Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 8, 2024, 1:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 14 Vote(s) - 4.71 Average
Member Photos
RE: Member Photos
(September 5, 2016 at 6:38 am)Excited Penguin Wrote:
(September 5, 2016 at 6:33 am)Alex K Wrote: Nietzsche is so much fun

Nietzsche is fun the same way German humor is funny.

Two Übermenschen walk into a bar. Says the bartender: "Two Bacardi Superior as usual?"
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(September 5, 2016 at 5:59 am)Alasdair Ham Wrote: seemingly random quotes (I still need[ed] a synonym for "random"):

Update: A friend gave me his own synonym: "untargeted".
Member Photos
(September 5, 2016 at 5:59 am)Alasdair Ham Wrote: Shirtless birthday boy turtle selfie + 4 seemingly random quotes (I still need a synonym for "random"):

[Image: XgiKai9.png]

[Image: 64d8901a8e65c22608cecb1b78d17380.jpg]

[Image: 305195.png]

[Image: 2c17f5e767fa81b5f8655c74157ca458.jpg]

[Image: leonardo_da_vinci_three_classes_of_peopl...vr_650.png]

[Image: quote-where-there-is-most-feeling-there-...275355.jpg]

[Image: 10408-leonardo-da-vinci-famous-quotes.jpg]

[I think he means genuine martyrdom]

Loving the clean cut turtle; very sexy!
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
Photo 
It cleared up last night.   I put the Sidereal tracking mount to the test.  In general, when there is no operator error, it performed well.   However, it is not sufficiently heavy duty to track with a heavy lens, like a Nikon 200-500, mounted off-center.  The mount/lens combo is also insufficiently rigid to absorb vibrations from mild breeze, or remote cable release being moved about.  I didn't have a chance to process the photos yet.  So here are direct JPEG conversions of raw photos:

Orion nebula:  The distortion in the shape of the star comes from lens vibration, not failure of the mount to track:

[Image: _LND5334_zpsge7xm9an.jpg]

Andromeda M31:  This image can use a lot of post processing through stacking multiple images.  Andromeda's central bulge is so much brighter than the spiral arms it is impossible to capture both together in one image, even on a Nikon, which has some of the best dynamic range characteristics of any commercial digital cameras on the market today.   Here you can see faint outlines of the dust lanes in the inner spiral arms.   Outer spiral arms are completely lost.  The full disk of Andromeda would span almost the entire frame.  The small blob underneath Andromeda is a small satellite galaxy orbiting Andromeda.    

[Image: _LND5310_zpseovelzzw.jpg]

Triangulum Galaxy M33:   This should be an almost ideally perfect Spiral galaxy seen face on.  But I am inexperienced and underexposed the picture.  So all you see is a muddy blur with the faintest hint of spiral structure.   M33 is at virtually the same distance from earth as Andromeda, but it only 1/10 as large.

[Image: M33_zpsnti0x5gy.jpg]

Eagle Nebula M16:  This is the tiny smudge near the center of the picture.     It is a star forming region.  What you see is a cloud of glowing ionized hydrogen being lit from inside by about 8000 newly formed stars.  It is about 7000 light years from earth, and lies near the line of sight between the earth and the center of the Milky Way Galaxy.   It seems dim because it is far further from the earth than any of the stars surrounding it in the picture.  

[Image: Eagle%20Nebula_zps4hkf9c8x.jpg]

Now for a picture of the same Nebula by a real camera and tracking system:  Hubble Space Telescope took a famous picture of the central part of the nebula,  The finger like structures are areas of over density in the nebula in which protostars are forming.  It has been called "Pillars of Creation".

[Image: 2560px-Pillars_of_creation_2014_HST_WFC3...noised.jpg]
I had missed when members posted these kinds of photos - thanks!
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Fantastic Anomalo! I hope I can contribute some beauties when I finally get my C8 with a good tracking mount later this year... if I can handle the focal length. Otherwise I'll just piggyback my DSLR.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Brilliant pics.
Those are beautiful, Chuck!

Taking the convertible for a spin, check out the view.
[Image: 29464812636_e5dd1e72c8_h.jpg]
Whereabouts is that?
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pet Photos thread where too much is never enough. Whateverist 1189 131161 May 3, 2024 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  new member asswriter 8 292 April 12, 2024 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  New member MistMuse 7 320 April 2, 2024 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  New member Jillybean 19 762 March 4, 2024 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New member titanif 8 902 October 10, 2023 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: MR. Macabre 666
  [Serious] Hi. Previous member here. I'm so sorry. Steelfist 2 669 September 21, 2023 at 5:00 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New member PaulC 13 1428 August 13, 2023 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  New member Dansup 9 1218 April 1, 2023 at 3:44 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  long time atheist, new member BloodyHeartland 17 2152 February 6, 2022 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  New Member johndoe122931 21 2734 June 2, 2021 at 7:06 am
Last Post: no one