Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 27, 2024, 1:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
People are scared and I don't blame them.
RE: People are scared and I don't blame them.
When it comes to children, I feel that teaching them how to think is the most important thing. Making them aware of religions is absolutely fine in my opinion. Shielding them will probably cause more problems than it will solve. They're going to come across it eventually.

I'm never having children, but if I did, I'd explain the popular kind of beliefs, and then I'd explore them along with my child. I'd allow them to ask the questions themselves, and work through it all. I would give my opinion when asked, along with the reasons. Personally, I wouldn't beat down on religion, I'd stick to the facts as much as possible.

My parents (shit though they have been in other ways) did nurture my critical thinking when I was young. They didn't even mention religion to me, as far as I can remember. They didn't tell me it even existed, and certainly gave no opinion either way. I discovered it for myself when I encountered it in school. This was back when teachers were allowed to force everyone to pray and such in assembly.

As an unprogrammed five year old, I saw through it immediately, and that was that. I don't think I even went home and asked my parents about it. I felt no need.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Messages In This Thread
RE: People are scared and I don't blame them. - by robvalue - July 5, 2016 at 3:28 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Blame shouldn't stop you from doing god's will Ignis 16 1306 September 11, 2018 at 9:57 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Ahlulbayt in Quran and blindness to them is best explained by dark magic. Mystic 39 4299 May 31, 2018 at 4:35 am
Last Post: ignoramus
Star and I will command them so they will change the creation of Allah. WinterHold 0 591 December 8, 2017 at 3:10 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  I hope they were sincere believers as the boars ate them . . . vorlon13 6 1688 May 26, 2017 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  In muslims schools teachers beat kids and teach them hate toward non-muslims Fake Messiah 26 4990 January 25, 2017 at 10:27 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda