Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 27, 2024, 1:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When Atheists Can't Think Episode 1: No Evidence for God?
RE: When Atheists Can't Think Episode 1: No Evidence for God?
I mean...knowledge and belief are only different insomuch as cars and Porsches are different. All Porsches are cars, but not all cars are Porsches.

Likewise, all knowledge is belief, but not all belief is knowledge.

To believe something, you must simply be convinced of it. This might be done through evidence, or it might be done through trickery of the mind (intentional or otherwise, from the self and/or from elsewhere).

To be able to claim that you know something, you must be able to somehow show that your belief is true. Knowledge can be demonstrated by evidence of some kind, whereas mere belief might fail such a test. To put it simply, if you can't show it, you don't know it.

This brings us to the question of the gods. You can insist that whichever one you like is real, and that you have a real relationship with it, and that if we just take the time to hypnotize ourselves into suspending disbelief like you did, we'll become convinced the same way you were.

The problem with that is that I used to do that exact thing. I spent hours and hours praying, singing, reading, ministering, and sincerely believing in Jehovah for over 20 years. I have since realized that there are scientific explanations for my religious experiences that are more likely and more evidence-supported than the conclusions I previously reached from them.

I've also realized that the things I used to accept as evidence (personal experience, confirmation bias, apologetics arguments, etc.) are not actually good evidence that a rational mind should be convinced by. Being an otherwise rational, scientifically-minded person, I could no longer justify the double standard in critical thinking between my rational beliefs and my beliefs concerning the supernatural.
Verbatim from the mouth of Jesus (retranslated from a retranslation of a copy of a copy):

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you too will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. How can you see your brother's head up his ass when your own vision is darkened by your head being even further up your ass? How can you say to your brother, 'Get your head out of your ass,' when all the time your head is up your own ass? You hypocrite! First take your head out of your own ass, and then you will see clearly who has his head up his ass and who doesn't." Matthew 7:1-5 (also Luke 6: 41-42)

Also, I has a website: www.RedbeardThePink.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: When Atheists Can't Think Episode 1: No Evidence for God? - by Redbeard The Pink - December 23, 2015 at 8:12 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you think Atheists are stupid? Authari 121 6132 January 4, 2024 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Do you think God is authoritarian? ShinyCrystals 65 3419 December 9, 2023 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The Historical Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Nishant Xavier 38 2613 August 7, 2023 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3509 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 32 1773 August 6, 2023 at 5:36 pm
  Isaiah 53, 700 B.C: Historical Evidence of the Divine Omniscience. Nishant Xavier 91 5022 August 6, 2023 at 2:19 pm
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 8455 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 2988 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  How much pain can atheists withstand ? The End of Atheism 290 18980 May 13, 2023 at 4:22 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Europeans already think about Harry Potter, not about god Interaktive 11 1142 January 1, 2023 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4