Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 6, 2024, 2:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Christianity responsible for anti gay bigotry?
RE: Is Christianity responsible for anti gay bigotry?
According to some books I've read about Roman culture, there was anti-gay sentiment in pre-Christian Roman society, which was heavily Patriarchal in its family-structures among the upper classes.

The influx of Greek ideas moderated that, somewhat, and set up the clash-between-ideologies that I think allowed Christianity to take root in the Roman civilization, since there existed a number of "traditionalist" people who disdained the Greek openness (just as in modern America, where we have liberals and conservatives who hate one another's ideas, and the latter group tends to cling to severe religious beliefs as a way to combat the laissez-faire attitudes of the former).

What began as a cult of anti-sex radicals eventually morphed into the machine we see, today, but it kept its loathing of the (Greek) attitudes toward sexuality, from Paul's railing against temple prostitution to the OT ideas about homosexuality.
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is Christianity responsible for anti gay bigotry? - by TheRocketSurgeon - March 8, 2016 at 10:05 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Satan, anti-christ, false prophet vorlon13 43 8331 November 14, 2017 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Billy Graham's Daughter says transgender people responsible for 9/11 Aroura 23 5059 May 15, 2016 at 7:02 am
Last Post: abaris
  Question for the anti's.......? ronedee 57 5982 March 12, 2016 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 7092 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Anti-christ? wolfclan96 225 37288 August 20, 2015 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  At its Core, Christianity is a Gay Religion Rhondazvous 34 6849 July 6, 2015 at 10:15 am
Last Post: Metis
  An Anti-Gay Preacher In My Hometown Was Busted On Grindr Faith No More 50 14463 May 25, 2015 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Stupidest Anti Evolution Argument Ever. Jacob(smooth) 50 6667 September 26, 2014 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Christianity vs Gnostic Christianity themonkeyman 12 8581 December 26, 2013 at 11:00 am
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  How do you avoid being held responsible for rape: Jesus! TaraJo 20 5776 December 24, 2013 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: TaraJo