Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 28, 2024, 3:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Ultimate Value and the signs of it in ourselves.
RE: The Ultimate Value and the signs of it in ourselves.
(January 14, 2016 at 2:39 pm)Jenny A Wrote: There is no objectively right answer.  There is nothing to which you can show error.  

And like prettiness, a person's worth is a subjective judgment.  
Ok so there is no right or wrong answer regarding value. Then you say:
Quote:Except that many, many people did very much value Hitler, and that gave him great real, even awful power.  Others disagree and find him awful.  I find him awful.  But, my choice is not objective.  It is personal, and cultural, and naturally I think it's right.  But that doesn't make it inherently right in the sense that his weight at any given time is a correct number. 

Why do you think it's right if there is nothing to which you can show error (per your words)? 
This is the crux of the issue. You value of Hitler is the negative scale, in the minuses, right? But you say has none what so ever, it's determined by what people assign to him. The issue is why do people assign to him a value in the first place? You said you think your opinion of him being awful is right. Now let's discuss this, why do you think your opinion is right? And why do you have that opinion? 
I'm trying to understand. To me, it seems he is awful only because he ought to not have been like that. There is more valuable ways he ought to have lived his life and there is ways we negatively condemn (opposite to valuing or negative value) by believing it's truly negative, condemned or evil.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Ultimate Value and the signs of it in ourselves. - by MysticKnight - January 14, 2016 at 3:32 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do humans have inherent value? Macoleco 39 2344 June 14, 2021 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  So how much should we concern ourselves with morality? How much is enough? Whateverist 9 1486 July 16, 2017 at 10:48 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  When are we not ourselves? KUSA 74 7448 June 17, 2016 at 6:03 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  What is 'objective' value? henryp 159 22477 January 24, 2016 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Truth in context vs ultimate truth bennyboy 20 4639 March 15, 2015 at 6:07 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  The essence of value Mystic 11 2946 March 6, 2014 at 1:14 am
Last Post: *Deidre*
  The value of a human life (and why abortion, economics, pulling the plug and triage) Autumnlicious 24 13476 June 26, 2010 at 5:54 am
Last Post: Violet