Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 29, 2024, 1:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you care about your significant other's sexual past?
RE: Do you care about your significant other's sexual past?
(August 5, 2015 at 3:14 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(August 5, 2015 at 2:26 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: So you are saying that sex is not very important to you.  Just because you can "work on it" does not mean that it will actually get better.

I can certainly see waiting if sex is not that important to one.  There is no need for a test drive if one does not care how a new car feels or handles.

Nope! No straw, please. Shy

I meant only exactly what I said. Nothing more, nothing less.

Here is your post:

(August 4, 2015 at 11:09 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(August 4, 2015 at 9:52 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: Actually, I did not say what I have done.  I have no intention of saying what I have done.  I am simply engaged in a conversation about various ideas.

Also, I am more sympathetic to your ideas than some here.  But I do not quite agree with you.  It can work out fine, doing as you have done.  Or not.  And it is the "or not" that is at issue.  I am suggesting that, as a practical matter, it would be a good idea to make sure about the sex before marriage.  Of course, if the sex is good, then it would have been fine to wait.  It is only after the sex, though, that one will know one way or the other.

I don't see how it would make a difference... at least to me, personally. Let's rewind to 6 years ago at a time when my now husband and I were about to get engaged. But before we did, lets say we had sex as some sort of little "test." Even if the sex wasn't great, I wouldn't dump someone I loved so much over something that we had our whole lives to improve on. That's what I just don't get about folks saying they have to "test drive" other people. But I guess it's just not my way of thinking.

Now, if sex is important to you, why would it not make a difference if the sex is bad?  Working on it may or may not improve it, so it may be that the bad sex is all you would ever get in such a case.

Are you saying that you care about sex, but do not care if it is bad?

Let us imagine a situation that, happily, is contrary to what has actually happened.  Suppose you had decided to try him out first.  Suppose he was totally inept and terrible at sex.  Suppose that practice did not make perfect, and he was always horrible, no matter what either of you tried.  Now, would you want to be married to him anyway?  If yes, then obviously good sex is not that important to you, as you would never have good sex with him.  If no, then it would make a difference, contrary to what you claim about it not making a difference.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do you care about your significant other's sexual past? - by Pyrrho - August 5, 2015 at 3:43 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] A thought I had about some people's view on some things medical and other things ShinyCrystals 15 859 October 22, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
  Thoughts on sexual services? Macoleco 25 2228 September 7, 2022 at 10:57 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  One of these things is not like the other ones Angrboda 1 410 December 6, 2021 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Fun phrases from other countries/cultures. Gawdzilla Sama 3 349 August 3, 2020 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Bannings, Reports, and Other Actions? no one 21 2999 June 11, 2020 at 7:27 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Other forums you belong to... arewethereyet 9 919 June 8, 2020 at 7:50 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Other forums just aren't the same Violet 18 1484 May 3, 2020 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: Violet
  How were past times so violent? Macoleco 17 1194 April 19, 2020 at 11:45 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  [Serious] How do you get over your past mistakes? [Please Don't judge me] GODZILLA 12 1190 June 3, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Interlocutor and other ugly words. Succubus 0 221 March 29, 2019 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: Succubus