a very narrow understanding of what can be considered a hate crime.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(January 6, 2017 at 12:54 pm)Alasdair Ham Wrote: Shell, you kick ass.

Sorry for the off topic post.

Angel

Not literally. Tib's is a pacifist and I worry about his opinion of me. Tongue
I'm a pacifist too.

I didn't mean it literally. It was code for "you're awesome as fuck" Tongue
(January 6, 2017 at 12:29 pm)Tiberius Wrote:
(January 6, 2017 at 12:14 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Why are some people having such a hard time coming in here and just saying "Wow, that was horrible. That poor man. Yes, racist hate crime indeed." Isn't that what you would say in any other scenario that didn't involve a white person being the victim of people of color? Instead you come in here and reprimand the person for posting the story.

The thing is, I don't think anyone is having a hard time doing that. Read back over the thread and I don't think there is a single person who has denied that it was a hate crime, or even a racist hate crime. However people like A Theist were jumping up and down yesterday trying to convince everyone that people were denying exactly that, despite the fact that the thread is filled with people saying it was a hate crime, racially motivated, etc.

So where I have a problem is whether A Theist is actually so dense that he couldn't be bothered to read the thread properly and see that despite his assumptions, nobody was actually doing the things he was claiming they were doing, or whether he was saying those things to try and turn this thread into an argument over racism towards white people and how liberals all think that only white people can be racist. After being told repeatedly that people weren't denying the racist element of the crime, and A Theist continuing to espouse that view, I can only conclude that he had an ulterior motive for being involved in the thread, because quite honestly I don't think he's that dense.

Right, no one has said "this is not a hate crime." 

But there have been a couple people who have been hesitant to call it a racist hate crime, there have been a couple people who have said it doesn't matter if it's racism, and there have been a couple people who have come in here only to make some sort of objection at the person for having posted it. Some of these same people are the ones to be super quick to call racism on anything when it doesn't involve a white person as the victim, and who wouldn't object to other criminal news stories being posted. I pointed out a specific example earlier. 

So yeah, I'm seeing a double standard among some folks and that's what I'm pointing out personally. I can't speak to A Theist's motivations, though I will point out that he accused Thump of being one of the people who had a problem calling this a race crime when he actually had done just that. And I did call him out for it.

(January 6, 2017 at 12:33 pm)Faith No More Wrote:
(January 6, 2017 at 11:54 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: There are people on AF to be over every story. If it was a story of a white cop beating up a black man, or a priest abusing someone, or a Texas conservative shooting at people, you better believe there would be plenty of people here to be all over it. 

Why do you single this one out?

I didn't single this one out.  I just saw it on the news where they were explaining this crime, and I then predicted which people here would be making a big stink over it trying to score some political point.  They're so desperate to show that white people are persecuted that I'm sure they were salivating when they heard about this story.

I was 4/4, BTW.

I see you're saying you didn't single this one out. But again, I have never seen you go into one of Min's "Damned _____" threads (or any news thread that doesn't involve an approved villain group or approved victim group) and being like "I saw this on the news today and figured you'd post it, and I could predict all the people that would participate."

(January 6, 2017 at 12:46 pm)Faith No More Wrote:
(January 6, 2017 at 12:14 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: So someone posts a news story about a disabled man being kidnapped, tortured and beat up while being shouted racial slurs, and you automatically assume the reason someone posted about it is to equate white people persecution with minority persecution? Isn't this a tragedy and hence newsworthy regardless?  

Would the same people have posted it if it was 4 white men and women torturing and kidnapping a black kid?  My experience with all of them says, "no."

Who's reprimanding anyone?  I'm just calling this for what it is.  A thread started to make a political point, not to acknowledge the horror.  Napo hasn't started a single thread in the last few months that wasn't politically motivated.  If you can't see that this one was, too, I hate to say it, but you're a bit naive, dear.

Again, people post horror stories here to make political points all the time. There are entire threads dedicated to it. Since most people here are left leaning, it's usually a political point that fits that narrative. So why, of all the stories posted here, you chose this one to object to?
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(January 6, 2017 at 1:06 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I see you're saying you didn't single this one out. But again, I have never seen you go into one of Min's "Damned _____" threads (or any news thread that doesn't involve an approved villain group or approved victim group) and being like "I saw this on the news today and figured you'd post it, and I could predict all the people that would participate."

I'm surprised you don't get the distinction. Min's damned threads are collections. They don't really invite a discussion but only provide a list. Everyone's free to refute or discuss what's in them, but as I said, that would require some work and research. Obviously very few people can be bothered to do that.

This thread however is about one incident. The whole purpose of it being posted is to call or bait for a discussion. Which, is up for interpretation.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(January 6, 2017 at 12:44 pm)Tiberius Wrote:
(January 6, 2017 at 12:39 pm)Napoléon Wrote: Maybe A Theist posted his in the Politics forum

More evidence of what I posted above. A Theist clearly had an agenda yesterday to paint every liberal or left leaning participant in this thread as some kind of SJW that doesn't believe in black on white racism.

Hold on. I've been called a neo nazi, Adolf, racist, kkk, and not once have I complained or cried about it...and you're crying because I called a few people SJWs because they skirt around the racial motivation behind the hate crime? (that's not to say they don't believe it wasn't actually racially motivated.They just don't want to come out and say it was).  There's a few participants here on the left leaning side who paint conservatives as nazis or kkk, and I think you know one in particular. Where are you when that happens?

FYI: I don't lump liberals in with the far left. To me they're not the same.
"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Caroline Farrow got arrested, spending 5 hours in jail. Jehanne 2 682 October 18, 2022 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Man Arrested for owning guns. onlinebiker 133 7495 July 26, 2021 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Assange Arrested. Brian37 45 4302 April 11, 2019 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Baltimore, MD - Husband and daughter arrested for murder of Jacquelyn Smith EgoDeath 0 432 March 5, 2019 at 1:49 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Kid arrested for not standing for pledge... Brian37 110 8319 February 22, 2019 at 6:32 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Saudi Arabia accused of torturing female activists by electrocution and flogging WinterHold 6 648 November 24, 2018 at 7:07 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Breaking: American mercenaries torturing Saudi princes WinterHold 16 3068 November 28, 2017 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Breaking: Prince Walid Bin Talal arrested WinterHold 7 2591 November 16, 2017 at 2:15 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Man gets arrested for offending random woman by asking "Are you a mom?" ErGingerbreadMandude 74 24584 June 23, 2017 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Trump is too mentally unstable to be president Foxaèr 15 4630 June 17, 2017 at 11:52 pm
Last Post: Jackalope